“It's a Hilton - it was a nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 25% on Weekend Stays
Ranked #23 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Scotland
“It's a Hilton - it was a nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

Should really rate Hiltons in their own category as the standard is always good to very good. This was a nice hotel, very friendly staff. Room was clean and of a good standard. Very comfortable bed and a quiet night sleep was had. Only a few items to mention that could be improved.

The in room wifi was abysmal. We couldn't stay connected for more then 10 minutes before you were dropped. Complaining didn't solve much as we were told BT was called to fix something (which wasn't fixed - the next day it was just as bad). The cost was removed from our bill which was nice, but having in room wifi was pretty important to us so this was a let down. We've had similar wifi problems in other Hiltons as well, wonder why?

We did not opt for a paper in the morning, yet every morning we received one which we had to return to the front desk. A mix up of some sort.

The buffet breakfast was fantastic - go for the cooked breakfast which was absolutely delicious. Eggs (scrambled and fried), sausages, bacon, haggis, black pudding, beans, mushrooms, tomato, potato scone, hash browns - great stuff! Made to order omelets, cold meat and cheese, cereal, everything you'd expect. Only complaint here is the Sat morning the place was heaving with families, line to get in was long, and the atmosphere was chaotic. I don't think they were prepared for so many people.

Had room service at about midnight. They didn't have the onion rings which were marked as being available on the 24hr menu, so a bit disappointed in that. The pizza was so-so, fries were good, Came quickly and was very hot.

All and all it was a good stay - I'll give it a very good as all Hiltons are all usually very good. Had we had good wifi it may have been excellent. Please look into the in-room wifi service.

Room Tip: Rooms higher up will have good views of Glasgow.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Nicole J, Guest Relations Officer at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
Dear FreqTrav99,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and value your feedback. Hotel internet is a project we have been working on recently and has now been improved since your stay with us , this is now a service which is now provided complimentary for all our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Guest Relations Officer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
Lockerbie, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

I've delayed my review of this hotel which I stayed in last Saturday night to give the 'operations manager' of the hotel some time to deal with my complaints. A week later and I've heard nothing, I feel as though you've had ample opportunity to process and investigate my issues.

I am Hhonors Diamond member which entitles me to a space available upgrade. Despite my profile being available to the check in assistant, no mention was made of an upgrade until I asked. I was told I could have double points instead, NO THANKS, I'll take my upgrade. Despite it being available that night, as clearly indicated on their website, I was not given my upgrade. I've added a photograph below so everyone can see the upgrade was available at the time of check in. I was even charged for the bottles of water put in my room. Obviously, I had these charges removed.

We arrived pretty late, we were there for a night on the town. Would you believe we were disturbed in our room and told not to talk, it was disturbing other guests. If the sound proofing is so bad in your hotel that one cannot hold a normal level conversation at any time of the day or night, then you need to revisit your 'cheap' rooms. Perhaps if they had honoured the promised upgrade, it might have been better. I've stayed at EVERY single type of room in this hotel in my day. There is no way this is a five star property except for the ridiculous prices charged in the bar! Don't even take a single drink in this hotel, you will feel ripped off!

The room was basic, clean and tidy, they amenities are basic, think Holiday inn express! The bathrooms are also very basic, shower over bath etc. Just not good enough for an alleged five star property.

I usually have breakfast in my room and now I remember why I do. Breakfast the next day was a shambles. A ten minute wait just to be plonked down at a half cleared table. The host at the breakfast reception was pleasant and tried to make a joke out of the wait. We were fine with waiting until, eventually, we were abandoned at our table.

No plates! I had to go ask for them, five star or no star? Where else would you need to ask for a plate! The food was just ok, I was told by the ops manager they did over five hundred breakfasts that morning. Big whoop! I said, better 50 done well, than 500 done in the manner they did that morning.

The atmosphere in the hotel is not welcoming, again, not a five star welcome. Not good enough.

Lastly and the biggest disappointment is the lack of care, and I am considered a 'top customer' in their eyes, being at the Diamond level of hhonors. I can't imagine how they treat joe blogs off the street! You've been warned, don't chance it, don't waste your money, don't end up disappointed!

Go elsewhere!

Room Tip: My only tip would be to choose a different hotel, if you do end up there, don't take any nonsens...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
HiltonGlasgow, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear Pr0fessi0nalC0uple,

Thank you for your taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for getting in touch.

It was great to have the opportunity to discuss your review in further detail and be able to resolve the areas detailed within your review.

