“Thank you for helping make our trip fantastic!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Du Vin

You added Hotel Du Vin to your Saves list
Hotel Du Vin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   40 The Scores, St. Andrews KY16 9AS, Scotland (Formerly St. Andrews Golf Hotel)   |
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in St. Andrews
San Diego, California
“Thank you for helping make our trip fantastic!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

My husband and I recently stayed at the Hotel Du Vin during our honeymoon to St. Andrews. We are big time golfers and figured for our honeymoon we might as well head to mecca! The hotel is in an amazing location - half a block to the Old Course and steps from shops, pubs, the beach, restaurants, and more. We had a sea view room and it did not disappoint with beautiful sunrises each morning. Fortunately for us we had incredibly beautiful sunny skies our entire stay!

Here's a quick breakdown of our review:
- Staff: All incredibly nice and helpful! Their team does it right! Top class customer service!
- Rooms: We stayed in the "Aberlour" room. Spacious room with a big comfy bed! The comforter was heavenly! Wish the TV was a little closer and wish they carried the pay channel because they weren't broadcasting the Masters (which we were dying to watch and it was on pretty late... lucky for us the pubs all nearby had it on). Plenty of space to hang up clothes, etc. Bathroom was nice, and modern. Everything was perfectly clean! I agree with other reviews, as a woman, the room was pretty dark. Hard to do makeup. I'd recommend adding a vanity mirror with lights to the bathrooms or counter top.
- Restaurant: We only did the complimentary continental breakfast each morning of cereals and juice. Can't comment on anything else because we ate elsewhere during our stay.
- Hotel in general: Super trendy, upbeat, dimly lit, clean, perfectly located.

Only negative I can say is that the bar downstairs, which apparently isn't as popular anymore (per one of our caddies) had the party going pretty hard and let me tell you... it's loud. It's right below you and even with the windows closed you can hear everything. We found that to be pretty annoying but luckily it was only one night of real hard partying by the bar goers with the other nights being fairly mellow. That would have been nice to know. To be fair, it's a college town but when you have an early tee time at the home of golf the next morning you want some shut eye.

All in all, I would absolutely recommend the Hotel Du Vin to friends, family, and anyone that asks! We'll definitely be back and stay here!

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

As boutique hotels go, Hotel du Vin never fails to impress. The location of the recently opened St Andrews one also has the advantage of spectacular views of the stunning coastline and sea of St. Andrews.
Parking was found right opposite the hotel- free of charge! We arrived early, having only travelled from Edinburgh. Although our room wasn't ready the lady on reception was very courteous and welcoming. We completed the check in process and having our mobile number she promised to phone as soon as the room was available leaving us free to wander the quaint streets of St. Andrews.
When our room was ready we were absolutely chuffed to bits at having been given the Balvenie- my favourite whisky. The room was really spacious with the most spectacular view of the coast and sea from our window. There is really nothing better than waking up to a view of the sea!
I really couldn't fault the room- spacious; stunning views; bathrobes and slippers provided; tea and coffee facilities- my only gripe being a lack of generosity with the amount of coffee pods given and no complementary water, you have to buy it from the mini bar!!!! Seems a bit mean!
Bathroom again a good size with complementary toiletries and a really good shower.
Seating areas in the bar are comfortable and service is good.
Overall a really good break in a fantastic location- we will be back!

Room Tip: When booking make sure you ask for a sea view .
  • Stayed March 2015, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

You really cannot beat the Hotel du Vin. The location was ideal, the staff were all wonderfully friendly and helpful, and the rooms were amazing. I stayed in the smallest and cheapest possible room, and even then the room and bathroom were immaculate and very comfortable. I was also very impressed with the staff. Even though it was obvious that I was a student traveling on a fairly low budget (just staying here was a stretch), they were all very friendly and treated me like any other guest. If I ever go back to St. Andrews, I will definitely try to stay here again.

