“Good city centre hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Central Hotel

You added Grand Central Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Central Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   99 Gordon Street, Glasgow G1 3SF, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #29 of 92 Hotels in Glasgow
Shropshire, United Kingdom
“Good city centre hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

This is indeed a 'grand' hotel and has been tastefully modernised. It is accessible from the Central Station where there is the usual range of shops. This is a 'city' hotel, so be prepared to be awakened by other guests talking loudly in the corridors in the middle of the night! Good breakfasts, watched over by friendly and efficient staff.

Room Tip: Choose a room on the station side, rather than overlooking the street. We experienced no train noise...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Thank you for your review of our hotel.

I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and the renovation of our hotel.

Should you be in Glasgow again, please contact the hotel directly for our special offers.

Kind regards,

Laurie Nicol

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (639)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Last week I stayed for 2 nights for business. I could see the train station from my window on the 2nd floor, but I never heard a thing, the rooms are decorated well and the hotel is glamorous, the showers are great but the hot water is intermittent, my real only whinge. the breakfasts are good and although I didn't use the restaurant my colleagues did and really rated the food. When we arrived the receptionist was excellent and check in was easy. She did tell us the hotel had sightings of the haunted kind and I'm very sceptical...until now. The corridors are very very long and kinda creepy and I was woken at 1.30am by what I can only describe as something constantly banging..this went on for 90mins..it wasn't an ordinary noise and I was freaked out but it didn't stop me staying there a 2nd night..excellent hotel

• Stayed November 2012
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We chose the 'treat your partner' offer to celebrate our birthdays. We've stayed in a few hotels in Glasgow and I would definitely recommend this one for the central location for shopping. The room was lovely and as part of the package we had wine and strawberries. The room was very comfortable and a good size. As part of the package we were meant to get robes and slippers. I was looking forward to relaxing in them after a day of shopping but was disappointed they were missing from the room. Housekeeping did bring the robes later, but they were out of slippers. The breakfast was lovely although I think there is room for improvement here too. It's all self service including tea and coffee. I much prefer to have my own pot of tea or coffee on the table! The champagne bar made up for these minor flaws. It's grand without being pretentious and the cocktails are fab.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your review.

Our Treat your Partner Package is very popular among our guests, and the chocolate dipped strawberries are delicious.

I have taken down all your comments and these been forward onto the respective departmental managers for their attention.

On your next visit, please ensure you contact our reservations department who will be able to list all our current promotions available.

I hope you have a lovely Christmas.

Kindest regards,

London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

Having been to number of pretty awful hotels recently the Grand Central came as a breath of fresh air. Great rooms, good value, mainly very clean (one or two minor issues with the room) and with quite simply the best Mule Mariner I've ever had. Would thourghly recommend it to anyone

• Stayed November 2012
champagnecentral, General Manager at Grand Central Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2012
Thank you for the review.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Kind regards,

Clitheroe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

This place proves to be a great choice once again. The staff are very friendly, very helpful and their honesty is now a proven fact. Quick easy check in even at noon. Big room, big bathroom, all clean and bang up to date. Good clean towels – I hate smelly towels that haven’t been washed at a high enough temperature. Enough channels on the TV. I didn’t check out Wi-Fi. Good spread at breakfast, fruit, European and Full Scottish with haggis but the coffee was a letdown and I switched to tea. Heard nothing all night on the second floor, Thursday night. Great location. 2 car parks within 3/400 yards £15 overnight.
I shall return again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for a fantastic 5 star review!

It is great to read your room was comfortable, and you enjoyed our buffet breakfast.

Please contact our reservations department, for your next stay, who will be able to advise on all our special deals.

Seasons greetings,

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Very well located in down town Glasgow, the hotel is actually part of Central Station, so perfectly placed if you are arriving by train. However,being down town it was also quite noisey on a Friday night.
I read that the hotel has just had a major facelift. This was most apparent in the room, which has been very beautifully decorated and the bathroom was great. However, outside the room I felt I was in a different hotel, with bland corridors and restaurant. As for the outside of the building, this seemed to be in a pre-facelift state.
Of more concern is the staff who, although willing, are mostly young and inexperienced and do not give top level hotel service.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
NB, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Returning to any hotel months after a pleasant first stay can be disappointing--but not at the Grand Central Hotel. On my return visit, the hotel was hosting a large law conference, yet the service to other guests was not impaired. I had a huge, fourth floor room with two windows overlooking Hope Street. The bed was comfortable and the room's amenities were excellent. The breakfast buffet is still one of the best I have ever eaten--anywhere! If you have not booked the bed and breakfast rate, be sure to request that breakfast be added to your stay when you check in, for there is a discount if you do it this way.

The hotel boasts courteous, helpful staff (although I would recommend that the reception desk have more than two people--especially during the busy 11 am - noon check-out time). My only complaint is the shuddering bang of heavy bedroom doors. Usually I blame other guests for this, but hotel staff were equally culpable during my stay. Please install quiet-closing mechanisms or instruct staff not to let doors bang behind them.

That said, I would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Remember to pre-book breakfast.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for your review.

It is great to hear that you enjoyed your return stay, and your room was comfortable.

Our central location is not only a benefit for guests but also for our conference and events organisers and delegates.

I have forward on your feedback to the respective department managers, for their attention.

I do hope you return to us very soon, as I hear third time is a charm.

Seasons greetings