“Excellent food and service. All and all good night” 5 of 5 stars

The Pakistani Cafe
Pollokshaws Road, Glasgow, Scotland
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Pakistani
Good for: Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
doucomehereoften
“Excellent food and service. All and all good night”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

I went to The Pakistani Cafe on Friday with a group of about 13 friends. I think it has changed hands since the last time I was there. The decor is much more up to date and a little less disorganised. I had a fantastic night. The food was top quality and there was a lot of it. My table had mixed starters - one lot of meat and one non meat / fish for the veggies in our group. For the main I had Chicken Tikka Malai which was 2 or 3 breasts of chicken prepared tikka style (no sauce). It was gorgeous though a little hotter than I expected. I asked the guys for sauce on the side and they happily prepared me some for free. I had this with rice and mixed nans. The rest of our group all tried different options from the menu and the overall consensus was the food was excellent. We even had some nans to take home as we couldnt finish it all. The restuarant is also BYOB and surprisingly they didnt charge us any corkage which is a total bargain. I think per person the cost came to around £11 a head (this is including the tip we added which was around 10% though it is up to yourself if and how much you want to tip) Service was fast and friendly. I would defo go back. Great for a large group of friends. We are already planning our next meal there. Yum.

• Visited November 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

54% Recommend
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“absolutely mouthwatering”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

ok i know by being a previous customer, jim is now gone and the place is under new management and OMG i must say this was the best place iv ever had pakistani food. so original and full of amazing spices.. have you seen the new interior desgning.. the new owner defenetly made an amazing impression on everyone now.. the way they have the chicken lamb etc hanging from the fridge is sooo amazing.. we ordered a mixed grill and the guy took out mix grill out infront of us and passed to the guy on the tandoor from the front window, went straight in the tandoor.. its good to see your food getting cooked... i would recommend 100%...

• Visited November 2011
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
sydney
“Quirky, a unique experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2011

We wandered in here late at night on our first day of a first trip to Scotland. Jim was warm and welcoming. The ambiance was quirky but fascinating. Food was delicious and as i wasnt feeling well Jim made me a delicious orange and almond lassi. We tried to return with our son to share the experience but the cafe was closed without notice. We feel we were lucky to have experienced the Pakistani Cafe when we did but will try it under the new ownership if we return to Glasgow.

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Glasgow
“food ok, place a bit grotty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2011

Myself and partner came here for a midweek bite to eat. We had previously been here once, before it relocated to the West End, and it is now back in the South side. The interior is a bit quirky, we both like the layout, it's got a relaxed feel. The owner is a very friendly guy, although a bit bizarre at times. We didn't have a problem with him at all. The place needs a clean. The tables had food debris on them, and we didn't get any napkins at all. The toilet reminds me of a student flat I shared years ago, toilet roll to dry hands etc. My other half saw the kitchen on her return from the toilet and she said it was chaotic to say the least, which isn't a good sign as were the only people in the place.

We ordered the daals (three of them) and the veggie sizzler plate, all with rice and chapatis. Two of the daals were very good, not sure about the dark one. The veggie sizzler plate was actually really good. £5 seemed a bit steep to screw the cap off the wine (i.e. corkage charge).

At the end the owner turned the volume up on the music and we could hardly hear each other speak. But as I say he seems a good guy. All in all, we will probably go back, but we'll give it a wee while to see if the reviews improve. The food is ok, but the whole place needs some finishing touches regarding cleanliness and service. Maybe two stars is a bit harsh, two and a half might be closer to the mark. The place could be a goldmine if it got its act together.

• Visited July 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“it's got it all. if you come to Glasgow. you must go!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

unusual. friendly, good music. fantastic food. child friendly. funny. helpful. buzzing atmosphere. relaxing. the kind of place that reminded how funky Glasgow used to be before it started to try too hard. taek your family, take your friends take your partner. hey just go yourself.

• Visited June 2011