“Sumptuous!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Belfast
“Sumptuous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We were there for a wedding, but took rooms for 2 extra nights. We had to change rooms three times, because they always put you above the function room on the date of the wedding, but they moved our stuff for us and it gave us a chance to sample several different types of room. All were sumptuously furnished...the last word in comfort and provision. The TVs had BOSE sound systems attached (pity the neighbours!). There was also a high-end Bowers & Wilkins iPod player. Each room also had an espresso coffee machine in addition to the usual kettle and tea bags and there was free milk in the fridge/mini bar. Free crisps and nuts but no biscuits.
Breakfast menu very comprehensive and well cooked. The waiting and housekeeping staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Reception staff were cooly efficient but didn't respond too well to the young children in our party. I wouldn't say the hotel is child friendly, but given the general age profile of guests I would guess this is not an issue for most of them.
Drinks from the bar are expensive. The function room just about housed our 80 guests, but we would have liked a microphone for the speeches as there are two rooms adjoining and the words didn't carry into the second room.
The wedding meal was very nice and efficiently served and every other aspect of the event expertly managed. Just get a mic.
This hotel is probably the most lavish we will ever stay in. Almost everything here is superlative. A really sumptuous experience. Recommended.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

764 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
Worcester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I stayed at the HdV for a couple of nights earlier this month - my third visit in a year - and each time I LOVE the hotel and the rooms, and the eccentric layout of the buildings themselves, but the staff just don't seem to understand the importance of service. On first arrival at check-in on my last visit, the 2 reception staff ignored us while they chatted to each other about a caller on one of their phones; fortunately a different staff member came to show us to the lounge, while we waited 15 minutes in order to check-in. (The chap who carries the luggage etc., is always attentive and helpful, which was good) The breakfast room staff next morning were again more concerned with chatting to each other, than the needs of the (notably very few) guests awaiting breakfast. We had to remind our waitress about our order, and disappointingly for a five star hotel, there was a 'portion control' approach in operation! On my final morning I checked out and while the Reception staff wished me a good day ahead, neither of them asked if I had enjoyed my stay, or had a good visit overall OR (and this was definitely not five star) if I needed assistance with my luggage, or a taxi.......sorry to have to report all of this negative comment, but I feel a five star hotel should not neglect staff training, for HdV, that is overdue. I also wanted to mention staff shortcomings because in the awful event of a fire or other emergency all guests would be totally reliant on staff to understand how to exit buildings with what is recognised as a fairly complicated layout.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Attended a friends wedding and was extremely impressed with the hotel. The wedding was fantastic, the food was delicious, the atmosphere was amazing. It was the best wedding I have ever been too (other than my own!). The room was spotless, comfortable and luxurious, all rolled into one. The heated smoking area at the bottom of the garden is also a hidden gem. I would certainly return and would have no hesitation recommending this hotel. Marvellous!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Stayed in some amazing hotels but this one blew me away..sophisticated yet warm and welcoming...a difficult mix to get right but the guys here have it nailed. From the happy faces at reception to the great room service...I thoroughly recommend this place...

Room Tip: I had an attic room...it was more liike a suite but it was fantastic and had a bathroom bigger than...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Visited to attend a wedding at the venue. Rooms are individual, expensive and probably could do with a minor tart up but overall very nice. Clean and everything you need included, iron, hair dryer coffee machine etc. hotel has a bistro which serves stunning food and wine , well worth a visit ! Overall a great place to stay, near to amenities but far enough out for a peaceful stay. Fab.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Kilsyth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

WOW!!!!!! From the moment we walked through the door we were treated like royalty. My hubby and I stayed here on Friday night as part of an anniversary treat and a treat it was! We were welcomed by a lovely fellow called Gary who arranged for our bags to be taken to our room. We were then shown into a lounge and given a very fine wee dram by the fire. Lovely gesture. We were then taken to our room, which had been upgraded. The Jack Vettriano.......Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't believe my eyes. This room was huge, beautifully decorated and had a roll top bath in front of a fire!! Gary was busy showing us round then took us DOWNSTAIRS and along short hallway to a magnificent bathroom, double monsoon shower , jack n Jill sinks and a chaise.....biggest bathroom ever!!! We had a fantastic stay in this beautiful,majestic hotel. The breakfast was fab, nothing was a bother to the very attentive staff. We will certainly be back to One Devonshire Gardens.FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: If you want a spacious,more modern room. The Jack Vettriano is for you.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

We chose ODG to have our wedding. It provides opulent surroundings and excellent service from the team involved. From the tasting set up for us earlier in the year through to the actual day itself, which was well run, staff so efficient that you hardly noticed things happening. They made us feel very special and guided us through our day seamlessly.

When getting married here you occupy Townhouse 5 and can get 12 rooms in the package. All rooms are unique and perfectly appointed.

The chef here is amazing and there is every chance we will go back to stay in the future.

I cannot think of a better hotel in Glasgow OR a better venue for a Glasgow wedding.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens? Share your experiences!