“Lovely dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 107 restaurants in St. Andrews
Cuisines: Grill
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Delivery, Late Night
Description: The idea for our restaurant has been a wee while in the making but when it comes to age it's got nothing on the building we will soon be calling home.After conducting a little research turns out our building once housed a 'Cleek Factory' owned by Robert Forgan, a name known to many for making the best golf clubs money can buy/We are proud of our building's history and here's hoping a little bit of their success rubs off on us.So with Mitchell's deli next door, in homage to local butcher and proprietor Murray Mitchell we thought it only right...Forgan's opening spring 2013Opening Spring 2013Craft Beers & Ales, Restaurant, Public Bar, Private Bothy's, Ceilidh Club, Cookery classes, Wine Club, Live Music, Monthly Dining Society, Host Your Own Roast, Local Suppliers & Producers.Free wifi access is available every day of the week, ideal if you've got a working lunch or just feel like a nosey on Facebook.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Lovely dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We booked on the recommendation of several friends and were not disappointed. Relaxed atmosphere with a real mix of ages. Service was excellent and food very tasty. Would definitely go again and take our kids!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
ForgansGM, General Manager at Forgan's, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for your 5* review!

I am so pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your visit to Forgan's.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family soon.

Kind regards,

84% Recommend
Stirling, United Kingdom
“dinner at forgans”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

wife and ipopped in for lunchand had haggis ,neeps and tatties,it was delicious, we had scones and coffee to finish, pity the scones were heated up in a microwave and @2.50each were a bit steep did,nt even get cream but got marg instead quite disappointed with that.But its a braw big restaurant and a good atmosphere,would probably go back again but not in a hurry

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate the feedback.

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Haggis, neeps and tatties. I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy the scones.

Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss your feedback in more detail.

I look forward to hearing from you.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind regards,

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We booked this as one of our last meals in St Andrews before moving back to Newcastle. Booking was no problem at all and we got the email confirmation.
We were given a great table in the restaurant, there was only 6 of us in the party. Service was very slow to get drinks throughout the visit. We ended up ordering our meals before all the drinks had arrived. We were then informed that there were no mussels or mushrooms, so two of us had to change our starters. Again service was slow throughout. The vegetarian choices were very poor, the salmon main course was quite small. We all enjoyed the steaks and desserts. I had heard reports of the slow service but we gave this place the benefit of the doubt. I would not return.

• 3 of 5 stars Food
ForgansGM, General Manager at Forgan's, responded to this review, February 3, 2014
Hi Hotcomper,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your steaks and desserts however am very concerned about your complaints of slow service. This is not a complaint we see very often and I am keen to find out when you came in so that I may address this issue specifically with the management team on that shift.

In regards to being out of mushrooms and mussels, I do apologise for this. This most certainly should have been communicated to you before ordering and this will be addressed with our team. For vegetarian options, we do have a gnocci dish and bean burger which are both very popular though the chef's are always happy to prepare an alternative on request.

I would appreciate if you can contact me on events@forgansstandrews.co.uk so that we may discuss your experience further.

Prestwick, United Kingdom
“Very nice place with good food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went here on the recommendation of family on Christmas Eve for lunch. We were told there would be a 20 minute wait. after 30 mins we asked about our table where we were told "we thought you had left" even though we were sitting at the bar! Anyway, we were impressed by the look of the restaurant, very cool and unusual. I could say the service as slow but I suppose it was Christmas Eve and it was very busy with large tables so it wasn't a huge issue. When our food did arrive it completely made up for any wait we had. The food was excellent. All of us (table of 4) had no complaints. I would definitely go back and would tell others to do so. Its a busy place but the atmosphere is good.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Hi craighannah76,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I'm delighted to hear that you were able to join us on Christmas Eve. It was indeed an incredibly busy evening which we did slightly underestimate. I'm delighted to hear that overall you enjoyed your experience and would recommend it to friends.

We look forward to seeing you on another occasion soon.

Stockholm, Sweden
“Great Lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014

I stumbled upon this restaurant while looking for a place to grab lunch. It's a bit hidden and I might not have noticed it if it hadn't been for all the people coming in and out and I am so glad I decided to go in and have a look! The atmosphere was very relaxed and cozy and the staff was great! There was a lot to choose off of the menu and I really enjoyed my veggie burger and fries. My only complaint would be that my beer was served really warm, but other than that I very much enjoyed my solo lunch out and would definitely go back!

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dear travellingtalia,

Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. I'm delighted to hear that you choose (and found!) Forgan's and that you enjoyed your experience here. Our veggie burgers are indeed very popular and I'm happy to hear that you too liked it. I'm sorry to hear that your beer was served warm - this seems unusual as our cellar is chilled though I will certainly share this will our bar team so that we may further investigate any issues.

We hope to see you on another occasion soon.