“DIDNT SLEEP AT ALL!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Central Hotel

Save Saved
You added Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Gordon Street, Glasgow G1 3SF, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #27 of 90 hotels in Glasgow
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“DIDNT SLEEP AT ALL!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed here for my birthday weekend.Hotel itself was beautiful. I was very impressed with first impressions, saff were excellent. However, when we exited the lift on the 3rd floor and noticed our room was the onloy room directly across from the lift i had doubts thaqt this could be a noisy night for us. My boyfriend reassured me and said it woud be fine so i just left it. Biggest mistake. The amount of people screaming,shouting and laughing leaving the lift at all hours of th mornning ment we got no sleep at all. Although this isnt the hotel's fault it could be anb idea that they block this room off as it is impossible to sleep. Ive never experienced it so loud inj a room before, as a hotel rceptionist myself i do not usually complain but this was another story. It wasn't untuil 6am my other half finally got to sleep. Having asked for a room away from the station to prevent tanoy noise you would think they would have given us a quiet room!!! on the other hand when i mentioned in the morning the duty manager Sandy was very helpful and offfered us some things for our next stay. I would recomend this hotel but definately not a room next to lift !!!

Room Tip: room away from elevator
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Grand Central Hotel.

I was disappointed to read about the noise issues you and your partner encountered whilst staying with us. The Front of House Team work very hard to allocate rooms appropriately, but i am sorry that you experienced two restless nights during your stay.

Over the festive period we have hired additional staff to allow for regular patrolling of all bedroom floors and endeavor to react to any noise issues reported. It is unfortunate that some of our other guests disrupted your sleep upon leaving the elevator.

I have liaised with Sandy regarding the issues you have mentioned, who has informed that he will making a special effort on your next visit.

Please accept my utmost apologies for the problems you encountered.
The hotel greatly appreciates all feedback, as it allows us to improve the service we offer.

Kindest Regards

1,671 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Turkish first
Lanarkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

The Grand Central has recently been "made over" and its still not that "Grand" however the staff are fantastic and although its right in the centre of town the rooms are wonderfully quiet and you get a great sleep.
The staff could not be any more helpful and are even prepared to make changes to the booking when the original booking was made by another agency- really fantastic

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Laurie N, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Thank you for the wonderful 5 star rating.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and the team members were able to assist you during your stay.

Please contact our reservations team, directly, to arrange your next stay with us.

aberfeldy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

my wife & i stayed here one night when going to a concert in the city, we were able to get in the room early, which meant we did not have to put our luggage in the lockers at the train station, the room was very warm, it had been a frosty spell ,the room was very nicely presented, very posh, my wife said, well, why not treat ourseves once in a while?, we did not have dinner there, but the breakfast was exellent, haggis on the breakfast menu was a first for me!, all exellently cooked. & the staff were very atentive & curtious as well. would stay here again.

Room Tip: we were a long way form the lift, ask about this if you dont want to have a long walk from lift to r...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us, and for the fantastic 5 star rating!

I am delighted, to read, that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Grand Central Hotel.

Our location is perfect for shopping, sight-seeing or indeed a night at a concert,

Our Tempus breakfast is a big hit with our guests, and both our Haggis options provide a truely Scottish experience ... which must be sampled.

When booking your next visit, contact our reservations team who will detail our special offers which include dinner in our Tempus restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my 3 night stay in August. For a single my room was surprisingly spacious and extremely well appointed. The bathroom was huge, with a window, and terrific bath. Staff was friendly, engaging and helpful, and the fresh, full breakfast set the pace. I would love to rate the hotel 5 stars but will not because of the dimly lit, rather drab corridors and lobby, and the creaky elevator that seemed to be a relic from the 50s. But if the hotel is being totally refurbished then hopefully these Issues will be addressed. I do not understand the complaints of noise, as I found it to be unexpectedly quiet considering its location at the train station, which was a big plus. But no matter what, I would be delighted to stay at Grand Central on future visits.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Grand Central Hotel.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and you found the hotel team friendly and engaging. The hotel has received awards based on our service, and thrilled you experienced this during your stay.

To reserve your next stay with us, please contact our reservations department who can detail our special offers.

East Kilbride, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

My husband an I have just enjoyed a night at the grand central an very grand it was. We used an itison voucher for a stay in the Robert Rowan Anderson Suite and included lots of lovely extras which made it a night of luxury. We purchased another voucher for dinner in the Tempus restaurant, which was lovely as always. Our fourth visit. The only small complaint was the glass of red wine included in the deal wasn't particularly nice. The hotel staff were all lovely, breakfast served in our suite was very nice. We enjoyed it so much that on our return home found another itison voucher online and booked it right away so will be returning in April and can't wait!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted to read your review based on your stay within one of our suites.

Our suites within the hotel are very popular, and I am thrilled you had the opportunity to experience an overnight stay within one.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in April, and would like to remind you to ensure you redeem your stay with your new voucher as soon as possible, as demand can be high.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

Ideally placed within the station concourse. Could have had more staff on reception. Room clean and tidy. Great breakfast. Did not spend too much time in the hotel so not much more I can add. My boss had issues with his room - cold, hating not working and no remote for the TV. He complained and eventually was offered a free drink for the shortcomings

Room Tip: Get one away from facing the station
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
champagnecentral, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Bigalengland,

Thank you very much for you review of The Grand Central Hotel.

I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay with us and do hope that we can welcome you again soon.

I was disappointed to read that your colleague experienced some maintenance issues whilst at the hotel. I do hope that the team's response recompensed them in some way for their discomfort.

Kindest Regards
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

DO NOT STAY here if you want to sleep. The noise levels are unbearable and the hotel allows discos until 1am which are so loud you cannot even hear the tv in your room let alone sleep, after the disco ends be prepared to endure people running up and down the corridors shouting and screaming. Don't bother to complain to management as they won't do anything about the noise. This is the worst hotel I have ever had the misfortune to stay at so stay here at your peril. Please read me other reviews and you will see I am not usually a complainer which will hopefully give you an insight as to how angry I am about this hotel and its clear contempt for guests wanting to sleep

• Stayed December 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Grand Central Hotel.
I was very disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay.

Over the Christmas Season the hotel has been hosting a number of parties, some of which have continued until 1.00am.

In order to make all guests as comfortbale as possible, the hotel will always try to allocate bedrooms above function rooms to those attending that function. In the event of a guest being unhappy with their room allocation, the management are more than willing to offer a room move to rectify the situation.

On busy nights, such as Christmas Parties, the hotel has an increased security presence.
They will make regular walks of the function areas and also accommodation floors.
I am deeply sorry that some of our other guests disrupted your sleep during your stay .

Your feedback is grealty vauled, as it is only through channels such as Trip Advisor that we can strive to improve the service we offer.

Been to Grand Central Hotel? Share your experiences!