“Great BB” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alba Lodge

Alba Lodge
You added Alba Lodge to your Saves list
Alba Lodge
2.0 of 5 Guest house   |   232 Renfrew Street Glasgow, Glasgow G3 6TX, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #28 of 39 Glasgow B&B and Inns
Warsaw, Poland
“Great BB”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

Great BB place to stay for a weekend. Situated near to the City Center, about 20 min walk form Glasgow Central. Breakfasts are tasty, and big enough for some time. It's located on the hill, with nice view.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014

What a great hotel!!!

Staff - so friendly, courteous and helpful. Able to check in early also which was refreshing.

The room - small and cosy but with everything you need. The view is tranquil and calm.

The food - of a surprisingly high standard.

Overall - I will be stopping again. Home away from home.

• Stayed May 2014
Inverness, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

My friend and I were looking for a cheap hotel room to stay the night as we had a gig at the Garage which was a 2 minute walk. When we arrived we were told we were upgraded from a twin room to a family room. The room was clean with lots of light and a big ensuite also. The morning after we had a cooked breakfast where the staff were very happy to help. Overall we would go back for a nights stay.

• Stayed May 2014
Stornoway, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2014

Good location within walking distance of main town. Staff were very friendly and breakfast portion sizes were excellent and he would always ask if you wanted more. An amazingly comfy memory foam mattress in the bedroom. Bad bits: room was not serviced every day or towels changed. Not much parking. But overall enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

This is a low-cost "guest house" and it is exactly what it is, I thought the staff were friendly, my room was clean and safe and it was cheap, which is what I was looking for. Cooked breakfast in the morning and my room are very basic but it had everything I wanted. I was only staying for one night and I don't spend much time in the rooms anyway.
Bed comfy, nice and quiet and only took 10mins to walk into town and to the bus station. I would recommend if your looking to save money and stay somewhere easy.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have nothing bad to say about my stay here, but nothing particularly memorable for being wonderful either.

The ensuite bathroom was one of the most recently fitted and cleanest I have seen on my travels around Glasgow recently, but the bed had seen better days - there was a person sized dent and when I moved along to try to escape it, I felt a bit like I was lying on a hill and promptly rolled back in to the dent I was trying to escape. I think the springs must have gone, but I didn't want to think about when or how that happened.

I didn't try the breakfasts, so can't comment, and the men on the desk seemed friendly enough. It was reasonable value, but I have managed to get better rooms, including breakfast, for cheaper.

One thing I would say - check there are no hoover cables on the stairs - if I hadn't been watching where I was going, I probably wouldn't have been here to write this review, as I nearly tripped on a hoover cable at the top of the stairs one morning on my way out.

I would recommend it and would be happy to go back, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My first visit to Scotland to watch a show at the Hydro in Glasgow, and I booked myself, Dad and brother into a triple room with en-suite bathroom for one night. At £55, including breakfast, this was fantastic value. Don't think of this as a hotel, think of it as a family-run guest house / B'n'B. When paying for this sort of accommodation, you know what you're going to get. As long as the service is welcoming and friendly, and as long as the place is clean and tidy, that's pretty much all you can ask for.

The Alba Lodge ticks those boxes. The triple room we stayed in was of adequate size, with TV, bed lamps and plenty of storage drawers and a wardrobe. The beds were decent for a single night's sleep. Room was well-insulated and central heating worked brilliantly. The shower we had in the morning could have been hotter though.The bathroom was very clean as well. Breakfast was included and was pretty basic, simple and bog-standard quality cooked breakfast or run-of-the-mill cereal and toast. Again, you get what you're paying for.

As far as location goes, it is at the end of a row of other, presumably similar, lodges and guest houses. Previous complaints have mentioned the poor accessibility for disabled customers. It is true that the location is at the top of a steep slope, and there was no visible ramp for wheelchair users. This didn't affect us, but is worth bearing in mind for other potential visitors. It is about 15 minutes on foot from the central train station, very close to the Art School (currently undergoing major renovation, so take care when passing that area).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Alba Lodge? Share your experiences!