“*****” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Charcoals

Charcoals
26a Renfield Street, Glasgow G2 1LU, Scotland (City Centre)
+44 141 221 9251
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Charcoals is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 1,838 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Liverpool
“*****”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

Me and my partner visited this restaurant for the second time because we were so impressed back in November 2012 during our last visit to Glasgow.

Again, everything was completely amazing from start to finish! The food was sublime and the meat was so fresh and lean in comparison to other curry houses.

The service was fantastic and all of the staff are so friendly, namely Ali who really went the extra mile for us, he accomodated each and every one of our needs and he wasn't even our waiter.

I honestly would go as far to say that it is the best curry house I have been to and I intend to visit every time I am in Glasgow!

“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Ali and his team provide excellent food and service.The flavours of the food are fantastic and the staff make dining in charcoals a wonderful experience.

Gourock, United Kingdom
“Excellent service and food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

We booked for a party of 16 for our annual summer night out. We usually go to another Indian restaurant but thought we would give this one a try after hearing good things from colleagues, and we are glad we did! The food was excellent, starting with poppadoms and dips, starters and then main courses, all lovely! As well as what we paid for, we even got some extra chicken wings on the table, so we definitely all left feeling full up. We stayed in the restaurant all evening and the staff could not have been better, constantly on hand to fill our glasses and making sure we were happy with everything. The vodka jelly shots at the end were also a nice touch, as was the photo that they took, printed and framed for us to take away as a memento of the evening - it makes a nice addition to our office!

We will definitely be returning again next year and recommending to others to try, we are already planning to go again soon for a team lunch!

• Visited July 2013
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Worth a try but watch out for the "freebies"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

Visited this restaurant yesterday with the other half. Passed it by but went back after reading such good reviews on trip advisor...We were in and out in under an hour!! although we had poppadoms, starters, mains and sides as well as wine.

I have to say I felt very rushed, the starters came before having tucked into the poppadoms and then plates wisked away followed moments later by our mains.

My husband really enjoyed his meal (dupiaza) and I have to say it was rather tasty. I on the other hand ordered boonah-medium, and it was quite bland, like eating lovely chicken with a sauce consisting of a tin of watery tomatoes. It had the odd kick but i'm sure this came from the spices the guy shook over it at the kitchen hatch!?

The nan was also quite tough - couldn't cut it with a knife which was a shame.

I think its obviously hit and miss with the meal choices (as it is in most places) I've definitely had much worse, but it definitely wouldn't be my go to indian.

The other thing I have to comment on is the "freebies", a poppadom cooked in the oven, half a nan filled with spices and a jelly shot...all very nice...but when the bill comes and you are charged 10% service for a table for 2 it wasn't quite so nice.

This restaurant has awards for great customer service, it was good and very efficient but I think to add a £5 tip on the end is a bit much. If you're confident in your service tips will be rewarded, they shouldn't be forced upon.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“A Chef's opinion”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2013

I have eaten in dozens of Indian restaurants up and done the UK and in my former career I worked as a chef in London cooking for members of parliament. The Charcoals is an exceptional Indian Restaurant. The food is first class with authentic flavours and meat cooked to perfection. The staff are incredibly friendly and provide an incredibly good level of service. If you are looking at a first class Indian, look no further...!!