“Cold Brrrrrrr” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thistle Glasgow

You added Thistle Glasgow to your Saves list
Thistle Glasgow
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   36 Cambridge Street, Glasgow G2 3HN, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #43 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
North York Moors National Park, United Kingdom
“Cold Brrrrrrr”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Had to sit for the 3 days we were there with our coats on every time we went into the bar area or to eat as the heating was broken. The beds and the pillows were so hard and uncomfortable we might of well of slept on the floor. Have complained and was totally ignored.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Paid for an exec double for one night room only for about £73 including overnight parking for 2 adults. The exterior of the building isn't great but you can't expect much for city centre location. The views aren't good either, we could see directly into other peoples' rooms. The room was a very good size with nice amenities. The room was clean although there were a couple of stains on the carpet. Bathroom was clean with plenty of towels. I must admit I did expect a better selection of tv channels since it was not a standard double we had paid for, but then again we didn't go to watch tv. The decor of the hotel is lovely and classy, the lobby is very nice and the staff are very pleasant. Wish we could have went to the spa area but perhaps another time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

We have just returned from the Thistle Hotel in Glasgow and our experience was first class. There were 3 of us (one a wheelchair user) and we stayed in an executive twin room for two nights. My overall impression is that all the staff we came into contact with were so helpful and friendly and sincere. I would definately stay again and having the underground carpark was a bonus. If I have one negative thing to say it would be that the breakfast could have be hotter if you prefer a cooked breakfast which I dont. Apart from that I have no complaints. The hotel is very central and I would definately stay again. 10/10 nb the shower was amazing!

Room Tip: Executive Twin has two double beds and a seperate shower in addition to a bath - whereas an executiv...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Providence, RI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

I was on the C-I-E Tour of Scotland and this was our first stop after being picked up at Glasgow airport. We had been on one of those cramped overnight flights where it is hard to get enough sleep. We got their about 9 am, too early to check in, so I was happy to be able to go for a swim in the warm clean pool.
The breakfast there was 15 pounds so I got breakfast at Marks and Spencer for 3 pounds. As part of the tour, we had breakfast at the Thistle the next morning and it was the best I had in Scotland with lots of choice that included poached eggs and porridge. Later we also had dinner there. I had some great salmon and sticky toffee pudding.
The stores were only a block away and just window shopping they seemed different then US stores. After we checked in I went for a tour of the Glasgow College of Art, only 2 blocks away.
The room was fine and the service great. I do find those UK toilets to be a challenge.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

just spent 1 day at this hotel with my wife and 2 grandchildren and the service was amazing we were met by mrs McKay who showed us to our room which was beautiful the children had 2 bags in the room with chocolate and a few goodies the kids got breakfast free which was fit for a king 10 out of ten a credit to Scotland heres to the next time

Room Tip: a family room 618 superb
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Ewing S, General Manager at Thistle Glasgow, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you very much indeed for choosing our hotel for your visit to Glasgow with your wife and your two grandchildren. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the service you received and the bedroom allocated to your family. A lovely review, your very kind comments are much appreciated, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Thistle Glasgow. Very best wishes, Ewing Stewart, General Manager.
Hebrides
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Was in Glasgow on business and stayed at the Thistle.A great location just off Sauchiehall street so really handy for the shops. The staff in the hotel are really nice, could not have been more helpful.The leisure facilities are good but agree with another reviewer that the stairs to the sauna are a bit slippy. Had dinner one night and it was excellent. Breakfast every morning was well cooked and good quality. Travelling as a single person I really appreciated the door security on each floor. Would definitly stay here again.

Room Tip: I was on floor six. Nice and quiet
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

My Wife and i stopped at the Thistle Glasgow for a recent weekend cultural break in Glasgow at the end of March this year.
On arrival we found the underground car park easy to access and with sufficient spaces as they are spread over 2 basement floors and with direct access to lifts which transport you and your bags up to the lobby - perfect.
We were allocated our pre booked executive room on the 4th floor and upon initial inspection the room was certainly plenty big enough with two double beds, loads of drawer options, a business desk and chair in the corner of the room. Separate wardrobe area next to the bathroom which had a bath and shower, all very nice. At this point my wife noticed that with such a big room and a large coffee table there was a distinct lack of seats making half the room unusable and watching TV would have to be done from the sitting on the beds. Not wanting an argument I did what was needed and made a polite complaint to the staff before we unpacked. The man I spoke went away to query the situation only to return saying that all of the exec rooms were like this and that there was nothing that could be done. I accepted this final position and we went to the room with the rest of our luggage. Within 30 mins my wife, then still smarting from this lack of assistance, returned to the main desk. This time saw a young lady who said "yes leave this with me I will sort it out". We returned to the room no more than 20 mins later and there in its rightful place was a large two seater sofa. Great result I agree, but this whole situation reflected very poorly on me and for this reason I will always take a slight negative view when I reflect on our stay at the Thistle Glasgow.
Our 2 day stay at the Thistle was ultimately a very enjoyable one. Breakfast was a pretty typical standard buffet affair all put together well and very tasty indeed. there is even a chef at his post ready to make eggs in whatever fashion you should desire. Sadly our busy schedule meant we never got to try the spa and pool facilities but they looked adequate albeit rather compact and bijou.
We especially like the set of doors in front of the lifts preventing access to each of the corridors, thereby reducing the opportunity of nutters running wild in unwanted areas in the middle of the night, that is with the exception of nutters who have actually booked rooms but you can't account for everything I guess.
All in all I would recommend this Thistle Hotel which does have a great position, 20 yards from Sochihall street.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Thistle Glasgow? Share your experiences!