“Private Dining” 4 of 5 stars
Review of House for an Art Lover - Art Lovers Cafe

House for an Art Lover - Art Lovers Cafe
10 Dumbreck Road | Bellahouston Park, Paisley Road West, Glasgow G41 5BW, Scotland
+44 141 353 4770
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #170 of 1,974 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Designed by the famous Scottish architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh, it's one of the city's finest wedding and events venues also home to the popular Art Lovers Cafe and Art Lovers Shop.In the Art Lovers Café, we have a passion for good food and friendly service. Open daily 10am to 5pm, lunch served between 12pm and 4pm, it is the perfect location to ‘do lunch’.We have a great team of Chefs sourcing ingredients from local suppliers.
“Private Dining”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

My husband and I recently hosted held a lunch for friends and family in 'The View' for our 25th wedding anniversary. Jenn co- ordinated the event and made it all very easy for us. As well as having a room for the lunch she organised a room for young children to watch TV in and another with a number of sofas in it for other guests who wanted take time out for a chat in a quieter environment. Luckily the weather was good and we were also able to make use of the large balcony overlooking Bellahouston Park. A great venue with lovely food and very attentive staff.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“...restaurant quality in a cafe.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

Our party of four adults were having a birthday lunch and we arrived in great spirits and with birthday balloons!

Whilst it boasts being a cafe, the service and food quality makes it more of a restaurant. The choices are varied and food quality is well above average and service staff are welcoming and professional. Best to book as luchtime is very busy.

After lunch, weather permitting you can enjoy a stroll in the park or gardens. Parking is plentiful.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely place for a lunch and a walk”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

I have visited House for an art lover several times for lunch and it has always been lovely. If there are mix ups with the food order, these a always fixed without argument and very quickly. The staff are always friendly and attentive and the food is always prepared fresh and very tasty.
The shop and grounds are also worthy of a visit. It is worth booking as it is a popular place for 'ladies who lunch'.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow
“Lovely lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Lovely Birthday lunch with my husband and young child.

Child well catered for with great high chairs, crayons and paper and nice menu.

My husband and I both enjoyed 3 courses with the highlight being desert. The food more fine dining than cafe food. A busy cafe and nice surroundings. We will return.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Less Than Accurate Menu Description”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Lunched here recently with a companion. Both selected salmon terrine with oatcakes for starter. No mention of shellfish in the menu description but a white lump alerted my suspicion. When summoned, the waitress consulted the menu again, then consulted another member of staff (who consulted the menu - again!) before finally checking with the kitchen and yes, shellfish was an unlisted ingredient. While I appreciate that the addition of prawns /crab/lobster may be a pleasant upgraded luxury for some, for those with a severe shellfish allergy like myself, the results could be catastrophic. On the plus side, apologies were offered. As my companion was almost finished the starter, I declined another choice.

My choice of mains had been gnocchi with a tomato sauce - unfortunately a less than successful execution by the kitchen. My companion's salmon main was ajudged a delight though. Our first choice of sweet was finished but the chocolate mousse substitute was somewhat heavier than expected.

All in all a disappointing experience from an establishment that normally satisfies despite the noisy surroundings.

In my view an accurate menu description is essential. Had I had the least suspicion that salmon terrine involved shellfish I would not have made that selection and mixed fish terrine would have prompted me to ask for a more detailed description of ingredients. Naturally the same rules should apply for those who suffer a peanut allergy

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere