“great place to stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 19 Hotels in St. Andrews
Niagara Falls, Canada
“great place to stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Stayed at hotel for golf vacation. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Hotel is centrally located to local pubs with local music. It has own restaurant with great Scottish cuisine. Had a great time at hotel pub and night club .

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for one night with my partner as we were in town for a friends birthday. The room we had was really nice, it was nice and cosy and the bathroom was really clean and spacious. Breakfast in the morning was lovely, all the staff were so welcoming and friendly. We will definitely be back when we are next in town, it is situated right in the centre so is very convenient. The car park is also right next door so we didn't have to worry about parking when we arrived.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here to play golf for my 30th and couldn't fault my stay! Rooms were large and very well equipped. Bathroom was immaculate and almost as big as the room! Helpful and friendly staff and good scottish food made this one of the nicest stays I've had for ages!

• Stayed June 2013
Ascot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This is a very nice hotel with lovely staff and diligent management. We stayed for a couple of nights while visiting the university. My silly, distracted daughter left her iPhone in the taxi on arrival which caused a major upset with potentially worrying consequences. We tried calling it but, as always, she had switched off the ringer. Grrrr! My wife rushed down to reception to see if they could help... but with several taxi firms operating in the area, it would have been almost impossible to track it down. Also, the driver had trouble finding this rather prominent hotel and so can't have been local. THEN OUR GUARDIAN ANGEL APPEARED! Nathalie, on bar/waitress duty, overheard the conversation, remembered that we had arrived in a large silver taxi, saw one driving past at that precise moment and ran out into the middle of North Street risking her life to get the phone number of the cab company. That is what I call dedication, diligence, intelligence – the sort of thing that gives this cynic hope that there really are some wonderful people out there. THANK YOU NATHALIE! The owner of the cab company from far off Cupar eventually delivered the phone personally – we were very happy when it finally arrived. Back to the hotel... our evening meal in the very handsomely decorated restaurant was really excellent – my very tender saddle of venison was cooked to perfection. My daughter's Barbarry duck breast was excellent and my hyper-critical wife said that her fish and chips were great. And we finished by sharing the homemade crumble. They have a very good chef and the breakfasts are first class too. And as we're used to London/Berkshire prices we found the bill to be very reasonable. I must say I'm very surprised at some of the harsh comments on Trip Advisor, but I would be neglecting my duties as a Trip Advisor if I didn't point out a couple of niggles. Firstly, there is a nightclub in the basement on Friday and Saturday night, which was audible in our first floor room until 2am. Secondly, our window's sash cord was broken, so we couldn't open the window for fresh air, which in turn made our nicely decorated room a little stale. There was a floor-mounted air conditioning unit but it was noisy enough to drown out the nightclub and also prevent us from sleeping! And our nice bathroom was poorly designed, so that it was difficult to squeeze out of the triangular bath/shower around the loo. But I would not expect accommodation in an old house above a pub to match that of a modern five-star hotel, so all of this is excusable. We're seasoned travellers and found the experience to be very good overall. Recommended!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night at the end of our week-long tour around Scotland. Nicely decorated, decent room but way too hot!! It's obviously a known issue, because there was an air-conditioning unit in the bedroom, but even after leaving it running for several hours the room was still like an oven, and it was too noisy to leave on all night. We would really have liked another night in St Andrews, but there was no way I could stay in that room! However, the breakfast was really good and the staff were excellent. Perhaps it would be better suited to a stay in November rather than June!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Aberdeen
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed here on business for one night. When I arrived the rooms looked nice. My view was a back of another building but I wasn't too bothered as I wouldn't be spending much time at the hotel. They have a lounge downstairs open til 2am so techno music played up til then so not the best sleep I've ever had! Got up early to have a shower no hot water! Called reception no answer called manager no answer. Found a cleaner who said she would check the boiler but never returned. So cold shower it was then half way through the pressure went..

Breakfast was ok. Overall I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed May 2013
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

Ogstons is a wonderful boutique hotel. They did a good job transforming an old Victorian styled building into the 18 rooms hotel. Our room is good sized, very comfortable bed, nice bathroom with good shower. The staff is attentive and helpful. The best part is their breakfast, with several selection of hot, made-to-order dishes, plus the buffet table of regular breakfast items. We had dinner there one night and were impressed with their Scottish and 'fish board' selections. Delicious and good portion, in a nice dinning room facing the North Street. The location is another of their strong point. It is within a short walk from the world famous Old (golf) course and the town center. Being a small university town, nothing is too far away of course. Only one thing they could improve is to have a box of tissue paper in the room. Everything else is perfect!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Ogstons On North Street? Share your experiences!