“A great hotel in Glasgow” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #34 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“A great hotel in Glasgow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed here for a night on one of the Itison deals which gave Afternoon Tea, and an overnight stay with breakfast for £65 and what a great deal this truned out to be!

We've stayed here many times before and apart from the obvious benefit of it being attached to the SECC when attending a gig or show, this hotel continues to impress.

Check-in was quick as expected and the friendly reception staff were helpful and efficient. All the staff we encountered were friendly and helpful and can't be faulted. The hotel fixtures and decor are looking a little tired but they are on par with other hotels in Glasgow and indeed other Crowne Plaza's around the UK.

Initially we had a couple of wee problems with our room. Firstly the picture on our TV was snowy and unwatchable, and there was a terrible 'click, click, bump' coming from the heating/air conditioning unit every 20 seconds or so which we would not have been able to sleep through. After a call to reception a handyman quickly appeared. He was unable to fix the TV so he made a call to the hotel manager who immediately offered us an upgrade to a 'club room'. This gave us access to the 'Club Lounge' with free beer, wine and canapés from 5:30pm until 8pm. As I mentioned the £65 was seeming like a bit of a bargain now!

It's been mentioned many times her but the hotel itself is a bit far out the town and a taxi from the rank at the door will cost around £6 to Central area or it is a pleasant 20 minute walk along the banks of the River Clyde if you're up for a walk. Apart from the hotels own restaurant theres a few places to eat nearby, the 'Yen' (Chinese/Thai), 'India Quay' (Indian) and 'City Cafe' (in the Hilton Garden Inn) are all superb with fare to suit all tastes at very reasonable prices. All 3 are a short 5 minute walk from the Crowne Plaza.

We really like this hotel and will return here again when looking to stay in the Glasgow area. The views from the high floors is amazing, the beds are superb ( if it would have fitted, the duvet would have been in my luggage! Loved it!), the amenities are excellent quality and the room is quiet throughout the night. Best nights sleep I've had in a hotel in a while.

Excellent hotel, comes recommended by us!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor and pay to upgrade to a club room if you can.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and that you also experienced the Club Floors along with the Club Lounge. The views are great from the 15th and 16th floors.

Please don't leave it too long before you visit again,

Dominic McVey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (328)
Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on an ITISON voucher. For £65 we had afternoon tea with sparkling wine, an overnight stay and breakfast.

Afternoon Tea:
Possibly not enough sandwiches! We really enjoyed our afternoon tea, I would have preferred a cafetiere of fresh coffee rather than a pot that tasted as if it had been kept warm. Having said that, the sandwiches, cakes and scones were all delicious and the area it is served in is very pleasant. The service was acceptable, I didn't feel the staff were attentive enough - it would have been nice to have been asked if we were enjoying our tea and if there was anything needed. All in all very nice though.

Room:

Pretty much everything a hotel room needs.It felt a little old fashioned because of the decor but it was very comfy. I'm always pleased when there's a working iron in the room although again this one seemed a bit old. We weren't sure if the water in the mini bar was complimentary or not. Recently I've been finding that hotels as standard are offering water and a couple of soft drinks as standard.
Check in was quick and pleasant. There was a VERY rude man at the concierges desk who stared at me when I stood in front of him while saying nothing! I asked him if I could check in and all he replied was 'no'! I was a bit shocked he was so blunt and eventually he said ;The girls will do it' and waved his hand towards the correct area. Not a pleasant start! Luckily the check in girls were lovely and made up for his rude behaviour.
A tip - the front of the hotel is a taxi rank, our taxi driver on the way into town told us we shouldn't have bothered calling for one as there are normally cars waiting.

We would return to the Crowne Plaza, but only on a deal and only if we were going to the SECC as it's a bit far out of the centre for us. Taxis before midnight are about £6 and after that about £9 so the costs are made up by taxi fare!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thankyou for such a comprehensive review following your stay. All feedback is useful and we discuss all comments on a regular basis. I have asked our Front Office Maanager to look into the unacceptable attitude that was displayed to you. I am pleased that the receptionist redeemed the situation.

I hope you will be back soon.

SCOTLAND
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

After purchasing a special offer from itison.com which included an afternoon tea, I would have to say it was good value for money.
Room I stayed at was very modern, huge kingsize bed with fantastic views over the River clyde.
Afternoon tea was lovely and the buffet breakfast in the morning offered lots of choice, to suit everybody.
The hotel is linked directly onto the SECC, where there is a Wh Smith and also an information point about transport which is manned by friendly staff who will give you very helpfull advice.
I also took the low level train to Central Station to go into the city centre, train runs every 15 mins and cost £1.50 return, taxi one way will set you back about £5.00. If you do wish a taxi my only advice is beware there prices can be a high and could rip you off!
I would definately stay here again as it was ideal to what I was looking for.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor as you will get great views over the River Clyde and over the City.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. All our rooms have river views and you are correct - the views are even better the higher you go. This is one of the advantages of reserving a XClub Room as they are on the 15th and 16th Floors and you get access to the Club Lounge.

Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Ended up in Glasgow recently when my Easyjet flight couldn't land in Aberdeen due to fog & got put up here on diverting. Really good qulaity accommodation central enough to be handy but away from the busiest of areas in the rejuvenated dockland area near vthe SECC, BBC Scotland, Squinty Bridge & Finniston Crane.

Bar friendly but pricey. Rooms modern, spacious & comfortable. Breakfast excellent. Staff efficient at reception, totally unfazed by have 50-odd weary & irked travellers, 170 miles away from where they needed to be, arrive just before midnight.

Room Tip: High tower, so for views as high a floor as possible & lifts very fast.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Thanks for your review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay particularly as it was as a result of a delayed flight. We are a popular hotel with a considerable amount of Airport related business due to the quick travel links. I hope you did manage to relax and that you may come back and visit us again.

Regards.

Ayr, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

I just want to get out the road the bad thing. When we arrived the bedroom had to been dusted or hovered. This was my only disappointment. We stayed on a Itison deal & had a great time. Afternoon Tea was lovely, Staff we very nice and we loved relaxing in the leisure facilities.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Thankyou so much for your review. I have discussed your comments with our Housekeeper who wishes to be associated with my apologies - no excuse really!
i'm sorry.

Hope you will come and see us again soon.

Stirling, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here with my two kids, food is expensive but really nice. Great breakfast. Good little fitness suite. The staff were very friendly amd courteous, in fact they were excellent couldn't do enough for us. We weren't going to the SECC, but this is excellent for a visit to there and the science museum. normally stay at the Menzies or the thistle....this might be a bit further from the shops, but just as good. Definately be back.

• Stayed July 2012
, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Thankyou for your review. I hope the Kids enjoyed their stay with us too!

I hope we can look forward to welcoming you back especially if you are attending an event or Concert in the SECC as we do have a direct link corridor - you don't even have to go outside!

stevenston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel a few times over the past years - even when it was the Moat House, and took advantage of a deal when it came up for an overnight stay with breakfast and afternoon tea. I purchased 2 vouchers and booked 2 rooms for 1 night, however changed my mind and decided to go with my husband for 2 nights which the girl at reservations very kindly changed for me. I managed to upgrade to a club room for an additional fee (very grateful the girl at reservations managed to secure this for me even though rooms were not showing on her system) Having stayed at most of the big Glasgow hotels inc. Blythswood Square and the new Hotel Indigo I did not really have very high expectations for the Crowne Plaza, being an older more established hotel but we had a fantastic stay. The club floor rooms have a fantastic view over the Clyde and we were very fortunate to choose the one glorious sunny weekend we had at the end of April this year (think it was our summer !!) Sooo worth paying extra for a club room. The rooms are a little more plush than standard ones, very clean and quiet as so far up also with the advantage of using the Club lounge, which you access with your room key, for complimentary soft drinks/ snacks through the day and beer and wine and snacks in the evening. It was lovely to have a pre-dinner drink in the club lounge while admiring the views over the city. You can also take advantage of a lighter early breakfast in the club lounge if you don't want the bother of going down to the main restaurant, we didn't and pigged out at the main breakfast downstairs (as you do!) which we could not fault. We had the complimentary afternoon tea on the second day - a lovely array of pastries, sandwiches and scones with tea/coffee and a glass of fizzy wine served by very courteous staff in the lovely quarterdeck lounge. The hotel has a beauty salon and I had a hot stone massage while I was there. It was lovely and the staff very professional although minor niggle not really spa standard facilities - you could hear a lot of noise from outside the room when getting your treatment as located next to reception - would probably benefit hotel to move the gym and put a spa area overlooking the pool instead. Didn't really see any other spa area other than waiting room at Isis and the pool was more of a family swimming pool than a spa pool. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, we had a fabulous weekend and will definately be returning soon.

Room Tip: worth paying the extra for a club room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Thankyou for posting such a comprehensive review following your stay. I am pleased that you enjoyed the Club Room experience. You are correct, the views are great and the Club Lounge is grat for a pre dinner drink.

Dominic McVey

Been to Crowne Plaza Glasgow? Share your experiences!