All Tripadvisor reviews are shared with our management team to ensure that collectively we are listening to our loyal guests feedback.

Once again I apologise for the lack of service you received during and after your stay and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel on your next visit to Glasgow.

scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

Just returned from a 2 night stay at the hilton concierge staff very good as we're the
Reception staff room was nice but I can understand given the size of bathroom why
They don't have a separate shower the bed was comfy but the quilt was pathetic as thin as a sheet tried the food in the bar was good but expensive breakfast was excellent my only gripe on our last night their was a private function on I felt that the staff in the bar were more interested in sieving the private function guests And ignored the hotel guests to make matters worse we the couldn't pay cash as by the time we got served it was 5 to midnight to had to charge to our room no big deal just annoying If you want a good steak go to grill on the corner delicious and if you want a laugh then a night at the comedy stand tickets on line but get their early as it's very busy I think next time we go to Glasgow we will try the marriot as it practically next door to the hilton

Dear Shirls666,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

We do appreciate your feedback to help improve our guests experience. I do apologise for the inconvenience caused at the bar during your time in the hotel your comments have been communicated to our management team to review.

We do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the furture.

Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2014

This was my first stay at a Hilton hotel and I must say I am impressed, I now understand the hype behind the hotel chain. Our room was large and it had many comfortable amenities, the pool facilities were good although if I had to be picky I'd say that the jacuzzi was just a touch too small however, the rest of the facilities were of a high standard. The breakfast was superb, an excellent buffet style selection of very high quality food. I don't normally eat haggis but it was excellent so I couldn't resist....the staff are a compliment to the hotel, we were served at the reception by 'Rachel' who was extremely pleasant and helpful. I already can't wait to return, it's well worth the money!

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Michaelh88-11,

Thank you for your great review of your stay at Hilton Glasgow and for awarding us full marks.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed at the hilton in Glasgow for 2 nights in business. Lots of things wrong with the room such as clocks set to the wrong time which made me late for a very important meeting, toilet did not flush, had to pay for wifi and the cleaner barged in the room at 6 o'clock and woke me up! But the worst is yet to come. Me and my friend went down to the spa and there was too much chlorine in the jacuzzi and it's was very strong we could breath properly and it was making our eyes water, but it also was so strong it stripped the colour from our real silver bracelets and ruined them. I then went to complain and received the worst customer service I have ever had! They are not accepting liability and did not take any of my complaints serious I was and still am outraged! I urge people to stay away there are far better hotels in Glasgow.

• Stayed February 2014
Nicole J, Guest Relations Officer at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Crichardso,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

Please accept my sincerest apologies your experience was not a pleasant one and your problems were not resolved to your satisfaction.

If you would like to discuss this with me further please contact me on 0141 204 5555 or you can email me at Nicole.Johnstone@hilton.com.

alfreton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff and would definitely recommend the breakfast;- go for the Scottish touches, haggis (better than M&S-the only one I've had), porridge with whisky accompaniment, and dried fruit (apricots and dates, etc) that have been reconstituted, a welcome change from the fruit you usually get..
Had a room on the 11th floor overlooking the motorway. A fantastic view of the city but with no traffic noise at all.

Room Tip: go for a room high up and enjoy the views. note- views as good on any side..
LisaLaverty, Manager at Hilton Glasgow, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear gadaboutgrandma,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your breakfast and found the hotel a good place to stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

My boyfriend was staying here for work and I came to surprise him.

The staff were very helpful throughout the stay.

Walking to the hotel from the city centre seems a bit sketchy as it takes you behind the hotel first which is quite empty, as soon as you get around the corner, it's ok again. It is very well located for the bus to and from the airport, which was very handy as I didn't know Glasgow at all, and I easily found my way there from the bus stop on Bothwell Street.

The food in the hotel bar was very pleasant and I ate there a couple of times, once in the bar and once taking food up to the room.

Breakfast was good and there was a very good choice of cooked and continental breakfasts. The kitchen staff were very approachable and happy to poach a couple of eggs for me every morning.

I took advantage of the spa and had a massage one morning which was very much needed. Although a little of waiting around beforehand, Donna, who did my massage was very good and made me feel nice and relaxed.

Dear beany63,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hilton Glasgow.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and managed to take advantage of our Ocean Room Spa.

It is great you got to experience the dining options we offer in Hilton Glasgow and we really appreciate your kind feedback.

We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to Glasgow.

Guest Relations Officer

Been to Hilton Glasgow? Share your experiences!