“Nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Carlton George Hotel

You added Carlton George Hotel to your Saves list
Carlton George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West George Street, Glasgow G2 1DH, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #12 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow
“Nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2009

We spent the first 2 nights of our married life together in this hotel and it was fabulous.We booked a standard room but were upgraded to a club room. The room was spacious, clean and the bed was huge. We had a balcony room and took advantage of the fact and sat out there with a couple of the complimentary drinks. The food in Windows restaurant is amazing and we are definitely going back there. Room service a little pricey.
This is a really nice hotel to stay in Glasgow and is central to everywhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Turkish first
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2009

The Carlton George is situated right in the heart of Glasgow, near trains , airport link buses and the Underground railway just next door so it is ideally suited for shopping or touring. My experience of the hotel was totally positive, Rooms were spotless, check-in totally friendly and efficient, The decor while somewhat dated had a comfortable feel. It is true the air con. unit is noisy but no more so than similar units. The hotel is not modern or slick so if thats what your after do not book here but if you want a friendly warm atmosphere, helpful staff and a central location, look no further.

P.S. I slept like a log

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 24, 2009
Thank you for your kind comments. Our priorities are to give our guests a comfortable, friendly, clean place to stay and I am delighted that we are achieving this.
It is particularly pleasing to receive such positive comments about the levels of hospitality.

Scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Like the last reader I too was disappointed having read earlier great reviews. Chose the hotel for location which was excellent for going to the SECC and shopping. The room was clean and comfortable BUT I had booked a superior ( I was later told this is the same as a standard!!! not the price tho') which looked on to the dark 'courtyard' which had a massive air conditioning unit as the sole occupant. This we could live with, didn't come for the view (just as well) but to be woken at 6am by very loud noises from trolley's being moved in the next door linen cupboard we couldn't accept. We did complain to reception but there was very little in the way of apology and as the room was paid for in advance there was nothing they could offer, which they didn't anyway. As we left a few 'laughs' were heard... I did mention I would write a review and there you have it..,..sadly not to be recommended !

• Stayed October 2009
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, November 4, 2009
I am sorry that your stay was not as positive as it could have been. I have taken up the issue of noise with our linen supplier, please accept my apologies that your were woken by this. I can assure you that my team and I take guest care very seriously and that they were certainly not laughing at your early wake up.
We do have 3 classes of rooms, superior, executive and club, should you wish an outisde facing one on future visits then please ask for an executive or club room.

London, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2009

On paper - and based on the other reviews - this should be a simply superb hotel. It should be one of the best in Glasgow with its excellent location, styling and facilities. As I say, on paper.

What I experienced, however, was a catalogue of problems which would ensure I wouldn't consider staying there again. I was booked in to stay for one night in a 'club' grade room - these are the best types of room and one pays a premium for the luxury. But luxury it was not.

The room suffered from two sets of problems - housekeeping and maintenance. On the housekeeping side of things we found disgusting stained cushions and headboard, we found dirty floors in the bathroom, we found a previous guests food purchases left in the mini bar and the mini bar itself was supposed to be well-stocked but we were given the leftovers. To top matters off, the room just seemed dusty and in need of a deep clean.

On the maintenance front, like other guests we found the air con too noisy for use overnight and there seemed to be a large gap between the floor and the bottom of the door which let in light from the corridor at night - very disturbing if you're hoping for a good night's sleep. A free wi-fi pass was supposed to be provided with this room type but that was not forthcoming either.

Breakfast is a dead loss. Although there is no tray charge to have the breakfast in your room at the weekend, which is a good thing, don't expect them to get the order right. We had the toast missed off the order and after complaining we got a rack of cold toast delivered to the room, they provided the wrong hot beverages and further the actual quality of the food was pretty poor.

All things considered, a pretty awful trip and a waste of the best part of £150 for a single night. So I wrote to the hotel management, received a call a few days later saying the matter was being investigated. And then nothing. No contact whatsoever. Clearly I'm not a valued customer.

Words fail me - it's like this hotel SHOULD be good but they just need to get their act together. That, and get better housekeeping staff.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
I am sorry that you found the hotel disappointing on this visit. I trust that you are now happy with my response and action.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

We've stayed here 5 or 6 times before. The location is unbeatable - right in the middle of the main shopping area, 2 minutes from Queen St station and 7 mins from Central, and 1 minte from the subway. The staff were as always friendly and helpful, and the room well appointed. Be warned - if you like a room overlooking the street (as we do) and like to sleep with the window open rather than have the aircon on it is NOISY - all the locals seem to think they have fantastic singing voices after a pint or 12 at 2am! Also the bins are emptied in the night so no good if you're a light sleeper.

We dined in Windows one evening and were very impressed with the taste and presentation of the food, and the service from Kersty was great. I found breakfast extremely disappointing - they used to serve a freshly cooked 'full Scottish' but now everything is self service, including one morning the coffee! If breakfast wasn't included in the rate I certainly wouldn't pay extra for it - there are loads of eateries in the area that do breakfast.

As with any hotel there are a few niggles but all in all this is a good hotel in an excellant location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to leave such detailed and worthwhile feedback. As we are in the heart of the city there is always noise at night, I am glad this did not disrupt you too much.
We have made some changes to breakfast service in response to guest comments, many have asked us to bring a more self-service approch in, though we are always happy to provide table service. I am glad that you were well looked after by Kersti during dinner.

Scotland, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

We have stayed at this hotel twice its ok but a bit expensive. It has a very popular executive lounge on the top floor with complementary coffee, snacks and a bar with beer wine, spirits etc.

Our room was very dark, very little natural light. The bathroom sink was blocked and was very slow to drain as a result of this. Also some of the lighting in the room was faulty. So some outstanding maintenance issues need to be fixed before it can seriously call itself a four star hotel.

The main problem for me was getting to sleep at night. There is a continual droning noise from the air conditioning plant. I did complain twice about this but nothing was done. A return visit is not being planned.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback. I do apologise that you found the room too noisy and that their were maintenance issues, I am sure that these would hav ebeen rectified as soon as my team were made aware of them. I do hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Fremantle, Oz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

Used as a stopover between travelling from London and then onward by train to Fort William, the Carlton George is right next door to the railway station. It has spacious rooms and although aging a little is well maintained and clean.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
I do hope your trip to Fort William was a success. Thnak you for your comments, we will begin a refurbishment of our bedrooms in November 2009.

Duncan Johnston

Been to Carlton George Hotel? Share your experiences!