“Lovely stay -December 2013” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Gordon Street, Glasgow G1 3SF, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #27 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
East Kilbride
“Lovely stay -December 2013”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

My husband and I stayed overnight on Sunday 8 December. We booked through the hotel website directly and got the Sunday deal with dinner, bed and breakfast.

We stayed in a double deluxe room and the first room we were allocated had a separate sitting area. We asked to be moved to another room as the bedroom felt a bit cramped and there was no TV in the bedroom (which is a luxury I enjoy in hotels as I don't have a TV in my bedroom at home). The second room was much better, very spacious and lovely bathroom with huge bath. A couple of minor things, the big lamp in the room did not work and the plug on the dressing table was broken.

We had a couple of drinks in the champagne bar and the service and drinks were very good. The dinner in the restaurant was lovely and the service was good despite the restaurant being very busy. The breakfast was also good although it would be better if you received an individual pot of coffee or tea rather than having to ask for another cup to be poured.

We used the concierge service to keep our bags while we went shopping and the concierge was very helpful. Reception staff also friendly and helpful.

Would stay again and would recommend. Having stayed before, the upgrade to the deluxe room is worth the money as the deluxe room is much bigger and is more comfortable.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel. The team are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

If you are making any bookings in the future, please contact our Reservations Team direct on +44(0)141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

1,672 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (435)
  • Turkish first
Germany
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

I stayed at the Grand Central Hotel during the last weekend and left not that satisfied.

Where to start: I gave 1 point for the friendly staff at reception, housekeeping and at the breakfast desk. And 1 point for the spacious room and the highly attractive location of the hotel.

But there are a few cons that won't make me stay there again.

1. I passed a lot of members of staff on the corridors who do not even care to great the guests, one guy didn't even care to step to the side when I walked down the corridor on my way to breakfast.

2. As mentioned before my room had a very good size and looked fine on the first view. On a more detailed spot I noticed the very old and dated windows, the mold in the shower and the stains on the wall next to the toilet. I also found it very irritating not to find a note pad or at least a pen in the room

3. My room was actually located at the far end of the 3rd floor. When I arrived very late on Friday I was extremly tired and went to bed and did not notice the noises. I got a early wake up by the housemaids on Saturday morning, who decided have a decent chat on the stairs to the fire exit just outside my room, starting at about 7.45. So I left the room for breakfast just after 8.00 with the maids still chatting on the steps. The doors are not designed to reduce the noise from the other side at all. On Saturday night my room turned out to be right in the middle of the Christmas party 3 floors below as I could hear every word from the DJ as well as the drums and most of the songs played until the early Sunday morning hours. Why don't they put guests in those rooms who are taking part of that Christmas party anyway?

4. On Saturday I wanted to have dinner in the hotel. Unfortunately there were no dinner options available between 6 and 9.45 pm as the restaurant was fully booked and there was also no staff available to provide roomservice. But lucky as I am the local M+S in the station was still open to help.

5. Breakfast itself was fine, it was just a shame that you needed to ask again and again to get some coffee as an empty cup does not seam to make the waiter even think about to ask if you would like some.

Overall: I paid for a 4 star hotel and received nothing more that an average bed+breakfast offers as well. So I will try an alternative hotel next time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for your review on your recent stay. It was disappointing to see that you faced some challenges whilst staying with us. One of our Guest Relations Managers will be in contact personally to discuss this matter further.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2013

Planning a shopping trip to Glasgow then this hotel is in a perfect position. Unfortunately it is also the center for every: party, conference, wedding, company luncheon, and drinking venue in Glasgow, If you want a relaxing time then dont stay here. If you want: noise, expensive drinks, no seats, load guests, drunken party goers then its a great place. Rooms are large and comfortable, if a little cold, Its a very large hotel which requires lots of walking to find rooms, dining rooms etc. The service was a little lacking but probably due to the amount of guests and activities at this time of year. Could do with being a little less of a convention centre and more of a hotel. It was marred a litle by drunken party goers trying in error to get into our room at 2.00am by kicking at the door and shouting to get in.............not good.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel, we rely on feedback from our guests to continually review and improve upon our service offering and I thank you for taking the time to pass your on.

