“Best Italian in Glasgow” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Lanterna

La Lanterna
35 Hope Street, Glasgow G2 6AE, Scotland (City Centre)
0141 221 9160
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #59 of 1,885 Restaurants in Glasgow
Neighborhood: City Centre
Description: Winner of The Glasgow Restaurant Association's Best Italian Restaurant category in 2012 and The Official Scottish Entertainment Guide Awards' Best Italian category in 2013, La Lanterna has been serving customers Glasgow's finest Italian food experience for over 40 years.Situated opposite Central Station and adjacent to Radisson Blu Hotel it is the ideal location for a business event or for visitors to the city. On offer are a fine selection of handmade pastas and raviolis with wild boar or seafood. For meat lovers there are a selection of steaks including both veal and beef T-bones. A selection of daily fish specials are always available along with an extensive Italian wine list selected from the finest vineyards in Italy. A warm welcome awaits in a friendly and intimate atmosphere in the heart of Glasgow.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Best Italian in Glasgow”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

This was my first visit to this restaurant and have to say it was fantastic. The value for money was great and the staff service was impeccable.
On arrival, the staff were very friendly, taking our coats and seating us in a waiting area before taking us to our table where we were given a complimentary basket of bread along with a complimentary glass of Proseco. The food was served to a good timescale with the right amount of waiting time between the courses.
The food was absolutely outstanding, I got the Fillet of Halibut and highly recommend this dish. The service was lovely with very friendly staff who would make sure everything was okay and if we needed drinks.The atmosphere was a warm welcoming friendly atmosphere and you would think you were in an authentic restaurant in Italy and not tucked away just off of Hope Street.
I have recommended this to friends and family as the value for the food as well as the whole experience of dining within this restaurant was brilliant and I highly recommend this is somewhere to try. I will definately be returning to try more of their foods.

• Visited February 2013

• Polish first
“Evening pre theatre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

My wife and I had a pre theatre meal last night and it was superb.We didn't book in advance but took the chance we might get a table.
Christopher the owner very kindly manage to arrange that for us and considering the Restaurant was very busy .The sea bream and the veal was first class.
This is my 40 th year going to Lanterna and its deserve the award it won as the best in Glasgow.
If not Scotland and Uk.
Congratulation to Christopher & Luca and staff .
Frank & Joan
Bearsden

• Visited March 2013
“Special ingredients”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

After reading TripAdvisor's reviews of the Lanterna, thought I'd better write one myself. Must admit it's long been a favourite place for me with friends – Scottish, English, Canadian, Italian. And to include the Far East . . . a few from Edinburgh. Some of these folks are Lanterna addicts in need of a genuine Italian fix every so often, and of course we all enjoy the good food, lovingly cooked, served with quite rare natural ingredient added by Chris and his staff of waiters. What else but old-fashioned charm, friendliness, and help when you need it?
OK, the Lanterna can be not-so-quiet at times, but it's happy jollity, not raucous roaring. As for value, my last visit was with old work colleagues and we ate from the £10.95 lunch menu, NOT including wine, rather a shame for six ex-journalists. Even so, we'd an excellent £25-a-head reunion and still made it up the stairs to Hope Street in time for our taxis and trains. Thank you, Lanterna. Hope to be back soon in a cosy corner table for two addicted couples.

• Visited March 2013
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“really liked”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

Definitely one of the better Italian restaurants I've been to. Staff were friendly, surroundings OK, well it is in the basement, but the food was excellent. I'd also give it extra points for being so close to Central Station and hence very convenient.

Just remember to duck in the Gents if you are over 6 feet! Part of me thinks this should be 4.5 but I can't quite bring myself to give it 5, definitely the upper end of 4.

Visited February 2013
Glasgow
“The best Italian Food in the Centre of Glasgow.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

I have visited many 3 and 4 star eating establisments in Glasgow, but none can better the consistent flavour and quality of the food served in this quiet family owned restaurant.
The staff are most welcoming, very knowledgeable and proud of the fare on offer.
The ambience, the cosiness and the warmth of this restaurant is something newer eateries can only hope to achieve after many years of endeavour.
The wine list is not extensive but, by god, they have more than made up for this by the sheer quality of their selection.
I have hesitated to write a review of the La Lanterna in the past as, selfishly, I had no wish to spoil the ethos of this wee gem with the advent of screeching hen parties or boisterous stag nights!
On the other hand, if you are out for a gentle pre-theatre meal, a wee birthday treat for a loved one or a quiet tete-a-tete with a business colleague, this is the place for you!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant