I booked this hotel as an overnight treat for my wife and I using my Leaders Club account with the Leading Hotels of the World. Check in was excellent - staff very attentive - and we were shown around the hotel and then up to our room. Checked into the Spa shortly thereafter to use the Kholer water facilities and have a massage each. The Spa has been nicely refurbished but is certainly not what I would expect from a 5 star LHW hotel - and it is certainly not in the League of other hotels such as Alexander House outside London (Utopia Spa). Still, it had a number of nice treatment pools and an outdoor hottub - which was a bit cool for my liking and not functioning properly for some reason. Massage treatments themselves were good.
Dinner in the evening was served in The Road Hole Grill - allegedly the 'fine dining' restaurant in the hotel. I would rate this restaurant as merely OK. My wife's scallops were slightly overcooked and her Halibut (main course) was very dry and overly salty. My courses were satisfactory. The service was mainly good - although no offer of an aperitif/canapes was evident - neither was I asked if I would like coffee/tea afterwards in one of the public rooms. Another negative aspect is the open plan nature of the restaurant - we were seated right next to the open kitchen - all lovely from a health and safety point of view as you can see everything - but it is VERY noisy and throughout dinner we were treated to the various rantings of the head chef for the night. Not exactly romantic!
Finally - off to bed - room nice and spacious - comfortable bed - reasonably quiet.
In the morning, we had breakfast brought to the room - now this was impressive. A large trolley complete with hot storage sections for cooked foods. Freshly squeezed OJ, full Scottish, cereals, toast, cakes etc...all very delicious. Topped off with a vase of flowers.
Two major negative points! Shower - awful. Someone has tried to be very clever and provide a monsoon rain shower directly above your head, complemented by a normal shower head on the wall - with a further waterfall effect tap!!! Great in theory - but the plumbing is dreadful - the temperature fluctuates wildly due to the very fiddly knob system used to regulate the temperature.
Also, for the first time ever, I think we may have been subject to some petty pilfering. Not sure how this happened - perhaps room door left open during turndown service - or perhaps dishonest staff. In any event, my wife was missing a whole new bottle of perfume by the end of the first evening. No sign of it anywhere in the room!! We did lodge our concerns about this with the reception and are currenlty awaiting a follow up phone call. Time will tell!
Overall, as a regular user of Leading Hotels of the World, I found this one a little disappointing. But it is still a nice, modern, clean hotel with some well-mannered and helpful staff.
- Also Known As:
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Hotel St. Andrews
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort And Spa
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Hotel
- Old Course Resort
- Old Course Hotel
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa St. Andrews, Scotland
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bordering the renowned 17th ‘Road Hole’ of the Old Course in the Home of Golf, the Old Course Hotel enjoys a spectacular location overlooking the famous links courses, the West Sands beach and the beautiful Scottish coastline.Discover the historic university town of St Andrews, just a short stroll from the resort, and explore the surrounding countryside of the ancient Kingdom of Fife.With a combination of classically elegant and contemporary interiors, the hotel offers quietly confident service, luxurious facilities and a warm welcome in the finest traditions of Scottish hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Tingo, Otel, Venere and Jetsetter so you can book your Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.