“Informally excellent” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #215 of 1,839 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: German, European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Large groups, Bar scene, Doing business, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Scotland
“Informally excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

Located next to the templeton business centre at the People's Palace, West is very informal and looks quite studenty in daylight. However, in the evenings with candles lit and the grand piano it takes on quite a different atmosphere. What is most unusual is that dogs are allowed and a guy had his massive newfoundland under the table! Although I love dogs I'm sure that there are some who would not be keen but I must say they were all very well behaved.

Offering locally brewed beers amongst others, there is a casual vibe that belies the amazing food on offer at very reasonable prices. I had the goulash soup which was extremely meaty and tasty followed by chicken breast stuffed with cabbage and bacon which was really delicious. Also on offer was a range of German dishes, fish & chips, burgers and steaks. For dessert, and due to the large portions, we shared the most amazing puff pastry strudel but they also had sticky toffee pudding with puff candy ice cream.

The staff were friendly and welcoming and the food worth every penny. The bill for four was around £90 and this included beer, soft drinks, a glass of wine and a bottle of wine. All in all it was an excellent meal and we will definitely return. Do book in advance.

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great beer, poor service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

I've tasted West beer a few times in other establishments and had high hopes for our first visit to the brewery. My husband and I visited West for the 1st time yesterday (5th Jan 2013) after a walk through Glasgow Green. It was not particularly busy (having worked in bars / restaurants throughout my student days I feel I can judge this). We were not greeted at the bar and it took in excess of 5 minutes to be served despite no body else appearing to be waiting to be served. As the staff were far from rushed off their feet this was quite irritating. When we finally were served the tall brunette male who served us treated it as a chore. Okay so he might not have been having the best day but when a customer is nothing but polite to you it isn't really fair to act as though the customer is ruining your day.

The beer was as good as usual yet very pricey which I think is a bit much considering it is brewed on site (and thus the expense of getting the product from brewery to tap is nominal).

Furthermore the place is a bit too style over substance with every little atmosphere which was a real shame. So we only had the one drink and left.

I'd happily drink a West beer again in the future as it is genuinely good stuff but I'm not likely to be found sipping it at the West brewery.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Greenock, United Kingdom
“Great find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012 via mobile

Booking our annual Christmas work night out looked into the West Brewery having received a flier for the venue and a couple of our colleagues having been there previously for functions.
Bit off the beaten track but very reasonable prices and something a bit different with the German menu, gave a try.
Good decision. Very cosy and pretty for Christmas, had a lovely atmosphere and were greeted with friendly helpful staff.
The meal itself was lovely. I'd personally say the best Christmas meal we have had at a party night and many agreed with this as usually at party nights do not expect that great a standard when cooking for so many. Pleasantly surprised. To find not the case here and served quickly by the friendly efficient staff leaving plenty of time to make a fool of ourselves on the dancefloor!
Thank you for a lovely evening which was enjoyed by all.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Own beer! Lovely!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

If you like places, where you can try beer being brewed on place, this is the place to go to.
Also, friendly staff. Def reommend this place. Food is nice too.

Visited December 2012
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great Dog Friendly Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I heard good things about the West from a fellow dog lover. So difficult today to find places that genuinely welcome dogs, the West did not disappoint. Friends brought their rescue dog Diesel in and he was immediately welcomed with a bowl of water by a member of the staff.
We spent a pleasant couple of hours and the staff were courteous and friendly, we were so impressed we'll be back on a regular basis.

Visited December 2012