“Pity a out the lack of free WiFi” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Covington, Virginia
“Pity a out the lack of free WiFi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my family of 4 for 6 nights. No Problems, had a great room A king Suite with a view of the Clyde & city of Glasgow. The kids were in a pull out bed in an adjoining room great bonus for us. The lighting in the bathroom was very poor for putting make up on & the bathroom had no fan. The lighting in the bedrooms I felt was also quite dim. My main issue with this Hotel was the lack of free wifi. If you ask at the lobby you can get 30 min free wifi a day in the lobby area only. Ridiculous in this day & age. The Internet service is very slow when you do get on. On a positive note the staff were very accommodating & we enjoyed our stay. It's location is not great for walking to the city center & the access roads to the hotel take some getting used to.

• Stayed September 2012
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent stay at our hotel. I’m pleased to read that your suite was of high standards and our team members were accommodating. In regard to our WiFi, I was concerned to hear that you found it very slow which I have passed on to our providers to investigate further. Concerning our proximity to the city, we are extremely lucky to be so close to the train station which only costs £1.50 each way into the city centre. I hope you stay with us again soon.

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (327)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

After reading the last review, I would just like to add that we also enjoyed our stay. The staff, rooms, view, breakfast were all very good. The main reason I write is to add how easy and cheap it is to travel into the city. We used the train from Finnieston station which is only a short walk from the hotel and almost all under cover. It cost £1.50 each return and we did not have to wait longer than 5 minutes in either direction. We had expected to use taxis however as the train station is so near, there was no need.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for outlining how cheap and easy the public transport system is and how close we are to it. I’m pleased to read that you also enjoyed your stay and we maintained our high standards throughout your stay across the board. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We came across the Itison deal and thought as we'd never been to the hotel, it would be great to try on such a good offer, incase we didn't like it.

On arrival we were greeted by a very friendly and helpful young lady who made us feel extremely welcome from the moment she started to check us in. It was also clear she knew her job well and could point us in the direction of all amenities we'd possible require and told us a lot about the hotel etc. (appreciated as we were new to the hotel & didn't know where anything was located). She also asked us where we'd prefer our room to be located in the hotel - low floor, a mid floor or high floor (appreciated that also!).

We were given a twin room which was modern and extremely clean. The views were fab. The room having a mini fridge was such a great added bonus as it allowed us to keep drinks we'd purchased nice and cold however a complimentary bottle of both still and sparkling water are there for you on arrival so you won't go thirsty. The complimentary drinks & snacks including hot chocolate, oat biscuits and little chocolates were a lovely touch! Slept like babies due to the comfy beds & pillows.

Afternoon tea was beautiful. We were given a slate serving platter containing 6 sandwiches, 8 small cakes and 2 small scones with pots of clotted cream & jam to be shared between two people (very tasty and filling) along with a glass of prosecco, thoroughly enjoyed it!

We spent the afternoon using the leisure facilities i.e. swimming pool, steam room and jacuzzi which were very relaxing. Young man who works there couldn't have been more helpful.

Only slight negative point and this is a personal opinion, was the menus in the bar & restaurant were not to our taste and also seemed a little pricey. This didn't bother us too much as we travelled into the centre to spend the evening but we do enjoy when staying at hotels, to give their restaurants our custom. It cost us a bit of money travelling to and from the centre using taxis but that can't be helped as we chose to stay here for a trip where we knew we wanted to shop etc. If coming for a show at SECC this hotel would be fantastic! Do have to add breakfast however was delicious and had so much choice (far too much to mention but if anybody was to struggle to find something I'd be very surprised!).

Our stay from the moment we arrived until the moment we checked out was superb and we will hopefully stay here again in the near future :).

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Thank you for such a lovely review of our hotel. I’m pleased you managed to get such a great deal on a stay here so you could experience everything we have to offer to our guests. I’m glad our reception staff made you feel well looked after; we will always strive to make our guests as comfortable as possible and letting you choose your room when we can is an important part of that. I’m pleased you enjoyed our facilities and your breakfast too.

I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I was given a voucher when I retired and we decided to visit Glasgow. The choice of hotel couldn't have been better but for the fact that it was not central. Setting this aside, the reception was very welcoming and friendly as were all the staff.The room was very comfortable, the view of the river good and everything was what a hotel should be like. Breakfast selection was very generous and the buffet dinner of lamb was excellent. Considering what is available at this cost level, there is very little doubt in my mind that the competition will find it hard to beat. Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for such a lovely review of the Crowne Plaza. I am so pleased that our team members were welcoming and friendly; we always strive to deliver this to our guests. I’m glad you enjoyed your meals with us and said we’re highly recommended. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Glsgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

Beautiful river views of Glasgow from our room and from the panoramic lift which goes up the side of the building.Very comfortable, luxurious bedroom with plenty of space. Good room service menu and late check-out. Friendly staff who made us feel very welcome. Next time we go we will make use of the excellent leisure facilities

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay. I’m happy to read that you found our team members to be warm and welcoming as well as enjoying your room. Our landscape really is stunning, I’m glad you managed to enjoy it. I hope to welcome you back soon where you can experience our leisure facilities.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I bought an itison voucher and recently redeemed it. It was for one night bed and breakfast and afternoon tea with bubbly for 2 people. Check in was fine, the room was fine, looked nice enough, was very spacious and was clean although maybe a wee bit dusty.

We went for our Afternoon tea which was for 2, we had a 3rd person with us who was only meeting us for a few hours and planned to have lunch while we were having our afternoon tea. The waitress just looked at her strangely when she explained she was just there to have lunch and when she asked if she could have a glass of whatever we were getting with our afternoon tea and she would pay for it. The waitress barely opened her mouth..if we asked for anything she would come back with it, but never once did she ask how things were or even smile or ask if we wanted anything cleared away! We actually sat at the table for a few hours and went to the bar and ordered more drinks but nobody came and cleared anything away. Also, when one us went to the bar we had to wait for ages to get served, because the two barmaids were loading the dishwasher and seemed to think that was more important than serving a customer!

When i am at at hotel i do not tend to spend much time in the hotel as i tend to be out and about, but this time i spent a lot of time in the hotel as i wasnt feeling too great, so we decided later to have dinner at the hotel and instead of going out just watch a movie there as i had seen on the website they did pay per view movies and it was also stated in there welcome folder, although i couldnt seem to find them. So we decided to go have dinner then find out how to work it.

Dinner was a bit of a disaster...we were not too hungry after our afternoon tea so decided just to share a pizza and some chips. Well the pizza was definately over cooked, it wasnt burnt but we had problems trying to cut it, and we had to result to tearing it apart...we didnt finish it. My jaw was actually sore from trying to chew it. Again, when the waiter/barman brought our pizza i don't think he said one word to us, it was just put down in front of us and that was that! It was completely over priced...i could pay almost half of what i paid for a very good pizza elsewhere. I didn't see the point in commenting on the pizza at the time because i think if people think it is ok to serve that to someone then i would just be wasting my time. It was a real dissapointment after the lovely afternoon tea.

After dinner, i went to ask how to work the pay per view (i have never used it before in any hotel as i usually go out). I was told they no longer have it because they now have new TV's with Freeview! Well in that case it should not be advertised on there website and stated in there folder. If i had known i would of had dinner earlier and then went out!

The next morning we went for breakfast, where we had to stand in a queue for about 5 minutes. One guy came and took the hotel room of a few people in front of us and ushered them to a table but never came back for ages, then someone else appeared, and we were finally seated. If they need to take the room numbers there should be someone always standing at that point to do so, so people do not have to stand about waiting. Although, when we sat down a guy quickly offered us tea or coffee. The breakfast was nice enough, but i hear a lot of people having to ask for things, that clearly were not being filled up quickly enough. Saying that the staff that were around that area always looked busy so it wasnt that they weren't doing anything, there maybe just wasn't enough of them to deal with it all!

I suppose it wasn't a bad stay, it is maybe just because i spent more time in the hotel than i would normally that i noticed things. The negatives were mostly minor service issues, although there seemed to be quite a few of them. My mum who was travelling with me commented that the staff reminded her of robots, they did what you wanted but if they spoke to you it was like they were talking from a script, and you normally just got one word answers. There wasn't any friendly conversation at all. It wasn't that they were rude they just didn't come across as very welcoming, except from the girls at the reception desk.

If i was going to something at the SECC then i would consider staying at this hotel, but other than that i can't see why i would need to go back, there are other better hotels not too far away!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for writing such a comprehensive review of your stay at our hotel. After reading your review I am sorry that our team members did not seem welcoming or efficient at breakfast. I am very concerned that you found some of our team less than welcoming as this is not normally an issue we have encountered. Rest assured I have spoken to the relevant managers who have taken your feedback on board and wish to be associated with my apologies to you.

I am particularly grateful for your feedback on the meals you had as we are currently in the process of changing all the menus in the hotel and changing the style of service in our restaurant . I hope this hasn’t marred your view of our establishment and I look forward to welcoming your back to the hotel in the future.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

This hotel is just outside the city but only a short taxi ride away, or twenty minute walk. The rooms have some fantastic views. The staff are really friendly and very helpful. I stay for business and find it ideal.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
QMHManager, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you would stay again on business or pleasure; our location is ideal for either! I hope to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Dominic McVey

Been to Crowne Plaza Glasgow? Share your experiences!