“When can I return?” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
new hampshire
“When can I return?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

My husband and I were both very taken with this hotel. We stayed at three hotels on our recent trip, and this hotel was by far the most comfortable and enjoyable. The other two hotels were in London and forgettable.
I can't find fault with anything about it. The room was spacious and so was the bathroom. The towels were plentiful and the minifridge was stocked with free soft drinks. There were also Scotch and other spirits in the room at no charge. In the lounge there was additional alcohol to be had at no charge, and although drinking isn't important to us, we were impressed that it was available at no charge.
The location was perfect to downtown, the Queen Street station, the Glasgow School of Art which was designed by Rennie Mackintosh.
The buses and other public transportation was very handy to the hotel. We found the staff very helpful, and the breakfast was very expansive. Not only was there a buffet for the cereal, croissants, fruit and so on, but a hot Scottish full breakfast could be had as well, and was very good.
We ate one dinner at the hotel and we found that was delicious as well.

Also two computers were available in the lounge at no charge. In the hotels we stayed at in London, they charged up to $7.50 AN HOUR to use the internet.
All in all, we would have liked to stay an extra day in Glasgow in order to enjoy this hotel another day!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2009
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments- it is always pleasing to hear that we are getting things right. I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow in the future.I will ensure my team brush up on their knowledge of shopping hours.

Duncan Johnston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Turkish first
edinburgh
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

We stayed here last year and were very impressed, not so much this time, however. The staff seemed to be in a dream. Our double room only had one set of towels and I had to phone twice, once at night and then again in the morning when I needed the towels, to get them to bring them up. On checkout, it was a good job I carefully checked the credit card amount as it was more than twice the value of the bill! It then took sometime for them to put through the refund.

The room telephone looked as if it could have done with a good clean.

Breakfast was good; however, for £14 a head I would expect them to make the toast rather than have to queue to do it myself with one of those conveyor things.

I'll certainly be thinking carefully before booking here again.

Dear Guest,

Please accept my apologies for failing to meet with your expectations, your feedback is valued and I can assure you that all points will be addressed.

Kind Regards

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2009

Maybe I had been spoiled on my trip to Scotland with staying at 4 and 5 star hotels, but was so disappointed when we arrived for out last night at this hotel. The food in the restaurant was adequate but noone was there to help with luggage, we had to park a few blocks away and walk by the subway at night and the stench was horrible. No nightlife in proximity...I thought the free minibar sounded intriguing. Believe me not worth staying. The drinks were in decanters and I was very concered about health precautions as to how many people had been drinking from those decanters. It was obvious it had been used many times over. Any other items in the minibar were convenient store snacks and enough for 1 person even though there were 2 of us in the room.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2009
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept my apologies that no assistance was offered with your baggage. Being a City Centre property, parking can be difficult, though you could have unloaded your car directly outside the hotel. I do disagree that there is no nightlife in the proximity, we are surrounded by varied and high quality clubs, bars and restaurants.
Our minibars and decanters are checked and refilled daily and high standards of hygiene are adhered to.

Inverness
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

There were 7 of us meeting up for a girlie weekend and my friend Marion came across this excellent value for money hotel in a brilliant location. The service we received for the duration of our stay was superb, service is one thing that I am very critical of and I could not critise one bit of the service. Staff were very friendly and helpful which added to our weekend away. Food was great too! Rooms were of a good standard and okay I am getting to it, the executive lounge and free minibar was brilliant!!! The executive lounge gave us a good place for a good old blether. Can not recommend this hotel enough, it was FAB!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2009
I am pleased that we are achieving our goal of excellent customer service. Glad you enjoyed your weekend away and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.

Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2009

Hotel in good location, but that was about all that I can be positive about.for this hotel.
Staff on reception on arrival not infomative. I had to enquire about hotel facilities, breakfast, checkout etc.
I was allocated to room 507 at the back of the hotel, view was a brick wall with the added luxury of a noisy air conditioning unit from the back of the hotel bar "Waxy O'Connors". When I enquired with reception about the possibility of being moved, they declined instantly but assured me the noise from the aircon outside would stop at 10pm. However, the noise continued all the time during my 2 day stay. Also my room was far too hot, so much so I couldn't sleep.

