“Beautiful hotel - book 'room only' and go for your dinner in St Andrews town centre” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa

You added Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Old Station Road, St. Andrews KY16 9SP, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in St. Andrews
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed at the old course hotel with my girlfriend for a couple of nights in November 2013. The hotel has a traditional feel to it with excellent spa and gym facilities. If travelling as a couple, the Eden rooms (the best rate room type) are more than spacious and clean, and the shower/bath is excellent. The spa has a very long swimming pool (the pictures are not deceptive), large indoor Jacuzzi and a steam/sauna room. Also, the roof top hot tub is very cool!!

The only downside of the hotel was the food. We ate at The Road Hole restaurant on the first night. Although there was many tables available, my girlfriend and I were put in the corner of a big room, with no lighting. It felt like we were eating in the pitch black. On top of this, the portion sizes are TINY so it would be advised to go into the town centre for your dinner (Little Italy was outstanding on our second night). The Jigger Inn, however, is a really lovely little bar with excellent table service.

Overall an excellent couple of nights in the beautiful St Andrews and we would definitely return to the Old Course hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

Just returned from a fabulous overnight stay. The spa is just wonderful and all the staff in every part of the hotel could not be more helpful. The room was very spacious and the bed was just so comfortable. The only little thing we found that could be improved upon is the lighting, especially at the bedside. We were both trying to read in bed but just gave up. This is only a minor point and will certainly not put us off from another visit (hopefully very soon!).

Renfrewshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

Firstly, let me say that all the staff we met were lovely, caring and helpful!! BUT!! We were given a free glass of Prosecco when we arrived and tried to buy another later on in the bar, only to be told that they don’t serve it there - apparently if you want to sparkle there it can only be with champagne at £10 for a 125ml glass! Bedroom lighting not bright enough to read - had to use iphone torch to adjust heating controls. Bath plug did not retain the water! Road Hole Restaurant Restaurant has an open kitchen and the noise of fans etc going on & off was such that it would have been quieter to sit at the end of the nearby RAF Leuchars runway! This was NOT a cheap break and therefore I expected perfection. The Taster Menu dinner (with wines) was reasonably priced and generally good but the Duck breasts were tough - confirmed by another resident on our second night. The lobster starter on our second night was also tough - overcooked! However on both nights the desserts were outstanding so they've definitely got a great pastry chef. We were on a Room only rate but the Breakfast supervisor obviously hadn't heard of such things and advised us, each day, that we could have what we liked as it was all in the Room Rate. Needless to say, it wasn't! We reported all this on leaving and will be interested to see if we strike a chord with any other visitors. Having paid in excess of £800 for our two night break, we can only say it was poor value.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
OldCourseHotel, General Manager at Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent stay at the Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa. I would like to thank you for comments regarding the staff which I will be sure to share as I know they will appreciate your kind words.

In light of your comment regarding serving Prosecco by the glass in the Road Hole Bar we have taken the decision to make this available and I would like to thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I was very disappointed to learn of the service levels you encountered throughout your stay and of course service should be flawless and consistent throughout the hotel. I would like to assure you I have highlighted your comments with our Executive head chef and manager of the Road Hole Restaurant for his urgent review.

Please be assured that your experience is not representative of our usual standards of service here at The Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa. I do hope that you will afford us the chance to rectify this particular experience. Please contact my office directly and we will be delighted to oversee the details of your stay to ensure you experience a memorable visit.

With kind regards,

David Scott - Director of Operations
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Visited here on 3 occasions now for spa days and when passing hotel popping in for a drink. The service and whole experience is outstanding so finally going for an over night stay in the next week and can't wait to get back to that beautiful spa!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

It is rare to be able to report a faultless visit but our stay last week was exceptional. A friendly concierge was the precursor to superb staff throughout the hotel. The rooms are well appointed and the shower is excellent once you can work out how to use it. The wifi in the room is fast and free. The view form the fourth floor cocktail bar and restaurant is a golf lovers dream. We stayed on a bed and breakfast deal and the quality of the breakfast is first class. Over the three days we enjoyed kippers, smoked haddock and the breakfast buffet. The breakfast greeter is as happy a lady as you could hope to meet and the service of tea and toast was fast and efficient. I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

We visited this hotel again with family but there was something a bit different about the hotel although for the life of me I can't figure out just what. (I know that sounds a bit crazy)

The rooms were of the usual high standard and the housekeeping staff brilliant again.

The usual warm welcome was afforded to us by David and Alistair who feel like one of our friends now.

The spa was extremely busy which was a first for us as every time we have been before it's been quiet and relaxing. This time it seemed a bit busy and hectic to be honest. There were not enough loungers at the side of the pool which meant we had to share. We did however have a fabulous pedicure treatment which we thoroughly enjoyed.

Breakfast was again good but the staff appear to have changed again with the exception of a few old faces.We timed it nicely on both mornings as it started to become extremely busy and people had to wait for tables.

The overall stay was enjoyable again but for some reason i didn't feel relaxed as i normally do when I leave.

I know the general manager Mr Pereira has moved on but for me there was something missing. I didn't feel the same ambience about the place and the hotel didn't feel quite as homely.

I believe there may have been a groupon offer or deal on and as much as I am very for these offers i worry that this will take the luxury edge off the hotel.

I still had a lovely time but just not as enjoyable as the previous visits.

• Stayed November 2013
Leven
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

I attended a conference at the hotel which included an overnight stay. I was delighted to find I had been allocated a suite overlooking the golf course. It was extremely comfortable with a spa bath and the largest shower cubicle I have ever seen. The only complaint is that due to the conference I did not have much of an opportunity to enjoy it.

The food (which included a set dinner in the Hall of Champions) was excellent. The Bircher Muesli and Eggs Benedict in the Road Hole restaurant contributed to one of the best hotel breakfasts I have ever had.

Not cheap but very enjoyable

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!