“Worst hotel in Glasgow” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #67 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Worst hotel in Glasgow”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

We deeply regretted staying at this hotel. We go to Glasgow every November for 2 or 3 nights but this was our first time here. We had booked a special package online which was supposed to include a "Glasgow explorers gift bag" with snacks, drink & discount coupons. When we arrived we didn't get this bag & despite asking several times during our stay and being kept waiting around a lot & promises from staff that it would be brought to our room we never ever saw it. We heard one member of staff whisper to another "I wish they'd quit advertising that deal." It was all very embarrassing - not the nice treat we thought we had booked. We were told that as my husband is a reward card member we were due a free drink in the bar so we went down the first evening. There the barman knew nothing about free drinks & had to ask the duty manager (again very embarrassing). We were then told we could only have one free drink between us even though there were two of us booked into a double room. How tight is that? Onto the room... We had been Christmas shopping before we checked in and were planning to do lots more in Glasgow. The room was so small that when we arrived with our shopping there was literally nowhere to put it or our suitcase. The toilet seat was unclean with what looked like poo smeared on it, but as I was desperate to use it I ended up getting wet wipes from my handbag & cleaning it myself rather than try to complain. When we checked out I was expecting the usual enquiry "how was your stay?" but there was no such enquiry from the young lad on reception. When I tried to tell him we hadn't enjoyed our stay he just said "right" in a very disinterested manner. To cap the whole experience off, once home I got an email from the chain asking me to review my stay but the link in the email didn't work so I couldn't do it. And as for hubby's reward card? The points were never credited & I can't submit a claim for them without a receipt but we didn't get one. Not only would I not stay at this hotel again, following this experince I would have to think very hard before staying with this brand again anywhere ever.

Room Tip: Book another hotel
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review, I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations and that you did not enjoy your stay.
Some time has passed since your stay at the hotel and things have moved forward since. We had only recently joined the Mercure brand at the time of your stay and as such, things were all very new to us.
I really must apologise for what must have been a very irritating series of events and poor houskeeping standards which is completely unacceptable.
I do hope that you will return to Mercure Glasgow city in the future, I am confident that you will receive our usual standard of customer care and knowledge.
If you wish to contact me with the details of your stay, I will be happy to have your Le Club card points credited to your account.

Kind regards
Monica Docherty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
arkensaw
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed at the mercure for two nights last month while on my first visit to scotland from the states, had a bit of a problem finding the car park but one call to the hotel solved that as the operator talked me through the labryinth of one way streets to the car park (which is in need of a bit of repair)

Once i arrived the young man att he desk was polite and so, so helpful ( a theme of most of the staff) sent me to my room up on the 6th floor. The room was clean and tidy if a little compact, this was offset by the price i suppose though. not having wifi in the room was a bit of a letdown but there is free wifi down in the lobby area where i also had a snack and a few beers from the bar served by Carol who couldnt do enough to help me.

The hotel is a good base for exploring the city and for doing some shopping at the boutiques nearby. Again the young man at reception (who didnt seem to go home) was very helpful showing how to get to places

I will be returning on my next trip to scotland!

Room Tip: try and get a room higher up!
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review, I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the staff to be helpful and friendly.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Mercure Glasgow City in the future
Scottish Borders
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

Stayed in late February.
Found the hotel very central for theatre, shopping, eating and sightseeing. Staff were helpful and very willing to find out information they did not know to enhance our visit.
As the hotel was not busy breakfast was freshly cooked to order and I have not eaten better anywhere.
As we were travelling on to Ayrshire we were very grateful for the carpark.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and kind comments in particular regarding breakfast.
I do hope we have the opportunity to look after you again in the future.
Regards
Rhodes
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

The hotel is situated in the heart of Glasgow, a few steps away from Merchant square & merchant city and Buchanan st. (shopping). Close the Strathclyde Uni, St Enoch, Argyle st etc etc.

However, I found the rooms very small and the bathroom was also very tight with no space for my belongings. There's a safe in the room which is good (although it was locked when i entered so i didn't use it - couldn't be bothered calling someone to unlock it) but there is no wifi in the rooms!! The free wifi in the lobby is quite unreliable.

You won't be allowed to bring any friend in aften 11pm. Door shuts and you need to press a button and the receptionist needs to see your key in order to let you in. This is understandable as there are a lot of bars in walking distance and the stairs to the mercure are prob the only place in the area that looks clean enough for drunk people to sit and enjoy their fish and chips, "sausage supper",
"fried mars bar" or whatever else. However - the guy the night porter is fairly stict meaning if you're staying in the hotel and have a friend who needs to use the lobby toilet - forget it. Some of us are grown ups though - don't like to be treated as if we're all on a school trip!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review.
The hotel location is ideal for exploring the city centre, I am pleased you found this to be useful.
Security and safety of our guests is paramount and given our location, I am sure you understand the need we have to operate a very strict policy on non residents within the hotel.
I do hope that you will choose to stay at the Mercure Glasgow City again in the future.
Many thanks
GLASGOW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Used the Hotel for the first time for business trip. Reception staff were very pleasant and efficient and dealt with checking-in and my enquiries well. Very early breakfast one morning was just as I had ordered and served politely by night porters. Cooked breakfast next day was appetising and unhurried; plenty of variety and hot food was hot. Had a late meal one evening and nothing was any bother as staff met all my choices. Staff attitudes throughout were most acceptable as they were friendly, considerate and professional. Bedroom was spacious and clean and furnishings were to a good standard. Bathroom was very clean and well-equipped. A great location and staff knew their geography and were well versed in public transport provision. Good value and to be recommended. Bob

Room Tip: If you need a quiet room staff will do thier best to meet that.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. I have passed your kind comments onto the team and hope to welcome you back soon. 5 out of 5 - really doesnt get better than that. Thanks again.
Guildford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

Chose this as a central hotel near Queen St station for a business trip. Very handy for what I needed. Close to the shops, next to Agent Provacateur, Boss not far from Debenhams near the wheel in the square.

Friendly check in for 2nd floor room. Asked for a quiet room so at the back facing an external courtyard, so not a great view but there was no noise from the main road at the front. Room not big, small desk, but a kettle for tea, coffee. Wired WiFi in the room but wireless in the reception/lounge/bar area.

TV with movies if you want them, but seemed quite expensive. Safe but not too much storage room. Bathroom OK, shower over bath, shower gel & shampoo, water very hot.

Bed was a bit of a disappointment, quite hard rather than firm. Room a little gloomy and seen better days but nothing that caused a problem

Ate one night, burger quite nice. Prawn cocktail a little oddly served in a jar with a separate sauce on a slate. Looked better than it tasted, would have preferred a plate to eat it off.

Common areas bright and nice, better than the rooms. Reasonable cost.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. All customer comments are extremely important to us to ensure we continue to strive to improve all aspects of the hotel. I do hope we have the opportunity of looking after you in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2012

Living in Glasgow my partner and booked this hotel for convenience, attending a friend’s birthday in the city centre. After reading some reviews online I wasn’t very optimistic however I was pleasantly surprised. The hotels best feature is of course its location. The rooms themselves are neat in size however nothing less than I would expect from a centre hotel. They were clean, comfortable and of 3 star standards, a lot of reviews suggest otherwise but at the £55.00 per night we received good value for money. On arrival the hotel was fully booked and there was a queue at reception however Christopher on check in dealt with this swiftly without compromising on good customer service, he was friendly and informative.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2012
Many thanks for your great review - 4/5 and in particular your kind words regarding Christopher on the front desk. I do hope we have the pleasure of looking after you again soon.

Been to Mercure Glasgow City Hotel? Share your experiences!