“AVOID” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Italian Caffe

The Italian Caffe
92 Albion Street, Glasgow G1 1NY, Scotland (City Centre)
+44 141 552 3186
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Italian Caffe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #213 of 1,873 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Romance
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Glasgow���s first enoteca, The Italian Caff�� is situated right in the very centre of Merchant City, offering fine dining and fine wines in a sleek and contemporary atmosphere. Intended to be a bit of a home from home, The Italian Caff�� may be modern and upmarket but it���s nonetheless cosy and welcoming, a place to relax and unwind after a hard day in the office. Take your pick from comfortable deep green banquettes, window side seating or a perch at the bar and settle in for an evening of chilled indulgence courtesy of your choice from The Italian Caff�����s fifty-odd excellent and carefully chosen wines, both Italian and international. And though those fantastic wines form the backbone of the enoteca approach don���t think for a moment that food has been neglected. In fact, The Italian Caff�� is run by the team behind The Italian Kitchen, so expect more of the celebrated traditional Italian food that made that restaurant such a popular local haunt.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“AVOID”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013 via mobile

Went for lunch here and the service was poor, waited half an hour for our food. I had lamb chops but could only eat a few bites as most of it was fat and bones. Unimpressed by this meal will not return. Me and my friend had to go for something else to eat after as it left us hungry. Avoid!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Coventry, United Kingdom
“Glad I checked Trip Advisor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I looked up trip advisor before booking a meal out with friends as we wanted somewhere in Merchant City and I wanted to try somewhere I hadn't been before. I am glad I looked at the reviews, they were all good and it was worth the visit.

The idea of the Italian tapas was good. The only thing I would say is that if I hadn't read the reviews here then I probably wouldn't have understood what was going on when I got there. There is nothing on the menu to really explain the idea or to give an indication of how many plates to order. The staff didn't explain this either (I'm sure they would have if we had asked them to, but might be nice to offer the explanation on arrival, or is that a bit too Nando's..?).

Luckily I had read about it here, so explained to my friends and we ordered 7 or 8 plates between the three of us which gave us a good variety but plenty (perhaps a little too much) to eat, and there were leftovers.

Still, after being stuffed we did manage to squeeze in a dessert and we were glad we did!

All in all, the food was pretty good, the waitresses nice enough and the interior was great - I really like what they've done with the place. We were sitting in a booth which was good. The small plates idea is good, it's a bit different but the option is there to have a normal, large plate of pasta etc if you so wish.

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Great atmosphere, lively restaurant and good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Enjoyed a lovely evening in The Italian Caffe recently. There is a definite buzz about this place. The staff were helpful and the food was reasonably priced and tastey.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Faultless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

We stumbled upon this restaurant by accident and were impressed with its good Trip Advisor ratings and reviews. Our intention was to dine in a certain celebrity chefs Italian establishment nearby but couldnt get booked. Thank goodness for that!!!! Because we would never have found the Italian Caffe otherwise. We both love Italian and Tapas so we were delighted with the small plate menu. Generally 3 tapas per person is enough when dining this way but our party of 4, after discussions with the waitress opted for 10 plates which in the end was more than enough. Eating Tapas can be a bit of a hit or a miss, with some dishes hitting the spot and others falling into the "alright" category. I can honestly say that of the 10 plates to reach our table there wasnt a single one that wasnt followed by a "mmmm thats delicious" or a ""mmm, you must try this one!!!" The dishes included a mushroom one, a pork, a steak, a fishcake one, a small sausage pasta, sausage and bean stew, and a small pizza to name but a few. Every one was perfect and the accompanying wine went down well. The small plate menu is fairly extensive and theres something there to suit all taste buds. So thank you Mr. Oliver for not accomodating us because I think weve just discovered the best Italian in town!!

“Fantastic food and fabulous waiting staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We had meal her for the first time along with another couple, I had the Bruschetta to start followed by Linguine with king prawns, a spectacular dish with lots of huge king prawns, there was 4 of us we all had a few drinks 2 courses and coffees with Liquers, there was no compulsory service, however with tip we were £160 which for a 5 star establishment represented excellent value. The staff were very attentive and professional, the whole experience was a credit to Glasgow, well done and thanks, will be back very soon.

• Visited December 2012