“Good hotel - family friendly too.” 4 of 5 stars

The Belhaven Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   15 Belhaven Terrace, Glasgow G12 OTG, Scotland   |
Ranked #26 of 91 Hotels in Glasgow
Blackburn, England, United Kingdom
“Good hotel - family friendly too.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed here as a group of two adults and two children whilst visiting family in the West End of Glasgow. The Belhaven is a very good hotel and the family room we were allocated (Room 7) was absolutely huge. The staff were friendly and obliging at all times and the breakfast was excellent. The hotel is an easy walk from Byres Road with all its shops, cafes, restaurants etc. and the city centre is easily accessible by bus from right in front of the hotel. Overall, we were very impressed and I am sure we will be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

Stayed here with my boyfriend while at a wedding in Oran Mor. The hotel is in an excellent location just a few minutes walk from Byres Road but in a quiet residential area of the west end. I would recommend any foreign tourists coming to Glasgow staying in this area as it's a lot nicer than the city centre.

The hotel itself has a certain charm. The bar/breakfast area is in the process of being done up and looks great, if the rest of the rooms are to follow I expect this will become a top boutique hotel. The hotel was clean and the beds comfortable. The breakfast was good and it's not often breakfast is now included in the price, so considering what we paid for the room, I'd say this hotel provides excellent value for money.

The staff were all very friendly, in particular the manager who provided us with a high standard of customer service and made our stay comfortable.

I would definitely stay here again if I'm at any more weddings and as someone who lives in the Glasgow area I would certainly recommend the location!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

My boyfriend & I stayed two nights in this charming hotel which is perfectly located in the heart of the West end of Glasgow! We were greeted by friendly and accommodating staff who showed us to our room. The rooms are big and warm with beautiful decor. Everything was top quality from the customer service to the breakfast. Great value for money and the perfect place to call home for a city break weekend. Definitely will be returning!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

I was in Glasgow for a couple of days for a business trip and I enjoyed the hotel and area during my time. I found the staff to be helpful and pleasant with a comfortable environment. I agree with some of the carpet being tired with some other reviewers but you can see they have just finished refurbing the lounge and are continuing to make further changes. I think this is a hotel on the rise and I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2012

Despite an amazing website and high expectations, we were sorely disappointed with the Belhaven. An attractive entrance hall quickly leads to a stained and worn stair carpet and our room for the stay (the premier room) was neat but unfortunately dirty. The bathroom contained a large bath which had not been cleaned (lots of hairs) and the teaspoons for the tea/coffee making had dried food on them. Similarly, with breakfast, the food options and cooked breakfast were good but finding clean plates and cutlery was a real challenge. It's really a shame as if the hotel were to pull its socks up then it would be an attractive option - as things stand, it's classy facade is undermined by the very poor hygiene and cleaning routines. Sorry, but one to avoid, especially as the Hilton is a few doors down the street...

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Nanaimo, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Setting:

My two teenaged daughters and I visited Europe for a couple of weeks in March 2012. We are from Western Canada. We stayed at the Belhaven for one night.

Physical:

Easily the biggest room we had on our trip. We had booked a family room suitable for four: a double bed (maybe it was a queen) and two singles. The beds were comfortable, with nice linen. There was a full bath. The "shower curtain" setup was different than that which exists in North America, in that it was a series of folding doors that extended only partway along the bathtub. Not a surprise to me but it did cause a somewhat wrinkled brow with a member of the younger set. The bathroom was big and clean.

Free wireless access was available in our room. The rate included a breakfast which unfortunately we were unable to take advantage of due to an early flight. I did have a quick look at the offerings and they included cereals, yogurts, pastries, breads of various types, and the requisite morning beverages. I don't know if any items such as eggs, sausages etc were available.

Location:

The B & B is located in a long row of what look to be stone townhouses. The taxi driver had a bit of a challenge in finding the place as the only external evidence of its existence is a bronze plaque at the front door; you won't be able to look down this long row of houses and see a sign hanging out. It was within a 15-20 minute walk to the University of Glasgow, part of that journey being down a fairly major Glaswegian street which made for some nice window shopping. My youngest daughter enjoyed a visit to the Botanic Gardens, within a few minutes walk of the B & B.

Getting There:

The hotel's website says that it is 8 km from Glasgow International Airport. That is only accurate (and at that a slight understatement) when considering straight line distance. The actual driving distance is actually slightly over 16 km. As a result, the taxi ride was more expensive than I thought it might be. In my case, that was £25. When it came time to check out, the hotel staff kindly offered to call a "private taxi". Sure enough, we were picked up promptly at the requested time in a new car and taken to the airport for £15, including tip. Not an inconsequential difference. For your reference, the operator we used was "Westend Radio Cars", and they also do airport pickups.

Comments:

Good solid accomodation. The only quibble was the cost of getting to the hotel, due to its being farther away than expected. Other than that, we'd stay there again. Beautiful old building that I wish we'd had more time to enjoy.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012 via mobile

I was very impressed with the service offered at the Belhaven. I stayed there for 4 weeks and so was given a discount. I spent my first week in the single room with an ensuite and the remaining time in the budget single, which I actually found much better than the single room.

This hotel is conveniently located on the quieter side of Great Western Road, which means less drunks and rowdy crowds at night. Yet it is still very near to Byres Road, making shopping and eating a stone's throw away. It is easily accessible by buses 20 and 66 from Glasgow central, and hillhead subway station is about a 10 minute walk away (although be warned, the Sunday operating hours are erratic). But I digress.

Rooms were always kept clean and beds were comfortable. The toilet in the ensuite was rather small but still clean. The toilet for the budget single, however, was impressively huge and even had a bathtub.

Wifi varies from room to room. I found wifi in the single room (room 2) to be pathetically slow and when my friends stayed in one of the rooms on level 2 it was non-existent. However wifi in room 1 was very strong. The lobby was also ok.

Breakfast was a good selection and staff were always polite and fair when taking orders, though admittedly 4 weeks of eating the same thing was tiring.

There are 4 people manning the reception at different times, some of them friendlier than others. The Indian guy definitely provided the best and most polite service.

Overall I definitely enjoyed my stay at the belhaven but for a few gripes: firstly, some of the things are a bit old or need a bit of getting around. More specifically, the toilet seat in room 1 was loose. Some plug points in room 1 were not working or malaligned, but there were definitely enough to go around. Secondly, a few times my door was left open and the heater left on after room cleaning. However nothing was missing, but this could be a major issue for less well-organised travellers. Third and my main gripe: Occasionally construction workers or one of the cleaning ladies would go to the back garden to have a smoke. As room 1's entrance and window are close to the garden, the smell would waft in. I experienced this problem a few times during my stay, but it was not frequent enough for me to raise any complaints.

I would say that the Belhaven is a very welcoming, friendly and convenient place and I would not hesitate to return should I visit glasgow again.

• Stayed June 2012

Been to The Belhaven Hotel? Share your experiences!