“Downtown Carlton George Hotel, Glasgaow 5/2013” 4 of 5 stars

Carlton George Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   44 West George Street, Glasgow G2 1DH, Scotland   |
Ranked #12 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Western Ireland
“Downtown Carlton George Hotel, Glasgaow 5/2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Great location, great view of the city from the rooftop restaurant, awesome bar in central square area of Downtown. Very convenient to excellent shopping, a wide variety of restaurants nearby as well. The 1 minor drawback was no on-site parking (if you have a rental car). The staff was more than accommodating, the rooms very comfortable, and the lounge amenities include free wi-fi, beverages and snacks.

Room Tip: UPGRADE to the King - comes w/ access to the 7th floor lounge and free beverages
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Turkish first
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

When I booked this hotel it sounded expensive. However the room is HUGE! Great location. Book an executive room and you get access to lounge with complimentary drinks til almost midnight. I can honestly say, WELL worth the cost. Give yourself a treat people and spend a night here .

• Stayed May 2013
Stratford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights this spring. We found the staff very helpful , room was comfortable with restful bed and nicely appointed bathroom. Could have had better lighting around the desk area. Heating did not seem to work properly and wifi was not consistent. The roof top dining room was lovely with great views of the city. Excellent breakfast.
Enjoyed the entrance to the adjoining pub....an extra bonus. A great hotel for exploring Glasgow.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
New Forest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I need to travel for business and spend a fair amount of time in city hotels. When this one was booked by my travel company I expected the usual standard, basic room and service. Not this time. The Carlton George is smack bang in the middle of the city and near to everything. But it was quiet in my room and I had a wonderful night's sleep. I took advantage of the room service as I was working and the evening meal was good. The breakfast was superb!

Best of all? Lovely bed, generous towel size, hot shower, free mini bar (I don't drink but there were soft drinks too) and no service charges for room service. Will I be back? I hope so. Well done Carlton...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

It took me years stopping in Glasgow to finally find myself getting a room at this hotel.
What a shame I should say.
This one is now my second best hotel in Glasgow.
The quality of the welcome and service is amazing. Shall I say that the mini-bar not only is fitted with a whisky jug but also completely free. Even if I had no use for it, that just sums up the wonderful hospitality of the place.
A must being the Windows restaurant, top floor, rooftop, with a great view.
What still makes them second in my mind, the annoying noise of maids, in the corridor, far too early on the sole morning I was expecting some sleep (and had this "Please let me have some sleep" sign on the door).
And the fact that the breakfast is not on par with the overall quality. Buffet breakfast, cooked food staying in hotbeds, quite annoying from my point of view.
Still a very good place, be it for business travel or romantic stop in town.

Room Tip: Street rooms might be better as the "inside" ones face a closed (chimney-like) street lack...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
DuncanJohnston, Manager at Carlton George Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Hi Sam,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your stay with us, and I'm glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed with a few items while you were here, and I'd appreciate it if you could contact me directly on jmacdougall@george.carltonhotels.co.uk so I can discuss these in more detail with you - we take our guests concerns very seriously and appreciate any feedback.

We hope to welcome you back tot he Carlton George soon, and hope to become your favourite hotel in Glasgow!

Kind regards,
John Macdougall
Sales Manager
Rockhampton, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I strangely had never stayed at this hotel and finally came to have a booking there for a couple of days.
The actual quality of the welcome was impressive and so is the service overall.
Rooms are of fair size, well-equipped and boast a first-of-a-kind free open bar ... including whisky jug. Not that I would use a sip but the only fact that this is the first time I see this speaks for itself when it comes to looking at service offered.
Now, I actually said that this hotel would be my second best in Glasgow and it does not top the list for just two main reasons.
Early noise in the corridors - by the maids - proved a pain especially when I have a "I need to sleep sign on my door".
Then, the breakfast - served at rooftop restaurant, boasting a wonderful view - just lacks the quality one would expect here.
It is just a basic buffet (hence hot food sitting in hotbeds for ages. Nothing cooked right away) not missing much but definitely looking quite cheap compared to the overall hotel standard.
In the end, a hotel I still recommend be it for business or romantic stop in Glasgow. The place and people are nice. The overall quality just needs to step up a very little bit and they'll be top top class.

Room Tip: Street rooms might face a little more noise but other rooms face some kind of chimney-like street so...
Greenock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel before many times, always for business, this time my wife arranged an overnight stay so we didn't have any late night travel after a city night out.

The hotel is not massive, an advantage for a city hotel guest, means the service can be more personal. Located a stones throw from George Square and most of the city, the location could not be better.

The rooms are modern enough, LCD TVs have been fitted, there is a complimentary mini bar, decanters of spirits and tea/coffee making facilities. Other usual items are on hand like a hairdryer.

Although the decor has not changed in a good few years the place is not dated, it still looks good and has been reasonably well maintained, there were a few water marks on the ceiling but you can find this in any hotel and they were minor. The only thing i could find out of place was a little cracking in the grout around the bath panel, other than this the place was very clean and very well maintained.

We ate in the Windows Restaurant on the 7th floor, overlooking the city rooftops, watching the traffic go by was just sublime, a perfect location for a relaxing evening meal.

We had booked dinner, bed and breakfast which includes either the set menu or the equivalent value from the a la carte menu.

We opted for a mixture from each menu, everything they brought was well presented and tasted very nice, I had a lamb shank for the first time in my life and was very surprised at how good it was.

A couple of very reasonably priced glasses of vino with the meal and dinner with a view was complete. Service was excellent, worthy of a much higher priced menu.

The hotel is built over the subway so if you are very quiet and on a lower floor, you can hear it rumble past below, but only just.

If you book a suite or a club room there is a complimentary executive lounge, this is very nice but has a limited range of drinks and closes before 11.

A very pleasant stay in a clean and inviting city hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you want to make sure you get the quietest stay.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Carlton George Hotel? Share your experiences!