“Good little find, perfect location for West end or City Centre...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Argyll Hotel

You added Argyll Hotel to your Saves list
Argyll Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   973 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G3 7TQ, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #32 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Good little find, perfect location for West end or City Centre...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2010

We were looking for somewhere to stay for one night, at pretty short notice and we booked this hotel on the British Airways website and we got a better deal with B.A than with Laterooms etc. The hotel is a great location for either the city centre/West End and Kelvingrove Park/Art Galleries.

The young lady at reception could not be more helpful and provided us with all the information we required.

The rooms themselves were clean and cosy, with fresh decor and we had a nice breakfast (cereals and cooked breakfasts) the following morning. The staff in the breakfast area were very efficient and made sure we had enough tea's and coffees. Good service by the staff here.

We had a room at the back of the hotel, which was ideal. No complaints and this hotel was perfect for our requirements.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
A much maligned town, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

The Argyll Hotel is well located for both the West End and the City Centre of Glasgow. The staff were friendly and helpful and the room and breakfast were both of a high standard. The rooms are a bit heavy on the tartan but this isn't really a problem as they were spacious with lovely high ceilings. We stayed on a Saturday night and found the noise on the road outside was a bit loud, so if you want a really good night's sleep best to ask for a room at the back. I can't fault the hotel though.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Worcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2010

I found myself in glasgow with nowhere to stay had rushed up as my grandfather was critical in the western hospital. Had gone with my mother and 2 my two kids 11mths and 3yrs old. A relative recommended somewhere to stay but when I got there it was awful so found myself parked outside the Argyll hotel at 5.30 pm with one screaming baby and a sleeping toddler (my mum stayed at the other place) quickly ran in and asked if they had any rooms after the last place I decided to ask about the room. lady offered to show it to me before I booked then offered to help me get the kids in. or any bags. room was great for kids they had room to play in the morning and had a lovely bath. Only thing I could fault was would be nice to have bottled water in the room and perhaps a little stool as my son is potty trained but i had to lift him on the toilet as he was to short !!! Would highly recommend for people who find them selfs needing to go there for hospital as staff really friendly breakfast lady even offered to help me get breakfast as I was on my own with two wee ones.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Lanark, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

Stayed one night after our daughter's graduation, room was very good value for money and clean, staff were helpful and buffet breakfast was excellent. Huge room with kingsize and 2 single beds! Arrived late and left after breakfast so not much time to use the facilities but would recommend it to anyone on a short break as great base for exploring the city.

newcastle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

Last minute stay at this hotel in the Gaeltachd quarter of Glasgow, The rooms were decked out in the tartan of various clans with the history of the clan explained on the bedroom wall. Room was clean with plenty of facilities. The bathroom was a bit tired but overall this hotel is good value for money. A good idea would be to market the rooms in the various clans that they depict, room 208 Macpherson Room 210 Buchanan thus would appeal to the tourist market.

Newry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Having spent a lot of time checking out hotels in this area of Glasgow, we decided on the Argyll because of value for money,location and generally good reviews as well as pleasing pictures on the website..It turned out to be less of an hotel -more of a rambling B& B from a bygone era.Our room on the 3rd floor was very small although the beds were comfortable if a bit sparsely covered.There was a hairdryer,radio ,phone TV and tea/coffee making facilities which was nice.The big downer was our bathroom which had a distinctly unpleasant odour ,sending me post haste to the nearest Yankee Candle Store to buy an anti-pong spray ,and the carpet had several stains on it..The lift also had an unidentifiable but unpleasant odour (dirty mop??).Also the bath had not been properly cleaned.
The plus side was the hearty breakfast served by pleasant staff and it was of an undeniably high standard with a wide choice.I agree with another reviewer who like myself noticed layers of dust in this area but that was not beyond our powers of endurance.
The location was perfect for access to city centre ,university area ,museums and the airport bus stops outside the door.The staff were most obliging in minding our bags after we checked out allowing us to spend time down town,
Not the worst place I have stayed in but it charges the same as other more modern city centre hotels which offer bigger and cleaner rooms.I think the Argyll would do well to update its rooms and install a chief housekeeper with more exacting standards.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ArgyllHotel, Marketing Manager at Argyll Hotel, responded to this review, November 17, 2010
I am sorry that your stay was unfavourable; had you reported this to Reception, we would have been able to give you another room. We are currently renovating the 3 & 4th floor and we apologize for the inconvenience. In the future, please inform reception of any problems so they have the opportunity to correct the problem at hand.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I have stayed here a few times on business. The rooms have ranged from OK, to very good for the price. The rooms in the hotel are a bit nicer than those in the guest house across the road (same owners). Breakfast is in the restaurant downstairs from the hotel and is the nicest breakfast I have had in any of the local hotel / B&B's in a similar price range - recommended. Staff are always friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Argyll Hotel? Share your experiences!