“Excellent food, but price brings it down” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Cup Tea Room - West End

Cup Tea Room - West End
324 Byres Road | West End, Glasgow G12 8UQ, Scotland (West End)
0141 357 2525
Cuisines: Dessert
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, but price brings it down”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

My girlfriend and I visited CUP for the first time not really knowing what to expect.

A reservation had been made, but there was no actual table reserved (fortunately there was one free).

We ordered the 3-tier Afternoon tea with 2 hot chocolates.

The food was lovely, but it turned out at the end that only one of the hot chocolates ordered was included in the cost as the other was a "specialty". We hadn't been told this, and were not offered the other hot chocolate.

Despite this, the overall atmosphere is pleasant.

At £40 (including tip) for two people, this is somewhere I will return to, but not too soon.

I'm giving this cafe 4/5, as giving it any less would be a dis-service to the food.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Aberdeenshire
“Gluten free stop off”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife needs to eat a gluten free meal and this was a great stop off for soap,scones and cup cakes. Lovely people too.Well done

• Visited September 2013
Bristol, United Kingdom
“A lovely cafe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We had the breakfast tea stand here a couple of weeks ago while on a weekend break in Glasgow. I had e mailed to book (as the menu said that the tea stand had to be pre-booked) and received an e mail back confirming our reservation, but when we arrived there was no record of it. It wasn’t a problem as the café was quiet so they could easily accommodate us, but in a busy period or with a larger group, it could have caused an issue.

The café is lovely although the upstairs area where we sat was a bit too hot (it was a very warm day though so that might not be usual). The food was great value and the tea menu is massive – so much to choose from we ended up going back the following morning! The service was really good and the cupcakes in the counter looked amazing. The décor is lovely and its overall a really great little café.

• Visited August 2013
Glasgow
“We were struggling to get server's attention!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I came here for tea and cakes last Friday. Afternoons are usually their busiest time, which we completely understand. We were seated at the corner of the bar (it was a long tables, split up into one 2-person table and one 4-person table.), which was a bit inconvenient to get in and out, but we were fine with it.

My boyfriend ordered an iced tea and two cupcakes, while I got a tea and soup. The server that took our orders never brought us any cutlery, but she brought the table next to us cutlery right after order was taken. The problem was after my soup arrived, there was no spoon for me to use. Normally, this wouldn't be an issue, but because we were seated in the corner, it was so hard to get any server's attention. At least I had to wait 5-6 minutes and asked the kitchen server (who brought my scone out) for a spoon. Soup was ice-cold by then.

Not only that, no one bothered to bring me a knife for my scone either. I literally had to stand up in my seat, and STILL NO ONE ASKED IF I NEEDED HELP. I would so walk out and get a knife from the counter myself, but our seats were kind of blocked in, it was nearly impossible to come out. What's worse is that the same server that took our order did a once-over, to if check all the tables were doing fine, she never acknowledged our table, when I DESPERATELY needed a knife. By the time, I finally yelled "excuse me" and got a knife, the scone was ice cold.

I was so excited to come here with my boyfriend, but my experience was so bad that I wasn't that happy afterwards. I have been here tons of times as I live locally, I've been served by better staff at Cup before. I don't understand what went wrong, as the staff WERE available, just not for our table on that day, it seemed. Also, I have been served by the owner himself at both the West End branch and city centre branch, and I was always impressed by the high standard of service at Cup. This time at Cup, though, really puts me off!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Have had better”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

Took my family for afternoon tea to celebrate my mums birthday. We were crammed in, 5 of us around a table that would struggle to hold 3 with all the cake stands etc. spent a fortune on afternoon tea for 5 of us, cakes were lovely, very small but plenty of choice. Felt cheated as they overcharged me for the child's afternoon tea and didn't include speciality coffees in the cost. Talking a latte here not anything really fancy.

• Visited April 2013