“I can't get excited about this either way” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alba Lodge

Alba Lodge
You added Alba Lodge to your Saves list
Alba Lodge
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   232 Renfrew Street Glasgow, Glasgow G3 6TX, Scotland (City Centre)   |
Ranked #26 of 38 Glasgow B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“I can't get excited about this either way”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have nothing bad to say about my stay here, but nothing particularly memorable for being wonderful either.

The ensuite bathroom was one of the most recently fitted and cleanest I have seen on my travels around Glasgow recently, but the bed had seen better days - there was a person sized dent and when I moved along to try to escape it, I felt a bit like I was lying on a hill and promptly rolled back in to the dent I was trying to escape. I think the springs must have gone, but I didn't want to think about when or how that happened.

I didn't try the breakfasts, so can't comment, and the men on the desk seemed friendly enough. It was reasonable value, but I have managed to get better rooms, including breakfast, for cheaper.

One thing I would say - check there are no hoover cables on the stairs - if I hadn't been watching where I was going, I probably wouldn't have been here to write this review, as I nearly tripped on a hoover cable at the top of the stairs one morning on my way out.

I would recommend it and would be happy to go back, but it wouldn't be my first choice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2014

My first visit to Scotland to watch a show at the Hydro in Glasgow, and I booked myself, Dad and brother into a triple room with en-suite bathroom for one night. At £55, including breakfast, this was fantastic value. Don't think of this as a hotel, think of it as a family-run guest house / B'n'B. When paying for this sort of accommodation, you know what you're going to get. As long as the service is welcoming and friendly, and as long as the place is clean and tidy, that's pretty much all you can ask for.

The Alba Lodge ticks those boxes. The triple room we stayed in was of adequate size, with TV, bed lamps and plenty of storage drawers and a wardrobe. The beds were decent for a single night's sleep. Room was well-insulated and central heating worked brilliantly. The shower we had in the morning could have been hotter though.The bathroom was very clean as well. Breakfast was included and was pretty basic, simple and bog-standard quality cooked breakfast or run-of-the-mill cereal and toast. Again, you get what you're paying for.

As far as location goes, it is at the end of a row of other, presumably similar, lodges and guest houses. Previous complaints have mentioned the poor accessibility for disabled customers. It is true that the location is at the top of a steep slope, and there was no visible ramp for wheelchair users. This didn't affect us, but is worth bearing in mind for other potential visitors. It is about 15 minutes on foot from the central train station, very close to the Art School (currently undergoing major renovation, so take care when passing that area).

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Booked at short notice for a weekend break. The hotel was dark and unwelcoming. It took an age to book in at reception. Eventually got to our room which consisted of a double bed pushed up against the wall and a barely functional wardrobe. The bedding appeared to have seen better days and did not look all that clean.The bathroom was dirty so even without opening our suitcase we decided we couldn't spend another minute in there. We managed to book in another hotel ( The Ibis which was superb ). When we returned to the Alba to collect our bags and return the key we were offered a bigger room, but as far as we were concerned all that meant was a bigger disaster behind the door.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dundee, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Went to the Alba Lodge, not out of choice may i add and the service was terrible, the minute me and my friends stepped into the building we got judged and the man at reception spoke very little english. Upon our arrival we were told we could only pay in cash even tho the room had been previously booked on a card and to this day the preauthorisation is still held on the card used to book (£100 that is usually £39 a night). When calling the hotel the next day to explain that the money had been preauthorised on the card the receptionist spoke little english and refused to put me through to anybody else. Huge disappointment and i will definitely NOT be returning to this so called "accommodation"

Room Tip: Don't book here.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Lisbon, Portugal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

the hotel is small but clean and with a nice cozy feeling. we stayed for 3 nights in a room on the 2nd floor, which had a lovely window view to the garden, complementary tea station and tv. cooked english breakfast was nice. staff was very friendly. excellent price/quality relation!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Fort William, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Stayed in August 1 night, went in gave name, given key, sent upstairs, easy. Just inside the door small reception area, to the left of that you go down stairs to the breakfast lounge. Then upstairs to the rooms. I was on the top floor small single on suite, cheap pine bed, thin duvet one pillow wardrobe, t.v. tea and coffee adequate for what I needed. If I needed more I'm sure they would have given it to me. Breakfast 1 sausage,1 rasher bacon, 1 egg, 1 slice of toast and some beans and they did ask would you like more so don't be shy. Friendly, polite staff. I would use again but at a cheaper rate not £50. It is not worth that. Easy parking at Charing Cross beside the Premier Inn. £2.00 6pm till 8am at time of writing. [If you find it helpful tick the box please]. Thanks

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

A single traveller I booked here for a week in May 2013 as have stayed there before. As last time the room was satisfactory with everything clean and OK. Cooked breakfast was very ample and staff always friendly. For a budget hotel would stay again in the future.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Been to Alba Lodge? Share your experiences!