“GREAT LOCATION” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Arran House

Arran House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. Andrews
Arran House
You added Arran House to your Saves list
5 Murray Park, St. Andrews, Scotland   |
Ranked #71 of 79 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
“GREAT LOCATION”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

Spent a night here and really appreciated the location and even managed to park car on the street outside at no cost which was a bonus.Very friendly staff and good sized room.Quiet even being on a street.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

A three star B&B awarded by the Scottish tourism board, convienently located in the city centre. It is walking distant to the restaurants, shops & cathedral.

We stayed on night in a double room with attached bathroom. The room had a double bed (firm) with two bedside tables, two cane chairs & a small round table, tv & wardrobe, dressing table. Bathroom was small but adequate. Ironing board & iron were also provided in the cupboard.

The options for breakfast are continental or cooked breakfast.

Overall, a clean & centrally located B&B.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

I was attracted by the price of the Arran House and by its central location (although nowhere in St Andrew's is far from anywhere else). I was arriving late in the evening and was promised an entrance code by email before I arrived. It never came but there was a mobile number on the door and an invitation (by name) for me to ring. I did so and a pleasant lady told me the code to the key box. She had to repeat it a couple of times as reception was poor. I don't know if it was her phone or mine.

Arran is a classic British B&B - a converted house, a bit rough round the edges but usually that's ok. Arran is just a shade too rough. The bed was comfortable and the shared bathroom easily accessible. There were tea and coffee facilities but the kettle had not been used or cleaned for quite a while. I'm not a stickler for cleanliness but a good once-over with a duster would really have helped the window sills (I must be getting old, in my younger days I wouldn't have noticed a thing like that!)

Breakfast was fine - decent porridge and a grill that was very hot but only barely on the right side of greasy. The lady serving breakfast was surly and it took quite a few of my best winning smiles and compliments to get a smile in return but, she did her job efficiently.

Would I stay here again? I would look for somewhere else at the same price and, If I couldn't find anywhere, I'd certainly stay here rather than pay an extra £20.

Room Tip: All seem much the same
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

Great B&B right smack in the middle of town and minutes walk from shops, golf and the beach. Reasonable rates with a full and hearty breakfast cooked to order. The lady that greeted us was very helpful and friendly giving us keys to the room and front door so we could come and go as we please. Definitely a change from hotel life especially when you only want to sleep in the room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Andrews, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

I live in St Andrews, & my Mum, who can't manage stairs, stayed here for a few nights in December as they have ground floor bedrooms with a walk in shower. I chose the twin room, in case she got confused, she did, so I ended up staying too.
We were treated with total understanding, and all in all were delighted with our stay.
The room was very warm & comfortable, there was a comfy sofa to sink into, everything was as it should be.
Many thanks to Anne & her family, & Carol.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet, ground floor bedrooms great for the less able.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed for one night whilst attending a wedding. Room more than adequate with comfortable bed. Everything spotless. Breakfast was well cooked and appetising: more than enough for us. Owners very friendly and helpful throughout. Was picked up by the police for going the wrong way down the one way street but I understand this is rather a common occurrence as the police simply gave me a quiet and polite ticking off! I'd stay here again.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed here for one night while attending a wedding in St Andrews. Have no complaints.....accomodation clean, comfortable and warm.Breakfast was plentiful and well cooked. I forgot to take soap etc and was pleasantly surprised to find everything was provided. A word of warning Arran House sits on a one way street take care when arriving in the dark as the signs are not very clear...thanks to the local boys in blue for their kind understanding!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to Arran House? Share your experiences!