“Best lunch team meal for a long time..” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Guy's Restaurant and Bar

Guy's Restaurant and Bar
24 Candleriggs, Glasgow G1 1LD, Scotland (City Centre)
0141 552 1114
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #108 of 1,838 Restaurants in Glasgow
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Doing business, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dessert, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Centre
Helensburgh
“Best lunch team meal for a long time..”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

We had high expectations of this restaurant in the Merchant City, Glasgow. As soon as we arrived, the staff appeared friendly and warm, and the bar/restaurant area itself was immaculate and cosy.

For our first time here, we decided to have the lunch menu. Although it's not extensive, the type of dishes on offer was. There is something there for everyone from Eggs Benedict to sirloin steak.

Although this was a lunch menu, the portions were still reasonable. In particular, we expected about half a dozen prawns in the prawn cocktail, which would be plumped up with loads of lettuce. We were totally wrong. The prawns were plentiful, and covered in a beautiful marie rose sauce. For my other half, this was a first, given that his last memories of having that dish were not great, a regular on any 80s menu, and usually served with pitiful looking shellfish claiming to be prawns, but looking more like shrimp.

After my main course of spaghetti with porcini mushrooms, I was stuffed. However, I couldn't turn down the offer of the menu for dessert, and had bread and butter pudding with gorgeous creamy custard. The pudding was really light and tasty, and a great way to end a beautiful lunch.

I can't believe this is a restaurant that has gone untried by us for so long, but we will definitely be back - sooner rather than later!

Prestwick, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2014

Booked this restaurant for a Sunday evening after hearing rave reviews from a family member. The restaurant itself is lovely and has a warm inviting feel to it. I loved the artwork on the walls and especially liked the big mirror.

We decided to opt for cocktails to begin with which were lovely although they took a while. This was not too much of an issue as I would rather wait and receive a good quality product. The waiter offered water but forgot to bring it.

It took a while before our order was taken - the service is the main problem with my experience here. I'm not sure if they were understaffed but throughout the meal we experienced what I would consider an unnecessary delay for simple things.

To start we had the duck ravioli - this was delicious. The bread given out at the start was also very soft and fresh - no complaints there.

We ordered a second round of drinks which were forgotten about. When we asked the server again it took a further 20 minutes. The drinks sat directly in front of me on the bar and the waiters proceeded to walk by and ignore the drinks - I just can't understand what was the problem with quickly placing them on the table. The restaurant was by no means full and there was no other drinks waiting to be taken out. Although it seems trivial it is the little things that can make or break an event.

When we received our mains I asked for a couple of condiments, one of which was sitting on a unit infront of me beside the bar. This was forgotten about again and I had to ask another waiter to bring some vinegar - yes, trivial again but really infuriating when you watch the server walk past repeatedly and ignore requests.

I felt quite ignored all evening and did not feel the waiting staff matched the food - they were forgetful and did not anticipate needs as one would expect in such a place.

I was so disappointed after the hype that had been built.

Guys is not a cheap option and when paying those prices I really expect great service. Sadly, the service ruined the experience and i would not hurry back as Glasgow is full of other great eateries.

I'm not sure if it is because I'm fairly young that waiters feel they can overlook you - certainly the four older people dining beside myself and my partner were looked after and gushed over.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Sunday best”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Pal ways a beautiful meal in a beautiful setting. Guys is the perfect mix of romance & family dining which transports you to another world! A firm favourite spot

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“first class dinner in merchant city”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Guys continues to provide excellent food and drinks in a fun atmosphere.very efficient service and great live music.Will not disappoint.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“One of Glasgow's finest! ”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

I have visited Guys on many occasions and have consistently found the food and service to be excellent.

Most recently visited between Christmas and New Year and as previously was not disappointed. I had poached egg with black pudding which was excellent. We both opted for steaks which were cooked to perfection along with tasty sides which we shared. Too full for dessert so want straight to coffee (and another prosecco, just to make sure!)

Have also dined on the lunch/pre theatre menu and discovered a wee favourite in the 'Glasgow Tapas'

A special mention also to the efficient and friendly service at Guy's!