“Keep on foraging!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cail Bruich

Cail Bruich
725 Great Western Road, Glasgow G12 8QX, Scotland (West End)
0141 334 6265
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #4 of 1,722 restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: European, French, Scottish, British
Good for: Romance, Large groups, Doing business, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Entertaining clients, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: West End
Description: 2 AA Rosette 2012/13Michelin Guide Recommendation 2012/13Winner Entertainment Awards Scotland 2013 - Best RestaurantNominated Scottish Restaurant Awards - Best Use of Social MediaCail Bruich is located in the bohemian district of the city's west end, adjacent the hinterland of the Glasgow Botanical Gardens.Under the guidance of chef patron Chris Charalambous we offer a range menus adhering to our principled aim of seasonality and freshness. Our respect for Scottish food and a passion for evoking that special dining experience for our customers mark our uniqueness in our industry.
Orgeval
“Keep on foraging!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2013

You learn something new every day and our visit to Cail Bruich allowed us to discover the 'art?' of 'foraging' - an activity which the restaurant owner had organised last weekend (28th July). Some of the herbs from the foraging outing, notably sea aster and pineapple weed, graced our starter of flame grilled mackerel on pickled cucumber. This dish was excellent, the cool clean taste of the cucumber offsetting the delicious crispy seafish flavour of the perfectly cooked (and locally caught - Largs) mackerel. Two glasses of Menetou Salon were a worthy accompaniment.
Our main dishes were the slow cooked pork cheek and the loin of venison (still available by good fortune from the previous evening) washed down with the Argentinian Malbec. Pretty good so far you might think but a selection of cheeses (English Brie, Irish munster, Scottish goat's cheese and French Bleu d'Auvergne) deliciously accompanied the last of the Malbec.
For dessert I had the Kaffir lime posset, topped by fresh strawberries, and raspberries, a fine layer of crumble and a basil granité - full marks to the pastry chef.
There's always a bit of competition between Glasgow and Edinburgh when it comes to restaurants and reputations. Glasgow has no Michelin starred restaurants for example.
But to be frank, I have always eaten better in Glasgow and if Cail Bruich doesn't have at least one Michelin star then it must be a simple oversight. The food, wine and service are worth it.
Thanks to Chris and his staff, we will definitely be back.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

94% Recommend
Yorkshire Dales National Park, United Kingdom
“brilliant experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

Visited Cail Bruich on Friday evening 26th July 2013 after reading reviews, we had booked for 7.00pm and were too late for the Market Menu which finishes at 6.30pm on Friday evenings and is a fixed price of £14.95 for two courses or £17.95 for three courses which is fantastic value for money, after looking at the A la carte there was nothing that we really fancied, I had a quick word with the waitress and explained our dilemma, not a problem at all she said and brought us the Market Menu, we both ordered the duck liver pate which was the best that I have ever tasted, beautifully presented on a black slate, we then had the Gnocci with vegetables and pesto sauce, It was fantastic, my sister then ordered a dessert, chocolate cannelloni stuffed with rice pudding peach bellini and fresh peaches and I have to say it was a work of art in the way it was presented, we had a wonderful evening, the staff were outstanding, will definitely be booking again when we next visit Glasgow

Hello Maureen,

I'm glad we could accommodate you with the market menu. Did you enjoy your time in Glasgow? We'd be happy to have you back on your next visit. Thank you for leaving us such a great review too, although how would we make it 5/5 for your next visit?

Anyway, until we next see you take care.

“Lovely Restaurant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I have eaten here twice and both times the meal was lovely. The service is great, very attentive. The smoked mash potato was to die for. One of (if not the) nicest restaurants in the West End. Really reasonably priced. Friends who have been for the taster menu said it was amazing so would love to try that!

Hello Amy,

Thank you for dining with us on two separate occasions. I'm pleased to see that you enjoyed both visits! Please do come back soon and order our taster menu. You just need to book ahead for that one though.

Until next time take care!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited Cail Bruich for dinner and were not disappointed. The service was great and the food was delicious. We ate off the market menu and the quality of food for that price was excellent.
We were not disappointed! Will definitely return

• Visited May 2013
Hello AC1493

Thank you for the great review and I'm pleased you'll both be back. Let us know if we can recommend anything on your next visit.

Haste ye back!

Glasgow
“First Class All Round”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

There genuinely is nothing like great value for money, I have always loved restaurants willing to reveal their quality in budget settings, I remember many years ago having a pre theatre meal in the old Buttery which was better than most full price top of the range al a carte fairs i had ever tasted. The counterpoint to that is, there is nothing worse than a restaurant dumbing down and cheapening its offering for the budget customer. This is all of course irrelevant when reviewing my most recent experience in Cail Bruich, the fact is I was the organiser of large party booking indulging in the best the restaurant had to offer - namely their 6 course tasting menu. However the point is simple, experiencing true quality for a reasonable price is unbeatable and so it was yesterday.
I have had many tasting menu's in my time, The Connacht, Ramsays, The Kitchin to name but a few, all similary staged and all similarly sized, however the one thing that sets them apart is price.
The last tasting menu I enjoyed came in at £150 per person including wine, yesterdays glorious meal at Cail Bruich was a mere £75 per person. 3 hours of great food, wonderful wine, a relaxed atmosphere - you couldnt buy better entertainment.
I would also add, we took along my 14 year old step daughter, it was her first experience of fine dining and she loved every minute.
Highlights for me, the Gazpacho - really outstanding and perfect for the weather, furthermore it won me a bet as I predicted the very dish in a pre-lunch chat. The ubiquitous Scallop was beautifully paired with a stunning Alsacian Gewurtztraminer. Whenever I see the words Alsace on a wine selection, I know I am in for a treat and this was no exception.
A really unusual and delightful Crab dish, was sandwiched between these two along with a staple of Cail Bruich, the Steak Tartare with Wasabi and Lettuce - also delightful. The main of cheek and sirloin, won me another bet - as I had predicted both the cheek and the smoked potato accompaniment.
The absolute highlight for me was the spectacular Caramel Souffle with Salted Caramel Ice Cream - "its like a cloud" shouted my friend Mark, whom before that day had never tasted half the things on the menu.
It was a lovely lunch, friendly service and terrific value, I heartily recommend it to anyone.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Chris C, Owner at Cail Bruich, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Hello Ian,

I just want to personally thank you for coming to dine with us with your family and also that you have left us such a detailed review. Thank you.

I take it from reading this was a first visit? If so I hope to see you again soon. We regularly change the dishes on all of our tasting menus too. Something to watch out for. Overall it seems you had a great time and that's the best feedback of all for us. I'll be sure to let the staff know too.

I hope we see you return soon.