Break fast was disappointing. The coffee was so strong it was undrinkable and the cooked scottish breakfast was dripping with grease and my fried egg had a lump of plastic wrapping served on top.

The worst of all was reception staff member Graeme Reilly. He phoned my room at 11.50 am to tell me to check out, when in fact check out was not until 12 o clock. He was soo rude. Then when I arrived at reception at 11.58, he again continued with his bad manners and general grumpiness. He never said please or thankyou, but just was as rude as he possibly could. He then informed me that he was the hotel manager when I complained about his behaviour.

I would recommend that all hotel staff learn something that's free and most important - good manners. Must do better Carlton George!!!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 12, 2009
I am sorry that your stay did not meet with your expectations. Customer service is our top priority and I can assure you that this experience was cerainly not the norm.
The extraction should indeed have been switched off at 10pm, please accept my apologies for this.
I will certainly look into your comments about the air-conditioning and breakfast.

Regards
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2009

We stayed at this super hotel right in the middle of the shopping area for a weekend.
All staff we encountered were fantastic, nothing was too much trouble.
What really impressed me about this place was that the minibar and spirits were all free! How refreshing to receive this unexpected bonus.
We didn't have dinner but breakfast was hot and tasty.
I would stay here everytime I needed a treat, I live in Glasgow but well worth it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback, it is always encouraging to read that we are meeting guest expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Carlton George in the future.

Regards
fife
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

great location for night out and shopping....but these are the only positives about our stay at this hotel! on arrival we were given the key for our executive room..on entering we immediately realised it was already someone elses room....handbag, mobile phone,luggage and clothes already there! we went back to reception where they allocated another room but really offered not much of an apology, they relly couldnt care less. the next room was half the size of the previous room..we complained again , were upgraded to a club room...which was still half size of the first one..but it did have biscuits and some crisps!!! on our arrival we had also been told that our evening meal which had been part of our package had to be taken by 6pm as the restaurant was fully booked...this was not advised when booking. we were supposed to be meeting friends at 5 for some drinks but had to cancel as it would just be a mad rush! we were rather fed up by this point but thought we would wait till morning to speak to a manager. when checking out we were being charged for a lunch (which was also part of our package) at waxy,s next door which we hadn,t used because of all the hassle with the room on the saturday, we didnt get settled in a room till after 3....there was no point in going for our lunch at that time when we were to have our evening meal by 6! when a manager finally came to speak with us...20 minutes later they were very polite and apologetic saying that all this muddle up was certainly not what the carlton george hotel was about . they were going to get back to us the following day once they had all the information and spoken to the staff involved. after no contact was made at all on the monday i had to call them....sgain the reservations manager whom i spoke to said she would call me back that day and apologised AGAIN. when she did call back she brought to my attention that we had been upgraded to a club room...the one with the biscuits and crisps! ! ...when i said that the whole thing had been a shambles, being given the key to someone elses room, the hassle with the evening meal and the lunch, the fact we werent happy with the way it had all been handled, she offered us an upgrade to a club room with a balcony on our next visit. well there wont be one...we went there in good faith expecting a high standard of hotel which the carlton george portrays itself as. i am now waiting on the general manager who is on holiday getting back to us, but im not holding my breath!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
DuncanJohnston, General Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, April 16, 2009
Mrs Blythe,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We do take customer care seriously and can assure you that this is in no way indicative of the norm here at the Carlton George.
Please accept my apologies that you were allocated an occupied room and that the restaurant was too busy to accommodate your booking at your preferred time. I cna assure you that should you wish to stay in the future you will experience true Carlton hospitality and service.

Duncan Johnston

Been to Carlton George Hotel? Share your experiences!