“Not quite perfect...” 4 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Devonshire Gardens, Glasgow G12 0UX, Scotland   |
Ranked #6 of 88 hotels in Glasgow
“Not quite perfect...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here recently for a friend's wedding. The hotel is very impressive though if we hadn't been going to a wedding with a piper I'm not sure we'd have known which of the many entrances to go in!

The wedding itself was beautiful and the rooms set aside for it were perfectly sized. The bar prices were also fairly reasonable which surprised us. The wedding food was nice and I don't know what we would have been charged if it had been a meal in the restaurant so I can't really comment on value for money.

Our room itself was fairly small but there were double doors that opened to reveal the bath and bathroom which was lovely. The only slight niggles would be that there was an iPod docking station but the nearest plug was on the opposite wall so a long extension lead was provided. A little odd. Also, the tv was crammed in a corner between the wardrobe and coffee machine. Our room was to the back so we had no noise during the night which might not be the case if it had been at the front as Great Western Road can be busy.

Breakfast was nice with continental and cooked options though you do only get one sausage and one rasher of bacon and the eggs are small. At £19 a head, you could have done with more. The staff also forgot to bring us any toast and the tea was served in silver teapots which meant you had to use a napkin to pour it or risk burning yourself!

Parking can be tricky and it's not easy to identify how you get into the hotel but check in and check out was straightforward, though they do add £50 to your bill when you check in for "extras."

All in all, at £175 a night which included breakfast it was fairly good value, though I wouldn't stay again unless it was a very special occasion.

• Stayed December 2012

725 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in June this year, and I’ve been meaning to do this for ages. We stayed one night for a special occasion and it was fabulous. The staff are incredibly professional and attentive. I arrived separately several hours earlier than check-in and they were more than happy to accommodate me by getting the room ready early and a complementary coffee while I waited for housekeeping. The room itself was spacious, a massive really comfortable bed, and lovely bathroom. Everything was clean and beautifully presented. If I was being overly-critical I’d perhaps say the room was a tad over furnished, but it didn’t affect our stay. Parking can be a little problematic as well coming off Hyndland Street, but it's managable.

Highly recommend this hotel to anyone in need of a comfort break away from the stresses of real life…

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast , Northern Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at ''One Devonshire Gardens'' once again.
Now part of the ''Hotel du Vin'' group, I am glad to report the standards of service and relaxing ambience have been really well maintained. This is achieved in part by the motivated and professional staff. The rooms are charming.The evening dinning option was well worth the price. Food is of a very high standard.
Unfortunately moving on to the Edinburgh branch of ''Hotel du Vin'' for the next couple of days was somewhat of a let down. ''One Devonshire Gardens'' in Glasgow is the essence of a 5 star boutique hotel.
However at the same price level Ediinburgh HdV ( in our view) achieves 3 star status.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

My wife and I recently spent 6 nights in his Hotel and were very Disappointed with he low lighting against Black wallpaper! We had large deluxe room which was nicely Finished but again very Dark and depressing! The food was well presented but flattered to deceive, in the main the staff were very pleasant. Italy no pleasure in giving a negative review (borne out by my previous reviews), however this Hotel is way below the standards of other Devere Hotels.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We have dined here on a couple of occasions and like it a lot, so we were eager to try their brunch menu. At £19.50 per person, we were expecting to be spoiled. We certainly were.

Curried Parsnip Soup was the Soup du Jour – creamy and not too overpowering with the curry flavour. Could have done with being hotter for me, but I did like the frothy consistency.

You then go onto their French Market Table. As you can see it is set up with all sorts of delights. Anti pasti, breads, Serrano ham to be carved, salami, salmon, smoked mackeral pate, oysters, dressed crab, salads….

A very proud and helpful Chef, talked me through each of the items and suggested what would go well.

Bistro Burger – with bacon, Gruyere and fries. Huge portion, moist meat, crisp fries

Roast Aberdeen Beef Rib with vegetables and yorkie – only disappointment here was the huge amount of air in the Yorkie and not enough thick batter to soak up the delicious red wine gravy. Vegetables were crispy but cooked, beef – mouthwatering.

and still more!

Creme Brulee – what can you do to improve on a classic? Served with melt in the mouth shortbreads.

Bistro du Vin Coupe – Vanilla, Pistachio Ice creams with nougat and chocolate sauce. All was quiet during this one. Chewy, crunchy but also melting cream. A great mix

We finished with two espressos served with some lovely puff candy.

Again, very impressed with Hotel du Vin. Attentive and friendly staff, excellent food, and a lovely leisurely brunch. Would be one to pencil into the diary again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We used to live in Glasgow so we know the area well and we always used to pass One Devonshire Gardens and wish we could eat/stay their. We stayed on an autumn deal which included dinner, bed and breakfast.

The hotel is immaculate and composed of 4 houses together their is ample parking (rare in Glasgow) you are greater at the door your bags collected and instead of crowding around reception you are invited to sit in comfy chairs and the staff come to you to check in.

The rooms are amazing with large roll top baths and monsoon showers. Dinner is first class per set option is good value but the A la Cart is a whole new level. Wine is expensive and so is the A la Cart but this is what you expect.

Once dinner is over you can sit in the bar and enjoy over 450 whiskeys. Breakfast was second to none with a huge choice of cooked options freshly prepared ranging from the full Scottish to pancakes.

We are already planning when to come back I doubt we would stay anywhere else.

The downside is price. You will be paying more but it is worth it. Also don't feel the need to eat in the hotel Glasgow has some of the best restaurants and I would suggest looking on 5pm.com for good deals in the west end.

Speaking of the west end Byres road is 15-20min walk from there the tube will take you into the city centre. Or there is a excellent bus service.

Well done One Devonshire Gardens we will return

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

My partner and I stayed here at the weekend, and had the "Mac Forbes" room. Overall, the experience was very good. The room was well appointed - I particularly liked the Nespresso coffee machine; I have one at home so that was a very welcome touch. The bathroom was splendid - giant tub, and powerful deluge shower.

A couple of wee niggles that brought the expression "faded grandeur" to mind, though. For the price paid, I'd expect the decor to be fresh throughout. Small signs of wear and tear are to be expected - there's a lot of traffic, after all - but this room was showing signs that it hadn't been decorated for a while, with chips in the paintwork and lumps out of the wallpaper. The TV wasn't state of the art, either, and with only around a dozen channels to choose from, I ended up being forced to watch the X-Factor! One puzzling aspect was that it broadcast local English BBC news round-ups, despite the hotel being very definitely in Scotland?

Breakfast was a major let-down. I went for the full cooked option, which comprised one less than freshly fried egg, one pallid sausage, one rasher of bacon, one potato scone, half a tomato, half a dozen mushrooms and miniature black pudding and fruit puddings. In terms of portion size it was fine, but I expected an awful lot better from a hotel that aspires to the standards of Hotel du Vin.

It's a good hotel. But it's not an OUTSTANDING hotel and for the property it occupies, the rates charged and the legacy reputation it enjoys from the days prior to becoming part of the Hotel du Vin chain, it should be.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel du Vin at One Devonshire Gardens? Share your experiences!