As a popular city centre hotel, bar, restaurant and event venue we are often very busy both during the week and at weekends. If you are looking for a quiet area of the hotel in which to relax please let our team know and we can show you to our Business Lounge or newly opened Champagne Corner.

If you are making any bookings in the future, please contact our Reservations Team directly on +44(0)141 240 3733 for our best available rates.

YORK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

I have now stayed at this hotel twice in the last month on single night business trips, on both occasions I have really enjoyed my stay, the rooms are large and for an old hotel this place is maintained to a very high standard. I really like the grandness and character compared to most city centre hotels and at £119 I thought great value. Breakfast was very nice choice and good quality.

On checking out I had a really friendly discussion with Susan and Lynsey on reception, these two ladies are a credit to the hotel, especially on a busy check-out desk, really jovial and set the day off nicely, like most businesses its the people that really make the difference and they certainly do in this establishment, every employee who you pass in the corridors always speak, really positive thing to me. I have already recommended this hotel to others in my team as a preferred place to stay in Glasgow City Centre and would do so to any others considering this hotel.

Location is very central, it's on Gordon Street in the same building as Central Station, only slight downside for some will be if they get a room looking into the station, for me it didn't bother me and noise didn't cause me problems at all. Location is ideal for business or leisure stays and hotel would be fine for all ages and all abilities. Thank you I will be back.

Room Tip: To be on the safe side make sure you ask for a room that DOES NOT overlook the station platforms
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for sharing your recent experience at the Grand Central Hotel. The team is delighted that you enjoyed your stay.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

A beautiful hotel situated in the heart of Glasgow City Centre. The hotel does look grand and has decor appropriate to the style of the property but sadly it failed badly in customer service basics. A very slow response to calls made from the room to room service and guest services. A situation not expected in a four star hotel. The room was cold on arrival as heating was not functioning adequately. Maybe by going back to basics customer service could be improved.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the railway station
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 9, 2013

Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had a similar experience to "DuncNewt" in a previous review ;

Why would you rent a room to the paying public when you know that directly below the room their will be a function with a terrible DJ who loves his drum and bass ?

The volume was ridiculous and we promptly complained and they offered us the same late check-out and compo breakfast ? REALLY ?

I don't agree with the inference that the hotel is past it's prime. It's only been reopened for 3 years ? However, that is the strange part, it look very obviously that the redecoration and fit out has been done on the cheap ;

Door furniture has been removed and then filled and painted by amateurs. The same amateurs then hung the paper on the bedroom walls and rubbed the joints down with a roller and the paste has flashed all the joints, which don't meet. The crazy, over the top lighting can't be switched independently, all on or all off ? None of the TV remotes worked properly.

The huge bathroom, without a bath, was Baltic and took an eternity to heat up. Why was it not heated prior to our arrival ? There was cracked and split paintwork throughout the bathroom due to external water ingress and the shower head wasn't connected properly.

Thank goodness it was only one night . Would not recommend at all.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read about your experience, a member of our Guest Relations team will be in contact directly to discuss this matter further. We rely on feedback from guests such as yourself to continually improve upon our guest service offering within the hotel, and I thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

Kind Regards

swindon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

stayed for one night in November. car park exit leads onto central station platform where one of the entrances to the hotel is located (take the yellow token and staff will validate it at the front desk. parking was £8 for 24 hours). was allowed to check in at 1.30pm and staff were quick to put the travel cot we asked for in the room and the doorman helped with the pram. very large room on second floor. didn't hear any street noise even when people were going into the station at night after the Scotland v usa game. nice room with lots of space. breakfast was very nice with attentive staff.
had a few drinks in the champagne bar which is a nice low key place. didn't have any food but saw others eating and the afternoon teas looked lush.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Thank you for your fabulous review on your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel, it was a pleasure to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

You may also be interested to know that the Grand Central is about to undergo further refurbishment, with the addition of new bedrooms and leisure space including our new Champagne Corner.

Laurie Nicol

Been to Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!