Just back from a wonderful 2 night stay at the iconic Old Course Hotel. We started our stay with some treatments in the spa - and excellent it was too. The welcome and therapists were delightful and massages excellent. Nice thermal suite and chill out area. Not quite up to the Gleneagles spa superlative standards, but not far off. We had a huge Eden Suite which was just gorgeous. The bed was incredibly comfortable and the huge bathtub was fab. As it was a special occasion for us reception sent up some champagne and canapés which was a lovely touch. Breakfasts were brilliant - superb service and wonderful food cooked to order - the eggs Benedict were the best I've ever had. Sandra - the breakfast manager - runs a brilliant team, she's fab.
Throughout the hotel we found top class and attentive service with one notable exception - Sands Restaurant. Service was rushed and harassed, and at the same time painfully slow - guests were complaining and leaving because their food was taking so long to arrive. The menu is uninspired and really dull and way overpriced. We had a mashed potato side - it was cold so we asked it to be replaced. It cam back cold, again. The atmosphere of the place? Non existent - it's soulless, boring and completely at odds with the rest of the hotel. It's so far from 5 star that it's embarrassing for them. The OCH isn't known for its food - and I don't understand that. Why on earth don't they find a young ambitious chef with Michelin aspirations and give her or him a revamped Sands I don't know. At the moment it's one to avoid.
We'll definitely go back to the hotel (if they'll let me in after this review) as it is wonderful and with superb Scottish hospitality. We'll just avoid Sands!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bordering the renowned 17th ‘Road Hole’ of the Old Course in the Home of Golf, the Old Course Hotel enjoys a spectacular location overlooking the famous links courses, the West Sands beach and the beautiful Scottish coastline.Discover the historic university town of St Andrews, just a short stroll from the resort, and explore the surrounding countryside of the ancient Kingdom of Fife.With a combination of classically elegant and contemporary interiors, the hotel offers quietly confident service, luxurious facilities and a warm welcome in the finest traditions of Scottish hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, LHW, Orbitz, Priceline, Venere, EasyToBook, Hotel.de, Despegar.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Jetsetter and Tingo so you can book your Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort And Spa
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Hotel St. Andrews
- Old Course Resort
- Old Course Hotel, Golf Resort & Spa St. Andrews, Scotland