“It's 3 star. So, expect 3 star. Simple as that.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Argyll Hotel

You added Argyll Hotel to your Saves list
Argyll Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   973 Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow G3 7TQ, Scotland (West End)   |
Ranked #31 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Inverness, United Kingdom
“It's 3 star. So, expect 3 star. Simple as that.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

I booked a double room for 1 night to celebrate my husband's 30th. I didn't think there was much point in paying extra for a 4 star since this place had received such good reviews. But, after staying here, I wished I'd just paid the extra for something better as it was a special occasion. This hotel is fine if you're just wanting a bed for the night and are on a budget.
There are a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews (which is confusing) but don't expect anything other than 3 star because that's what it is. It's very dated and simple with no luxuries (no cloth, shampoo and bathroom a bit shabby).
Although it's not the fault of the hotel, the lane going to the car park at the back of the hotel is like a dump - it would be in their interests to see if something can be done about it if they have not already done so (I'd imagine they have) as it doesn't give a good impression at all. Breakfast was fine - like most other hotels.
The wifi connection didn't work from our room (we were on the ground floor fairly close to reception). The receptionist was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Have given the hotel 5 stars, because, while the facilities were a teeny bit dated, the hotel was spotless and for the price was excellent value for money. I paid £35 per night for a single room and was upgraded because there was a double room available, which was a nice start the trip. The staff couldn't have been friendler or more helpful and you couldn't get a better location in Glasgow.

I'll be back quite frequently for work in the next few years and will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
denny
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2013 via mobile

what a lovely hotel staff very helpful room was fantastic loved our 4 poster bed went with friends for a Glasgow day out this hotel was well situated for all the things we wanted and pub next door had live music on the Saturday evening. Breakfast was hot and plentiful enjoyed it immensely after a night out and quite a few drinks thankyou Argyll hotel for a lovely stay :-)

• Stayed December 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, so encountered a number of different staff and they were all very friendly and helpful. They really helped to make our stay enjoyable. However the fabric of the hotel was poor. The room we were in was of an adequate size, or at least would have been if it wasn't filled with unnecessary furniture (2 bulky dining chairs??). The common areas, particularly the stairways had badly worn carpets which let the rest of the decor down. The whole hotel would probably benefit from a decorative overhaul, but then the price would have to go up!

We expected car parking to be an issue but the staff sell long term parking tickets for on street parking outside the hotel. At £4 for the whole day this is a bargain.

Sound insulation between the rooms isn't good. On the second night someone in the next room had a cough, which seriously impacted on our nights sleep!

All in all it was a more hassle free stay than we expected, but please, the decor could do with some attention.

Room Tip: We were told the rooms in the guest house part of the hotel (across the road) were better, so maybe...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

This was our second visit. Our first time was at the end of September, just myself and my wife. This time it was the three of us (myself, wife and son) for my birthday weekend. We decided to come back because it's very reasonably priced (nicely under £200 for the three of us for 2 nights, with breakfast included in this case), is in a nice area of the West End and has a lovely little pub/restaurant on the ground floor called Sutherlands.

The first time we visited, we were allocated the 'wrong' room. We had asked for the honeymoon suite with the four-poster bed (as I said above, it was just the two of us so it was a 'romantic weekend') but when we entered our room it was fairly small and there was no four-poster bed. We called reception and the lady came up and offered us another room; bigger and with a four-poster bed. The reason I bring this up is that again we had a slight issue when entering our room this time. My wife had kindly ordered some wine and chocolates to be in the room on arrival, with it being my birthday weekend. When we entered, there were indeed wine and chocolates but the wine (Rosé) was in a bucket with no ice. It had been sitting in the room for a while too so was warm. We called reception and the lady (same one as the first time we visited) brought us another bucket, this time with ice in.

This is pretty much my only issue with the hotel; on both occasions we have visited, we have had to phone reception to tend to a problem on arrival. Relatively minor problems, yes, but still. We also feel there is a slight lack of warmth from those tending the front desk while checking in and out. The process itself is simple and fast, but I prefer a friendlier and more relaxed demeanour from check-in/reception staff than what we have encountered on both our visits here. Perhaps I'm nitpicking. Another thing that is perhaps nitpicky is I feel the price of wine and chocolates (£25 in this case) in the room is a tad high. I'm fairly confident you could get the same for £10 or so if you bought them yourself. Then again; part of the charge is for staff putting them in your room, so I can't complain too much.

The rooms are always nice and clean with a traditional Scottish feel to them. There are some signs of wear and tear in some areas (like the bathroom blind in this case), but nothing to be concerned about. Beds are comfortable, bathroom is spacious and more than adequate. The windows open nice and wide which would be extremely useful on hot summer nights, I'd imagine. On both our visits, we have been at the front of the building; it can be fun to hear the activity outside. My wife claims she heard some angry obscenities being exchanged from some revellers (it's quite a busy street and there is also a pub next door) in the early hours of Sunday morning but I was in the land of nod, blissfully oblivious. Anyway; if you close your windows, you can barely hear a thing from outside.

Breakfast is delicous and the service is impeccable. There is a wide variety of choices available (full Scottish, cereal, poached and boiled eggs on request) and your tea and coffee cups and regularly filled by the excellent staff.

Sutherlands, the pub/restaurant on the ground floor (breakfast is also served in there) is fantastic but both times we have been, it has been close to empty. We find this difficult to understand because it is a lovely little pub that is very reasonably priced and serves very good drinks and food. Maybe guests opt to go elsewhere because of the unlimited choice offered by Glasgow, or maybe they are unaware of the little gem that is under their noses. Either way, I hope more people get themselves in there.

This was another pleasant stay for us, and I'm sure we'll be back for the third time in the not-too-distant future. What prevented me giving it 5 out of 5 is the issues we have had on both visits on arrival and in comparison to a lot of other hotels we have stayed at, perhaps a slight lack of warmth and friendliness on reception. Other than that, I highly recommend it. I don't think you could find much better for the price.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front have a nice view of Sauciehall Street. It's quite busy though, so close your...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Good Clean Hotel. Reception welcoming Room Clean, Comfy Bed, Good Wifi.
There was a small leak in the Bathroom which could not off been helped.

I have stayed Regularly and would have to say that its miles ahead off the Devoncove and Smiths Hotel on the same Block on Suachiehall Street.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Widnes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

Decent enough place and an absolute bargain for the price. Room was a decent size, four poster bed (thin mattress and not too comfy), free wi-fi and a decent breakfast. What's not to like? Major disappointment was no haggis with the breakfast, the only hotel I've ever stayed in in Scotland that doesn't do haggis lol.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Argyll Hotel? Share your experiences!