“Not up to standard” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 89 Hotels in Glasgow
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Not up to standard”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Having had a great experience at the Malmaison in Newcastle upon Tyne a few years ago I stayed here for a night in summer. I had booked a superior room - and quite frankly I would not have liked to see the standard - the room was small and almost unbearably hot. Admittedly, the weather was hot outside, but the window in the room could not be opened more than a crack and there was no air conditioning. Eventually I found a fan in the cupboard but you couldnt plug it in anywhere near the window to draw air in. The elevator felt like something from 30 years ago and generally - the place and the staff felt tired and disillusioned. The breakfast was good but the service was fairly poor and we had to explicitly ask to be told that having something hot for breakfast would add an additional charge of two pounds per person. Two pounds?! Why bother, it just causes irritation for very little gain to the hotel. Anyway - generally disappointing all round - my advice - stay somewhere else...

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

Stayed at the Glagow "Mal" on a business trip as it was very central for my needs. A pleasant enough welcome on arrival but no help offered with luggage. My room was typical Malmaison standard and had the lovely big bed, was spotlesly clean and all the usual essentials. Dinner in the restaurant was disappointing. The service was good and the young ladies who looked after me were attentive but the ambiance just wasn't right with loud modern music being played the whole time. There were 3 separate menus to choose from with a wide variety of dishes on offer. I had a steak which at almost £30 I expected to be accompanied by more than some green herb like stem and half tomato. All the side dishes were over £3 each therefore making your traditional steak dinner almost £40. Nice cut of meat though and cooked nicely, but it was a little on the cold side when brought to the table. Cold however is not how I would describe the room at night. Thankfully there is a little table fan which, although kept me awake with the noise it made most of the night, did help keep the room to a more bearable temp. No fan in the bathroom when showering added fuel to the already high temp in the room which meant I had a rather hot and sadly uncomfortable night in the city!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

I booked this hotel as a treat for my daughters 21st birthday. We were going for a shopping break. The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful but this is not a 4 star hotel. I informed the hotel that we required gluten free options and was told this wasn't a problem. There were no GF biscuits on tea tray anf the mugs were dirty. I asked for 2 glasses and some ice for the room which came really promptly but when I went to use the glasses they were very dirty. The room was unbearably hot, no air con not even a complimentary bottle of water in room. There was a pathetic desk fan which didn't revolve and all that did was circulate warm air round the room. No extractor fan I bathroom which meant it got even more hot and steamy in there. A very uncomfortable night was spent. The breakfast choice for GF was awful. Yogurt and fruit yes but only one cereal was suitable, if you wanted porridge this was extra as was not included in continental !!! Although they did produce 2 pathetic slices of GF toast. I asked for the cheese and meat platter and was give 3 small pieces of different cheeses and 3 slices of parma ham (no choice). I must say that I have stayed in many 4 star hotels and this has been the most disappointing.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night in June- we where given a room on second floor which was beautiful just HOT, humid and small. No air conditioning and we couldn't open the windows in the room which left us with 1 small fan. Overall room was nice- the room could have been better but this is a cracking hotel- I have stayed in a number of malmaison hotels- whilst this is not my favour still lives up to the image for the brand

• Stayed June 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I very much enjoyed malmaison. It has a beautiful bar with excellent bar snacks and wines. For dinner, we had two starters and mains. My prawn curry was delicious, full of flavor, very authentic and my wife's lobster looked stunning.

I look forward to visiting again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have a theory that if you book with anyone other than the hotel they give you a grotty room.
WE were in room 250 ( Avoid it in the summer) its first floor at the front. bathroom was fine and the bed was comfortable. the room was very hot and the windows opened about 3 inches.The traffic was to noisy to sleep with windows open. The hotel could do with refurbishment and why they didn't install air conditioning from day 1 I'll never know ( yes even in Glasgow ). WiFi was free and fast. Service good,staff friendly and the breakfast was good

Room Tip: avoid 250 and 251
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights midweek. The reception staff were friendly and the booking in procedure was good. We were then told where the lift was and although we had a couple of cases there was no offer to carry them or an offer to show us to the room.
The room itself was fairly spacious but the decor was dark as it was through the entire hotel. Chocolate brown seems to be the favourite colour.
The room did not have a safe so risked leaving our passports in the room. I did not enquire with reception if they provided the facility but safes in rooms are really useful.
Nice touch was the fluffy dressing gowns provided.
The control panel in the lift was a bit dodgy. When you pressed a button the panel moved and was in need of attention.
Ate in the evening in The Brasserie. Nice but too expensive. There was no wine under £20 Three course meal for two with one bottle of wine came to over £130. Now bearing in mind you are in the city and can eat out in much grander surroundings at a fine restaurant for the same money if not less then it is not a good deal.
Stayed in better for less. Would not recommend it. It just does not have that special feel about it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Malmaison Hotel? Share your experiences!