“Great Nasi Goreng” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rumours Kopitiam

Rumours Kopitiam
21 Bath St, Glasgow, Scotland (City Centre)
Improve this listing
Ranked #301 of 1,884 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Malaysian
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: City Centre
Prestwick, United Kingdom
“Great Nasi Goreng”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

Having spent nearly 2 years in Indonesia, this is the closest you will get to traditional Nasi Goreng. Nice place, good service and reasonable price. Well recommended.

• Indonesian first
“Best Asian Food in Glasgow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Love coming here every time I visit Gtown. Even my pals that have lived in Glasgow never knew of Rumors till I took them here. Every visit you'll be looking at other people food wanting that dish but portions are generous of you can eat it all the waiters will box your left over for you.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kinross, United Kingdom
“Great Malaysian food and drink.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We went to Rumours for lunch on a Saturday. It was a rainy day and it was nice to get out of the rain and still be able to people watch out their large picture windows. This is a café style place so space is limited, but the menu has more of a restaurant type feel to it.
The restaurant and toilets were clean and we were served fairly quickly. There was just one waiter on at the time and service would have been improved with one additional member of staff as it was fairly busy.
The menu is a nice mix of traditional asian food and some more standard asian type meals to suit the less adventurous western diners. Both meals we had were good and although the meal my wife ordered was supposed to be spicy, it had two chilli symbols by it, it was not very hot at all. So don't be put off by the chilli symbols, it's not as hot as you might think. Equally if you are looking for something hot, might pay to tell them to make it hot.
Drinks on the menu were extensive too and the Lemon tea we had was lovely and complimented the meal well.
We would go back if we were in the area again, but as we live outwith Glasgow that's unlikely.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“I would eat here every day if i could”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

I have been coming here for a while and kept getting stuck on the salt and chilli squid. Which is just brilliant. However the waitress said I should try something else so now when I go she orders for me and believe me I have never had a bad meal. The service is great the food is fantastic and I love the salt and chilli soft shelled crab. The waitress always picks me something different to try. I can recommend the Malaysian lamb curry.

• Visited March 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Not authentic and too expensive”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

On the strength of some positive reviews and because I love Malaysian food, I thought I would give Rumours Kopitiam a try. I was unimpressed.

Decor is basic and it's got a small cafe vibe. That's all well and good but if you're going to compromise on the decor, you'd better excel in the other areas but unfortunately, Rumours Kopitiam fail pretty badly.

The welcome was not particularly friendly and warm but we were quickly shown to a table. Menus are laminated, cafe style and they - to say the least - offer a large choice of dishes, which is never a good sign.

There are a few traditional Malaysian choices, which you'd expect to see such as Chicken Satay sticks, Roti Canai and Nasi Lemak but there are also many Chinese and even Japanese influenced options. I suppose you could argue in an ethnically diverse country like Malaysia, you expect other influences but I quickly got the impression this was more Chinese influenced than Malay. The staff, who were speaking in Cantonese, were also a giveaway.

After a hugely unspectacular mixed starter, which was far too salty and pretty tasteless, our mains arrived. One of the mains, fried aubergine offered a glimmer of culinary pleasure but the chill salted prawns were pretty awful.

I was quite surprised at the prices. Both the starters and the mains were pretty much up at the same prices as any other restaurant, which was surprising given the cafe style setup. Certainly not Malaysian prices!

Overall, not somewhere I'd choose to visit again. It's simply too ordinary, lacks authenticity and not good value for money. Although this place is an excellent proposition, a smaller menu, more welcoming staff and lower prices would be the only things which could tempt me back.

• Visited March 2014