Room Tip: Even the small "Caddies' Rooms" are great to stay in if you are traveling by yourself...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What a fantastic location with super staff and comfortable surroundings. Great service. Loved our bedroom in the newer part, great size and wonderfully comfortable with all we needed for a fantastic stay. The food and drink were great too - lovely lunch on arrival in the sunshine at rear of hotel - so quite and private in a busy St Andrews. Breakfast was great too as were our evening meals. The hotel location is fantastic close to golf if that is your thing and an easy stroll to explore St Andrews. Wonderful views too. Our only complaint was that we had to go home.

Room Tip: front of hotel has wonderful views, rooms at rear are largest
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
HDVST , General Manager at Hotel Du Vin, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your stay with us at Hotel du Vin St Andrews - I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel this Easter.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We were in St. Andrews for a graduation. We considered the Old Course Hotel but we decided to book two rooms for two nights at the Hotel Du Vin because of its proximity to the venue for the graduation ceremony.

LOCATION: Great. Building faces the North Sea. Close to the Old Course.

PARKING: You are on your own. Didn't expect a parking garage but not even reserved spots for hotel guests. Just need to drive around the streets to find an open spot.

BUILDING: It used to be an old family house that was turned into a hotel. However, the interior is nicely done with classic touches. The entrance area is pleasant and cozy.

ROOM: Again, nicely done interior with rich colors adorning the walls and floors. However, both rooms were very small. Especially with the king sized leather sleigh bed in the middle, there is little to no extra space.

Also, all rooms do not have air conditioning. One may ask, "then why not open the windows?". Well, you can but it only opens maybe half an inch. So basically, you are in a small room with huge furnitures and rising temperature, with no air circulation whatsoever. We ended up keeping the door open even though people getting on and off the elevator across the hall could see inside the room.

STAFF: When we first arrived, there was a bell boy who was really pleasant. Although he could not help with parking, he warmly greeted us, unloaded our bags and carried all of them up to the room. However, the rest of the staff were very unpleasant. We asked for a power adapter but the young lady at the reception said in a condescending manner that she had few, some guests didn't return, it isn't her problem and that I should be carrying it myself. Unbelievable. It is okay to not have adapters available for immediate use. I understand that its not a guaranteed amenity. However, she could have told me she will look for it or if she finds some, she will let me know. It should have been handled in a professional manner.

I spoke with a supervisor who apologized and said the hotel is new, so it doesn't have a system in place. However, Hotel du Vin has 15 other hotels in the UK, so that was not a good excuse.

Later that evening, the rude lady brought two new adapters to the room, so I do appreciate the gesture to make things right.

-----

Overall, I do not believe the hotel is worth the £800+ we paid for the stay. I understand that St. Andrews is a generally expensive area and has a high cost of living (apparently, the grocery store Tesco there is amongst the most expensive in the UK) but even if I take that into consideration, this hotel does not have value.

We should have stayed at the bed and breakfasts in the town.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
kinross
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Staff helpful, friendly and efficient.....excellent service. Lovely bedroom, clean, fresh, well equipped and a comfy bed and the view, from our room at the front of the hotel, no matter the weather was fantastic! Sure parking wasn't always easy but it is St Andrews, my advice find a space, leave the car and explore St Andrews on foot it is worth it. Breakfast was very good and we were lucky to be staying over the weekend so thoroughly enjoyed Sunday lunch especially the market tables with an amazing choice of seafood, pates, hams, etc. Can't emphasise too much how well we were looked after, how comfortable we were made to feel, how much we enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed the choice of wine!

Room Tip: If you want a view ask for a room at the front! If you need lots of space in your bedroom then check...
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Perfect place to enjoy the golf at St Andrews or for that casual business trip. The rooms were very big, impeccably clean, the beds large and extremely comfortable. Large flat screen tv's. A cupboard with an iron and iron board. Lovely large bathroom with a spacious walk in shower. Staff were extra attentive and pleasant. Bistro serves lovely breakfast and good evening menu.
So overall i was pleasantly surprised!!
As a business traveller to over 80 countries, this has to be one of my favourite quick stop city hotels i have been to.

Stayed April 2015, traveled on business

Niall Thompson

Been to Hotel Du Vin? Share your experiences!