“good value, but tired...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Chappaqua, New York
“good value, but tired...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

For its location attached to the Conference Center, it's perfect. And its perch on the river is quite nice, with a smashing view of BBC Scotland right across the way. But the facility is a bit dated and tired

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback for us after your stay. I’m pleased our location is perfect for you and I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (329)
Bolton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed at this hotel as I was going to a conference at the SECC. There is a covered walkway direct to the conference centre which was great as the weather was very bad. The first room I was given was 419 which was directly behind the lifts a towards the back of the hotel. There was still a view of the Cyde but also a view of the back of the SECC and the bins. I asked to change for a room at the front of the hotel and this was no problem. I was given room 802 which had a lovely view and was much quieter. It is only a short trip, two stops, on the tram from Central Station. The trams are very frequent and only cost £1.60 return to get into the centre of Glasgow. The breakfast had a very good selection of hot and cold food. I would expect fresh fruit salad at a hotel like this but most of it was tinned but the tinned grapefruit was refreshing. I did not find the hot food at all greasy it was very well cooked. There is also food cooked to order so I ordered smoked haddock and poached egg which was excellent. I did not eat at the hotel as it is only a short walk to a restaurant complex with Italian,Thai, Chinese and Japanese food they offer a theatre menu. All in all a good hotel I would stay again only downside - the tinned fruit at breakfast and being charged £10 a day for WIFI which should be free.

Room Tip: Rooms with lower numbers are at the front of the hotel and have better views. Rooms ending in 19 are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I’m very pleased to read that everything during your stay was great and you enjoyed your time with us. I have taken your comments concerning our WiFi on board and this will be discussed at the earliest convenience. I hope to welcome you back soon.

Dalry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

.....looking through the reviews prior to adding our own, it's hard to believe that we've stayed in the same hotel as other previous complaining guests with adverse comments as we disagree on 95% of their remarks, even though it was evident we'd stayed within days of each other.

We arrived well head of check in time and did not expect our room to be ready however, the girls on reception were completely accommodating as well as Bob the Porter. We were given all details on the hotels facilities including the loyalty scheme which we've accepted and the 20% discount voucher for our lunch & drinks was well received. Thank you.

We were appointed an Executive Suite, for which full price was paid and were not disappointed in our accommodation or the standard of room. We had beautiful views of the city and couldn't have been more comfortable. We have stayed in a number of hotels in the city centre, because that was the location we wanted to be within....hence them being city centre locations!!

Our reason for choosing this hotel however, was a special occasion as well as a Xmas present to my partner and tickets for an evening show in the SECC. And again, delighted with what we received.

Our only drawback, it has to be said, was the lack of available selection of drinks in the Executive Lounge as well as the poor (very) canapés offered. This would have been "okay" if it had not been for the fact that our swipe card would not activate the door to enter the lounge and thus, having to go down 15 floors to have it activated. Without going into detail, we did speak to the Duty Manager to put right, a few remarks we had to give, mostly on customer service training for one individual in the Executive Lounge however, David Meade, the Duty Manager was very professional in the way he handled the situation.

As explained to us on arrival, breakfast in the Executive Lounge would be limited to continental, we opted to head down stairs for a wider selection. Arriving at 11.20am we did think we would receive the last of the buffet, however, were pleasantly surprised and certainly set us up for a hearty day.

So all in all the full experience was a positive and will we be back??? Absolutely and although David Meade deserves time off, it would be good to see him again too :)

Room Tip: High floored suites on the corners of the hotel have fantastic views :)
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us a great deal and found our hotel to be comfortable and our tea members efficient and polite. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Dropped into your hotel today for lunch between meetings at the SECC.

After ordering, I tried to check email on my iPad. On trying to connect to your wi fi network I was met with the following message....

If you don't have credentials, please ask the front desk.

Not surprisingly, when I asked your front desk for some credentials they had no idea what I was talking about. However, they did tell me that there was a cost to accessing the Internet.

Do you really think it is acceptable to charge for wi fi access when I am already buying lunch? #ripoff

Given that a credential is an attestation of qualification, competence, or authority, do you think it is appropriate to ask your guests if they have credentials?

Dr Jim Hamill

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Drjimhamill,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding the internet charges. We will look into this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for Olly Murs concert 16/03/2013 and could only praise this hotel. The only thing was the wait for the lift as one was out of order as we were on the 12th floor. We would not hesitate to return to this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for taking the time to review your time with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us while attending a concert at the SECC. I am extremely happy to read that you would not hesitate to return and I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Alloa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked this as a birthday treat for my wife, when we checked in we as Priority members we got a free upgrade when the receptionist told me what the price was, I mentioned that it wasn't chargeable as it was booked with my points, she then insisted that it wasn't, to be honest I was less than pleased with her attitude. She gave me the pass key to the room and said that she would again check it out, I was only in the room a matter of minutes when I got a call from the desk, to be told that I was correct that it was a free stay pre-booked well in advance.....just as well I didn't wait for a sorry for the mix up as it never came. So apart from that we loved our stay room was fantastic and the view over the city stunning, loved the bar, but not the prices, loved the breakfast wide selection for every taste.

Room Tip: Higher floors have great views across the city.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your time with us. I’m very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found everything to be satisfactory. I would like to extend my apologies for the incident when you checked in and although I’m happy it was sorted out, I’m sorry you didn’t receive an apology for the mix up. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Belper, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

A very good standard of business hotel, good Location and good car park.

I stayed on the 16th floor and made use of the excellent facilities in the Club Lounge.

The meal in the evening was more than adequate and the breakfast was up to standard.

The room had everything that I needed, except....

Please Crowne Plaza group, get up to date and let's have free wifi in the hotel, especially if we've paid to upgrade...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for reviewing your business stay with our hotel. I am pleased to read that you were impressed with our hotel and found it to have everything you needed. Your comments concerning our WiFi have been noted and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Dominic McVey

Been to Crowne Plaza Glasgow? Share your experiences!