“Friendly welcome” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nethan Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Nethan Guest House
You added Nethan Guest House to your Saves list
17 Murray Park St, St. Andrews KY16 9AW, Scotland   |
Ranked #36 of 78 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
Sevenoaks, United Kingdom
“Friendly welcome”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We have stayed here repeatedly over the last few months and have found the owners very helpful and welcoming. The hearty or healthy breakfast choices (try the porridge) on offer are just the thing to fuel you for a bracing walk along the beach. the rooms are perfectly acceptable if not huge and spotlessly clean. there are some interesting photos showing the restoration of what was previously a bit of a wreck. Location as highlighted in other reviews is perfect, just seconds from the centre of st andrews, the old course or the famous west sands beach

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

St Andrews is a small town with lots of bed and breakfast and hotels too. This is an ok option and a nice place to stay but not the kind of stay you will remember.Stayed in the family room which is spacious and with sitting area as well. Breakfast was good, fruit and yoghurt and cooked breakfast as well. Location is good.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This place couldn't have been more accommodating. Me and two others stayed in their three person room and it was huge. The owners were incredibly nice and were willing to help us with everything we needed. One of the better bed and breakfast's I've ever stayed at.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

What a contrast to the guest house the night before...more expensive and where the latter was top grade, this one was freezing all night, with poor quality toiletries and furnishings, and a hair dryer fixed to the toilet wall...great for men and short haired women. No....not again!!!

• Stayed March 2013
Bry140t_12, Owner at Nethan Guest House, responded to this review, March 11, 2013
There is of course a simple explanation as to why the room was described as 'cauld', that is the guests failed to check the air vents in the windows were open!! Even with the central heating going full blast it would struggle against cold air coming in the window vents. This was not discovered until after the guests had checked out.
Actually the guests in the room next door had thw windows open in the morning as they were too hot!!

In Guest Houses/B & B's and homes, the central heating is not on 24 hours per day, ours is timed to go off at 11pm and come back on at 6.30am. As the guests did not return to their room until 11.30pm, the heating would have been off by then and with the night in question being extremely cold, it would not take long for the room to cool down especially with the window vents open.

Re the hairdryer comment, all our en-suites have top quality hairdryers fitted to the walls inside the en-suite, there is also another hairdryer in the drawer of the dressing table in every room.

The writer is certainly entitled to their opinion of toiletries and furnishings but considering we are 'graded' 4 star by Visit Scotland inspector, same as the other guest house on the previous night.
We are also graded '4 Star' by the AA

Regarding the comment re charges, you did book the room the previous day to your stay and were quoted a rate to which you accepted, you did book the room after you had checked in to the other guest house, one might ask 'why did you not stay another night at the one you had just booked into?

All in all an unfair opinion posted on Trip Advisor
Dublin, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

My son and I stayed here one night In February. We arrived at 1900 to find the place locked with a phone number to call. I called and the owner or manager arrived within just a couple of minutes somewhat irritated that we had not arrived at 2 PM as he had expected. Our room was a two bed twin with an en suite bathroom. The room was clean and quite small. The bathroom was clean, modern and functional. Breakfast was simple and acceptable. The price was 90 pounds for the single night plus a 2.5% service charge for using a credit card. The cost was way out of bounds for what we got.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bry140t_12, Owner at Nethan Guest House, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Regarding the writers comments re 'over price' - this booking was made over six weeks ago and the rate quoted and accepted and confirmed by e-mail, why complain about the price now? Every opportunity was available to mention this during their stay or indeed at check-out but nothing was said. The credit card surcharge is quite clearly stated on our website and in the rooms, also on check-out it was of course pointed out but again nothing was said.

The guest pointed out on his e-mail that he intended arriving 2pm therefore it would have been courteous to advise arrival would not be until 7pm. The front door of the guest house was of course locked when he arrived which is the 'norm' with guest houses (Unlike hotels where there would be a walk-in reception) There was in fact a note on the door asking to telephone our number as we had to attend an appointment, as it was we were just on our way back when he arrived. The greeting at the door was pleasant with a shake of hands and introduction followed by normal check-in procedure and showed to his room. There was no impression of being 'irritable' as suggested.

The topic of conversation on arrival was him complaining about the previous nights stay in a Hotel that charged £15 for 24 hours wi-fi -- now thats certainly 'overpriced' !! and of course I pointed out that ours was complimentary!
Regarding the Breakfast - I suggest the reviewer looks at our many previous reviews re our quality Breakfast, certainly NOT 'simple and acceptable' actually Nethan has received a top award from the AA for our Breakfasts.

I would conclude with the suggestion this writer needs an education in the difference
between a Hotel and a Guest House both in rates and facilties.
CAPE COD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed at the Nethan for one night this past November. I had been a student at St. Andrews many years ago, and just wanted to spend one night/day walking down memory lane before driving to the Highlands. I made the booking online, and arrived in mid afternoon. Since I was traveling alone, they gave me the single room on the 3rd floor. There is no lift and the stairs can be a wee bit steep, but I climbed up with my backpack.....with one of the owners (Brian?). I kind of wish he had offered to help me, but he was the one puffing when we got to the room so then I felt kind of good since I wasn't huffing and puffing. :)

The room was very small but cozy and comfortable. The bathroom was outside of the room, down the hall a bit. The bathroom was very modern and had been updated not long ago. The bed was comfortable and I slept very well. There is a small flat screen television mounted on the wall.

Breakfast was very good, served in the lovely dining room. There is a buffet with cereal, juices, yogurt, etc., and they also offer a cooked breakfast. The people helping in the dining room were very nice and helpful. Overall, I enjoyed my stay, but probably would have preferred a room not on the 3rd floor. I didn't say anything, so have to accept the consequences. I'd stay there again, but would request a different room.

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone, unless you are in great physical condition, I'm ask for a room on a...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

I stayed at Nethan House in late October 2012 for 5 nights with my son. We arrived very late on the first evening but provisions had made by the owners so that we could enter our room without any difficulty. We were very happy with our room, the size was adequate with two single beds and the level of cleanliness was excellent. Breakfast in the mornings was a treat with a great range of both hot and cold food and the wait staff were extremely friendly and were more than happy to help when requested. My son and I came to St Andrews to play golf for the duration of our stay and the location of Nethan House to the proximity of the golf course was within easy strolling distance. I would highly recommend Nethan House as it was trully a pleasure staying there. The staff and owners were extremely helpful and accommodating in assisting me by making enquiries on my behalf. It was a 5 star experience and it left us feeling like we had experienced a hole in one. Thanks again Nethan House for our wonderful stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Nethan Guest House? Share your experiences!