“Family friendly and great for lunch” 5 of 5 stars
Review of An Clachan Cafe

An Clachan Cafe
Kelvin grove Park | Kelvingrove, Glasgow G3 7LH, Scotland (West End)
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,274 of 1,885 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Vegetarian, Scottish, Café, Family Fare
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Family friendly and great for lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

This lovely little cafe is right beside the childrens playpark. They have lovely outside seating and pavement chalks when the weather is nice. They do very good value childrens platters with fresh soup, sandwich, juice, fruit and fairy cake, and lovely adult lunch and decent coffee. The scones and cake are also very good. The owners are lovely and quite often on the premises so I'm sure if you felt coffee was weak they would replace or doubleshot.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great place for a bite of lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Cafe situated in Kelvingrove Park. Outside seating great for a sunny day or if you've got a dog with you. Wholesome homemade food from great soups to lovely cakes and scones.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Carlisle, United Kingdom
“Weak and expensive coffee”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

Was visiting and thought a coffee would be nice while kids played in the park, not the best coffee I have tasted and expensive too , but a nice sit down while the kids had a play.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Cheapskates”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2013

I was at the park with my son on Sunday and fancied a coffee. I made the mistake of visiting An Clachan cafe. A couple in front of me ordered 2 coffees, then sat outside. The young lady behind the counter (I sincerely hope she is not the owner), started to fill the portafilter with used coffee grounds from the disposal tray. She noticed me watching her, smiled sheepishly, then emptied it and refilled it with fresh grounds. I had already paid £2.60 for my coffee. It was weak, so I threw it away. This is not the place for anyone who enjoys coffee, or an honest service for that matter.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
An_Clachan_Cafe, Owner at An Clachan Cafe, responded to this review, October 19, 2013
We are so reluctant to dignify this review with a response as it clearly hails from the realm of the ridiculous. Why would anyone who works for us do what you accuse them of? There is nothing in it for them and freshly ground coffee is dispensed with the turn of a nob rather than grubbing about in the grounds. Highly suspicious review considering we just changed coffee supplier. Charlie Mills Coffee is a superb improvement and customers are raving about it!
“A smile would make all the difference...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

I felt moved to write this review after the latest of my frequent visits to the An Clachan cafe in Kelvingrove Park. I walk my dog around the park several times a week and the cafe is conveniently located for me to make a stop at the cafe to grab a quick takeaway lunch or morning coffee on days when I'm pushed for time. To be fair the food is generally pretty good - so why is it that I consistently leave this place with a bad taste in my mouth? The first problem is An Clachans pricing. This morning I paid £5.60 for a take away bacon roll and a coffee - so not cheap. But the thing that really let's this place down is the service. In all the times I have visited I honestly don't think I can remember having seen a single member of staff crack a smile - its pretty clear that this is not a happy workplace. There's an almost visible cloud of dissatisfaction behind the counter and the general feeling from the staff is that they would rather be somewhere else. The resulting service experience could best be described as aloofness verging on contempt. What a shame.

• Visited September 2013