“Do not stay here.” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #68 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow
“Do not stay here.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

I can't beleive how misleading the hotel's official photographs are. My room was so dirty. The window was black, there was so much dust in my room it looked like it hadn't been cleaned for a long time. Dirty marks on my glass. A chipped basin. Dirty toilet seat. Really grotty. So much do I had to leave early. I was also met horribly by reception. Granted there was a que yet I was ignored untill they were done with the person Infront of me. Instead of acknowledging me and allowing me to sit down. I was then greeted by a very badly presented woman who nonchalantly told me where to go without any reall care. I stayed in my room for a few hours then checked out. I couldn't bring myself to stay there. The night porter was very rude about me leaving and no compensation was offered at all as really, that room could have been sold again after my leaving. I'm sure the manager at the Sofitel in Hua Hin would be appalled at the standard of hotel he is promoted with.

• Stayed February 2012
Monica D, General Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay and felt you had to check out from the hotel early.
Standards of cleanliness and hygiene are very high for all of our hotels and poor standards of housekeeping are just not acceptable.
Please be assured that very direct action has been taken with the housekeeping department to ensure no repeat of this incident in the future.
I am sorry for what must have been an irritating series of events, it is a shame that we did not have the opportunity to redeem ourselves at the time through management intervention.
If you wish to discuss your comments any further, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of the senior management team at the hotel directly.
Monica Docherty

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2012

Lovely clean room.
Was quite small but was well decorated and the bathroom was beautiful.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica D, Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, February 27, 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
I hope that on your next visit to Glasgow you will choose to stay at the Mercure Glasgow City. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Aberdeenshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

Good central hotel close to railway and bus stations, shops and restaurants. Friendly and helpful reception, booking in quick and informative. Room very small although clean and fresh. Bathroom also clean but in need of updating, bath marked and chipped. Noisy throughout the night. Room was at front, would ask for one at back if staying again. Great location would stay again.

Room Tip: Room at back of hotel as on busy road (bus route, pubs etc)
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and continued support. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you back to Glasgow in the future.
Blackpool, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

Booked for one night as part of an internet special offer. Excellent location. Reception staff couldn't do enough to help. All in all a rather positive experience. Main issues as follows:

Bathroom: Generally clean but in serious need of an update. Nice toiletries supplied. Shower in good working order and water pressure very good.

Bedroom: Size more than appropriate for 1-2 night stay. In room coffee facility also available. Bedding/towels clean. Room cleaned to a high standard. Secondary glazing helps to keep out street noise......net curtain not very clean!! Mattress not totally comfortable....I am assuming this is through use as I found myself falling out of bed (not drunk) on several occasions as no support to the outer aspects of the mattress.

Room Tip: Nice street view to rooms at front of hotel. However, do not pick these if you are bothered by usual...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Monica D, Manager at Mercure Glasgow City Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2012
Thank you so much for your continued support and review! We are always trying our utmost to deliver the best service to our guests, and I am glad that we have made your stay enjoyable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.
Best regards,
Solihull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2012

This hotel is so well placed for a short stay in Glasgow - near both Queen St and Central stations - the Airport bus stops only a few yards away . Although the rooms are small they are spotless and the beds are comfortable .The staff are excellent and very helpful - nothing is too
much trouble .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments, I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit to Glasgow and I look forward to welcoming you back soon
Best regards,
glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

Spent Sat night here (28 Jan) Staff were very pleasant and helpfull , room was more than adequate...dont know how or why so many neg. reviews ...hot in the room ....yes! but turn it down,it works ,as for noisy ..its the centre of Glasgow what the H... are you looking for....not the luxury of Dubai but not as noisy as New York....Breakfast was excellent .All in all great value for money (£68.00) Will be back and recommend hotel to anyone

Room Tip: excellent for a night in the town
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review, I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and I do hope that you will return to Mercure Glasgow City again soon.
Best regards
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

In my experience, booking a Mecure means securing a decent room to have a decent night's sleep. However, this Mecure is in desperate need of refurbishment. The room was tiny and struggled to actually fit the double bed in.The bed was the most uncomfortable thing I could possibly have imagined. The springs had broken on either side of the bed's edge and my partner and I found each other clinging to each other for the whole night in the middle! In addition, the bathroom was covered in large mouldy patches.
However, the reception staff were friendly and we enjoyed a fabulous dinner and a decent breakfast. Outdoor parking is available which is conveniently located behind the hotel. It was fine for one night - but unfortunately, I doubt I would go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your recent review on our hotel and that you found our staff friendly and the hotels location excellent.

I apologise for the shortcomings you experienced with the houskeeping issues, I have passed your comments on to the Head Housekeeper who will ensure the team are retrained

Due to the hotel being of older design, we do have different room types and rooms sizes. Should you decide to visit us again I would recommend you book a king bedded or suite, should you require much more space.
Kind regards
Monica Docherty

Been to Mercure Glasgow City Hotel? Share your experiences!