“Very Comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
London, United Kingdom
“Very Comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed in room 426 for two nights over the bank holiday weekend. Check-in was a fast and friendly. The room and bathroom were clean and well presented. The king size bed initially seemed firm but was actually very comfortable. Free Wi-Fi internet access is available at request from the front desk where they print you a receipt with a username and password for 24 hours. The shower in the bathroom was really powerful. The room had a flat screen television but we didn't use it. The buffet breakfast, which is served up to 11am, was excellent. Sausages, bacon, hash browns, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, toast, croissants, pain o'chocolate, fruit salad, cereals, fruit juice, yoghurt, etc.

My girlfriend commented that the mirrors on the dressing table weren't very well positioned as they were aligned with the drawers on either end. The only other negative was the refuse collection which, with the window open, was annoyingly load at 6:30 am on a Sunday morning. We appreciate that's somewhat out of the hotel's control but felt it worth mentioning for the sake of someone who desires a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Might be worth asking for a room at the front of the hotel to avoid the noisy refuse collection at t...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Stayed here recently and found the Hotel to be okay and comfortable for my needs, travelling on business. I ate in the restaurant one night and the young girl who served me was exceptional, think her name was Rebecca. Very courteous, attentive and always smiling, wish other waitressess were like her. Room was comfy as was the bed will come back as long as Rebecca serves me!!! :)

Colora
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My company booked this hotel because our usual hotel was sold out. I arrrived at about 7am. My reservation showed that I would be arriving at about 650am. However, the rooms are not made available until after 2pm and the hotel front desk staff acknowledged that they knew I was arriving early but the person who booked this should have been told check in time was 2pm. I spoke to someone from my company but could not confirm if they were told this. So with no transportation and no where to shower and change into something else. I made my way to the restaurant for some breakfast. There were no eggs, beans, tomatoes, or oat cereal, when I arrived, only one kind of toast, and greesy limp pancakes. After a bit of a wait the eggs and beans arrived then came the tomatoes. There were 2 coffee machines, one would not work, people were lined up to use the other one. The cappaccino was good. After breakfast, I waited in the lobby for my room. The lobby is divided into small sitting areas, dark furnishings and a cozy atmosphere. There was one plug for my computer and I made use of it. Internet was good. I had to wait 3 hours and 48 minutes for my room, I was lucky the front desk manager put a request in for a room as soon as one became available. The room was a corner unit facing the front of the hotel and a noisey road, centrally located over a bar with live, loud music and people talking until what was supposed to be 11pm but actually lasted closer to 1am. During the day the view of the pond was very peaceful. The room lacked air conditioning or a window that opened adequately to get a good breeze. One would think that if you don't provide A/C you would at least allow the windows to open enough to let some air in. There was the usual quilt on the bed, too hot, and no light blanket. So I pulled the quilt out of the duvet and slept under the duvet. The room was very small and the bathroom was laid out poorly with the sink next to the tub and the counter for your toiletries over the toilet. A bit of mold in the bath tub around the handles and in the grout. The room was otherwise clean. Hair dryer, and coffee pot in room. You have to call for an iron. Mine arrived with black stains that came off when the iron got hot. I did a test run on their towel not my white shirt. I have been down that road before and ruined my shirts in the past. The room has penty of electrical plugs which is nice and the wifi was good. There is a table, desk and 2 chairs. The tv is modern flat screen but the channels were very limited. No financial channel and only one news station. The bed was two singles pushed together, one sat higher then the other and the seam where they were joined was lumpy. The hotel is close to a gas station, mini market and the hospital, and it overlooks a small pond. I had dinner at the hotel and the service was poor. I sat a very long time between ordering the salad and its arrival, approximately 40 minutes During this time 4 people asked me if I ordered. But once the salad came no one checked to see if it was prepared properly, it I needed anything else or if I wanted a refresh on my drink. Neither did they drop the check off, I finally gave up and went to the cashier and had them ring me up. The salad was a different take on the classic cesar, it had a sweet citrus flavor to it and had bacon strips in it. I was unable to get ice tea and settled for hot tea. Someone please show restaurants from Glasgow to Bejing how to make fresh ice tea. Overall it is not a bad place, but I am glad I don't have to stay for a long visit. The room price seemed a bit high, but the city was sold out due to special events so it was probably reasonable for the time.

Room Tip: Th corner room facing the busy street has a nice view of the pond but be prepared for the noise in t...
Fife
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

The rooms in this hotel are excellent and the beds very comfortable. There is free WIFI which is a bonus as well.
But avoid eating in the hotel, I stayed there for 4 nights and every night my meal was virtually inedible. Night 1 fish - totally overcooked and was like rubber and lots of bones, Night 2 steak sandwich - meat incinerated and very gristly. Night 3 Burger - again cooked within an inch of its life, so dry! and Night 4 - Club Sandwich which again every piece of meat was totally overcooked and chewy. The chips with each meal were so undercooked they were limp and lifeless.
A real shame as the hotel is very nice, as I found at checkout from another guest there is an Italian restaurant right across the road from the hotel - try there!

Oxford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2013

I have used this hotel several times over the years and when Portland took it over and face lifted it it was a great improvement , making a hotel that looks onto the hospital one side and a BP petrol station the other attractive is tough!
As my business is in the cancer centre is a perfect location business wise and its a short cab ride to good eateries in the evening, so it make sense to use it.
However this stay was £110 first night and £125 the second WITHOUT BREAKFAST, come on Portland this is an average business type hotel in an unattractive location . The breakfast is an extra £10 and not great either, for £135 a night I want a decent freshly cooked breakfast or a very good continental selection. The coffee is from a vending machine and the juice all from concentrate. I had a bowl of mixed orange and grapefruit, well, a bowl of skin and pips actually.
The sausages are those horrible pink meat free mass produced things and the bacon is all sweated together and completely tasteless. Not the hotels fault but the people in the opposite room were door slamming champions and must have gone in and out 20 times in a hour.
Whilst its a inconvenience , next time I will stay at the nearby Hilton, is cheaper and a far better breakfast.

Room Tip: Get he highest floor you can as there are often functions on .
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

We needed to visit a relative who was in hospital and this hotel was very close by.

Although it wouldn't have been my first choice if we were having a leisure break, it served its purpose well. It was clean and very comfortable and the staff were excellent. Value for money wise it was amazing. The bar and restaurant were good and overall I was very happy.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Derby, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

We arrived at the Pond Hotel after the hotel that we were staying in suffered a power cut. We should have just gone straight to the Pond Hotel as it was far better.

Great staff who were friendly, knowledgeable and went the extra mile. They made our stay very enjoyable and are a credit to the hotel.

Very good hotel and an excellent nights sleep was followed by a good breakfast. Well done!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Been to Glasgow Pond Hotel? Share your experiences!