“Not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
GLASGOW
“Not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed here 1 night as I was at a meeting it took me 3 visits to reception to get into my room due to the battery on the door died. Needless to say a trip up with the duty manager and maintenance and I was in. The rooms are really nice modern clean and decorated to a high standard my only complaint was the ac in the room being way too loud for a peaceful nights sleep. The shower was exceptional good power and te champagne setting was especially nice.
I used the fitness centre twice I must say the pool is lovely and the jacuzzi is awesome. My issue was the equipment in the tiny gym was ancient. I do interval training in the gym and I was genuinely worried about sprinting on the treadmill in case I broke it! Also I needed tw interval setting on the rower Which it didn't have after asking the guy who was on the gym reception.
All in all it wasn't the bet or worst stay I've had if my company wasn't paying I might have minded more.

• Stayed June 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This is the second time we have visited the hotel, this time as a family. We had a club room, its well worth it as drink prices in the hotel are a bit pricey. It cost £17.50 for a coffee, glass of milk, diet coke, bottle of cider and pint of beer. At least being in a club room, gives you access to drinks and snacks throughtout the day and you dont have to worry about expensive bar bills. Staff were extremely friendly, especially with our 1 year old. Nothing was too much bother for them and they were happy to help. Female showers in the swimming pool changing rooms were freezing, but the chap got onto it straight away and the next day they were warm. Could do with a DVD player in the bedrooms esp for families as when baby is in her bed, it would have been nice to watch a DVD we brought. A highchair in the club room would be helpful, as trying to feed a 1 year old on your knee is not easy. Food excellant and we stayed on for Sunday lunch. Never thought we would have to do anything further with our car park ticket, went to put it in the barrier and it said we owed £2.50. Yet my brother got his car park for free as he came and joined us for lunch. Took 2 attempts of phoning for assistance and explaining we had stayed and bought Sunday lunch before we got out and half a dozen cars behind us..they must have thought i had just forgotten to pay for my ticket. That needs addressing as it made me look a bit daft!! But we wills till be back, but wiser this time to car parking

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
The heading on your review says it all. Thanks very much. We regularly price check our bar tarrifs with other major hotels and find that we do charge considerably less, similarly with our restaurant menus etc.
Your other comments are noted and will be reviewed at our Operations Meeting.

Liverpool
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2011

The Glasgow Crowne Plaza isn’t like other Crowne Plaza hotels I’ve stayed at. My first impression was that the hotel, which was previously a Moat House, is a little dated. The air conditioning in the room was too loud for me to leave on overnight which was annoying as it’s not possible to open the window. I was also disappointed by the gym which is small and has old equipment. On a positive note, the staff are professional and friendly and the restaurant offers a very nice and good value “hot table” carvery option every evening. The hotel is also ideally located for the SECC.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
DJMcVEY, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Glasgow, responded to this review, July 4, 2011
Thankyou for posting a review following your stay. I am pleased to confirm, following clent feedback , we called in specialist AC Engineers who have finally identified the root of the problem resulting in a major investment to replace our system. This work is scheduled to be finished in the next 10 days. ( No disruption whilst works carried out )
I hope you will come back and visit soon.

Regards

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

Stayed here for one night when attending Take That concert at Hampden. Check-in was a bit slow but it was very busy with other concert attendees and airline cabin crew. Got a double room on the 10th floor which looked just like those on website, so wasn't disappointed. Room had nice views over the water and the city. Had everything you need in it - tea/coffee, mini bar, hairdryer etc but our only gripe would be that the window didn't open at all.Not sure if this is for health & safety reasons or because of the design of the building (exterior is all mirrored glass). Room was a bit stuffy and although it does have air con, the air quality wasn't great and I felt dehydrated in the morning. Other than that, the room was clean and definitely served its purpose.
Didn't have dinner at the hotel but we did have a late drink in the Quarterdeck Bar - I say 'a drink' because it was just the one. At just over £14 for two Baileys, we weren't keen to make a night of it.
We were down quite early for breakfast and the hot buffet was plentiful and very tasty. Friendly and attentive staff. Check out was swift and pain-free. Knew about the £5 parking charge so not too upset about that - at least this hotel has parking where a lot of other more central hotels don't. All in all, a nice hotel and perfect for a 1 night stay such as ours. Not sure I would choose to stay there if I was down for a weekend break in Glasgow as not quite central enough, but if attending an event at the SECC, you can't get any closer!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting a review. I hope you enjoyed the Concert. As you quite correctly stated, Check In was busy due to the number of guests staying due to Take That. Glad you enjoyed the breakfast as well.
Whilst the Hotel is not City Centre, we enjoy a great Riverside location with great views and have the benefit of a large on site car park. The City centre is only 5 mins in a taxi which you can get from the rank at the front door.
Hope you will stay with us again,

Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We booked 2 rooms here for one night after the Elton John Concert at the SECC. Loved it! Great rooms on the 14th floor. Fabulous views of the Clyde and beyond. Rooms were lovely. A little tired but spotlessly clean, with some nice touches. Complimentary tea and coffee tray and water. Little spray for your pillow to aid sleep, bathrobes etc. We were delighted with it all. Staff were very helpful and friendly. At check-in it was very busy but everyone dealt with quickly and efficiently. Breakfast next day was delicious. Freshly cooked and lots of choice. Did not mind the £5 charge for parking as it enabled us to leave the car after checking out, to do some shopping etc. We are already planning our next visit!

Room Tip: Ask the staff - they want to help!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Great review , thanks for posting it. Delighted to read that you are already planning a return trip.

Malaysia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

We stayed a night at the Crowne Plaza. The room was good, clean and fairly large, with all the amenities common to a hotel of this class. The breakfast buffet had a reasonable spread. We didn't have any occasion to call for any hotel services, but the various staff at the reception/concierge were all quite friendly.

Location wise it's right next to the SECC and the 'Armadillo', which is great if you're attending any events there. Otherwise it's away from the city centre.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Thanks for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

As you quite correctly state, the Hotel is a short taxi ride into the City Centre but well worth it due to the riverside location, attached to the SECC with a large car park,

Oslo, Norway
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Not worth the money. We booked in December 2010 and asked for a double room, but did not get it when we came to stay last week The hotel could not give us any explanations other that they did not have any available and as the receptionist looked like it was a bit weird that two women wanted to share a bed (we been married for six years) we just thought it was another hotel with an attitude problem, but then I saw other people have had the same problem. They promised us a newspaper in the room, we did not get it any of the days we stayed there. I asked them to come and pick my dry cleaning at 8 am one morning but nobody showed up and when I called back after breakfast I was told that it was too late and that I had to wait for the next day. In the end they came to pick it up anyway, but I had to fight for that one and that should not be necessary in a hotel like that. The breakfast was poor and they did not give us what they promised in the leaflet on every breakfast table. We will never go back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Thankyou for posting a review. Feedback is always important even if we do sometimes get it occasionaly wrong.

Advance Purchase rates are for standard rooms only and neither Double or Twin Rooms can be guaranteed even if requested at the time of booking.Bedrooms are then allocated on arrival, subject to availability and whilst we do our utmost to honour all requests - sometimes this is not possible. Following similar feedback we have reviewed the bedroom description in an effort to make this more clear. I highlight this, not as an excuse but by way of an explanation.

There is however no possible excuse for the issues you had with the Laundry, newspaper and breakfast all of which has been discussed with the relevent manager.

Despite your comments, I do hope you will reconsider and stay again with us so as to see that improvements have been made.

Dominic McVey

Been to Crowne Plaza Glasgow? Share your experiences!