“Will be back” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
Scotland
“Will be back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Having driven past many times, we went in for coffee this morning and will certainly be returning. The driveway in is rather rutted but plenty of parking space. Butcher's shop / deli looks good tho' we did not buy on this occasion. Very pleasant helpful staff, good menu. Cafe fairly busy tho' they said that this was a quiet day - 1st Spring day we have had. Latte, Earl Grey tea and large home made fruit scones with butter and home made jam all very good. £7.05 for 2 is very reasonable. Warned us that it can be very busy with queues at lunch time. Lack of soft furnishings does mean that noise reverberates a bit but I have been in much worse places for that. Overspill Barn looks interesting. Will return.

• Visited May 2013

85% Recommend
“Amazing!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We visited here for the first time this afternoon and we can't wait to go back. This is such a brilliant concept with fantastic food. My husband and I both ordered burgers, they did take a wee while to arrive but definitely worth the wait. They were cooked perfectly, served on a lovely seeded roll (only suggestion would be to have the roll toasted as it did get a bit soggy), the chips were delicious and my salad and dressing were super tasty. We also ordered onion rings (THE best we've ever had), and a barbecued corn on the cob which was very juicy and definitely the best way to cook it.
Had a wee nosey around the larder, was busy so didn't buy anything this time but wold love to go back again when we have more time.

• Visited May 2013
Ayrshire, Scotland
“A real farm shop - brilliant!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

Happened upon this place when at the Eden Clubhouse (it's across the road). Unfortunately had lunch at the clubhouse - big mistake - should have eaten here! Bought a few items in the shop. Beautiful fresh produce, meat counter, pies, lasagnes etc to take home. Great range of other produce, cheese, preserves, etc. Had coffee and shortbread (really good fresh coffee). Was so impressed returned following day for breakfast. Don't miss this place if you're visiting St Andrews.

Note to owners - would have been nice to know you had wifi and suggest use of QR code for customers.

UK
“Bad timing?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

I was in St Andrews for a meeting and colleagues suggested I try Balgove for a coffee rather than my usual spot. I arrived at 4:15, noting that Balgove is open until 5 pm. The restaurant was not busy and there were lots of staff around. A chalk board behind the counter, however, indicated that the cafe would close at 4:30 pm.

Realising that the cafe would soon close I asked for a coffee from a supervisor at the counter. I was asked to take a seat and my order would be taken. After some time, and with no service, I went back to the counter and again asked if I could order a coffee. By this time staff were counting money, clearing up and cleaning tables. A server eventually came over, muttering about last orders, and my coffee finally arrived.

It was all very awkward and I felt very uncomfortable. It could all have been avoided if the supervisor had simply taken my order when I arrived and made me feel more welcome. Bad timing on my part and a poor show on the part of the supervisor. Otherwise a nice place, and some friendly staff. Better to put cafe hours on the outside of the building - to warn people what to expect.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Excellent food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

We went here for lunch, obviously a fab reputation as there was a 20 minute wait for a table. My daughter had the fishcakes & I had soup of the day, both gorgeous, staff very courteous, produce locally sourced, definitely try & visit

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere