“Fantastic time” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grill Room at The Square

Grill Room at The Square
23-29 Royal Exchange Square, Glasgow G1 3AJ, Scotland (City Centre)
+44 (0)141 225 5610
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill Room at The Square is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #335 of 1,869 Restaurants in Glasgow
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Centre
Transit: Royal Exchange Square is located a mere 5 minutes walk from Glasgow Central and Queen Street train stations. The area surrounding is also well serviced by taxis and is approximately 10 miles from Glasgow Airport.
Description: The Grill Room is part of the spectacular 29 Members Club that overlooks the Royal Exchange Square in Glasgow. The restaurant is sophisticated without being overbearing, decorated with dark wooden floors, sumptuous drapes and elegant seating. The menu is equally lavish, arranged by award-winning chefs, and can typically include dishes such as the native Cullen Skink, chickrn stuffed with spiced prawns and grilled wild sea trout. Desserts are equally stylish and can include Eton Mess and chocolate tart with orange sorbet. Three courses, excluding wine, cost around £30 per person; luxurious dining at affordable prices.
Alford, United Kingdom
“Fantastic time”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were down in Glasgow for the weekend and wanted to try somewhere we hadn't been to before and were recommended to try here.

We would have probably walked past the place as its tucked in the corner of Blythswood Square and its upstairs but so glad we discovered it!

The decor was beautiful and we were given a warm welcome and taken up a further set of stairs to the restaurant. Had we known it looked over the square then I would have booked a window table but we had a nice table nevertheless.

The menu was excellent and as my husband is a great meat eater there was a brilliant choice and being the vegetarian I was pleased with what was on offer for me too.

Great wine selection, great service and a great atmosphere....... We'll definetly be back!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Stepps
“Not up to expectations!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

The service was good and the food was ok! We thought it would be of a much higher standard. The onion rings were frozen and not home made, the chunky chips were flavoured with stale fat and one out of 4 steaks ordered was not cooked to order! The side salad was drenched (and had been for sometime) in a strong dressing! I prefer to have the option of adding dressing if I want it! The homemade bread sliced at the table was lovely and the offer of more welcome. All would have been bearable if when we voiced our concerns they had been dealt with appropriately! Why do restaurants ask if you enjoyed your meal if they are not prepared to deal with less than positive responses. We spoke to 3 different members of staff regarding our concerns and £265 later we were not compensated in anyway! To top it all after 1 hour and 45 minutes at the table while finishing off our coffees we were asked to vacate the table. I told the waiter that we had not been informed that we would have to vacate the table by a certain time!.... He didn't care and informed us that it was common practice to have a table for 2 hours! I replied by telling him we were not psychic and we would leave when we had finished our coffee (2 mouthfuls later!!!) he then asked if he could get the bill that we had already ready paid.....how unprofessional. In my opinion The Grill Room is pretending to be something it's not! The single female toilet was dirty and inadequate for the size of premises. I would not be happy if I was a member of this private club as I would expect a much higher standard! I will not return, my 3 friends will not return and none of us shall recommend The Grill Room!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great value & excellent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

We booked the restaurant on the special offer of 29 pound for two with a bottle of wine, the menu was varied & the food, presentation & service was first class, I wouldn't expect anything different under the direction of David Freil the executive chef. Wonderful venue & great location would recommend a visit.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Glasgow
“Carnivores delight”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

Pre-theatre great value nice atmosphere can be a wee bit pretentious though, prices for some beef dishes a bit hard to swallow personally couldn't care if the cow had 30 vestal virgins caring for it and had a penthouse overlooking the Clyde.

Visited January 2013
scotland
“Another fantastic meal at the grill room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Fab deal at the grill room 2 courses for 2 with wine for £29. Cheap deal hasn't compromised on quality, quantity, or service. All in our company said. Best steaks ever not to mention the delicious onion rings. Ask for a booth overlooking the square when booking for lovely views. Looking forward to my next visit!

• Visited January 2013