“Outstanding” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 19 hotels in St. Andrews
uk
“Outstanding”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

Stayed here this week, we hosted a meeting and dinner for customers, facilities were very good, food excellent, staff very friendly, would heartily reccommend this hotel

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

380 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
Glasgow
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

My husband and I stayed at this Hotel when we got married at St Andrews in June. We booked a Suite plus more standard doubles for our bridal party. However, compared to suites we've stayed in in similar hotels, the room was quite shoddy and although the view was great (if you like Golf!) the Suite was nothing to write home about. Also, we discovered that our bed was two singles pushed together, which considering we were staying there on Honeymoon was less than ideal! When I spoke to Reception about the two beds, the woman there looked at me as if I was mad for expecting a proper double bed and explained it was 'ok, its a zip-bed' or some such thing. They put another mattress on the bed so we wouldnt feel the join but it didnt really work and they didnt seem that interested that we weren't happy. I left a comment card on check out detailing our displeasure with the bed, and never heard from the hotel again. Very disappointing standards considering we spent a substantial amount of money there on our own room and our other guests. I wouldn't stay there again as I've stayed in much nicer B&Bs in St Andrews for about 30% of the cost. A total rip-off.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Chester, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

I recently stayed at Rusucks on a golf trip with 3 friends. This was not my first stay. I was there in 2000 and had a nicely decorated, bright room with a partial view of the Old Course 18th fairway. What a difference since then. My room this time was an absolute dungeon with 1970s era, garage sale furniture (see posted photos). When I opened the door to my room I couldn't believe this was the same hotel I stayed in previously. The furniture was older than when I stayed there 10 years earlier. I arrived at night so I turned on all of the lights in the room. The room was still extremely dark and one of the light bulbs was burned out so I called down to have it replaced. A gentleman arrived and told me the hotel did not have any light bulbs and he could not replace it until the following day. He also told me that every light bulb in the room, including the overhead was a 40 watt bulb. Honestly the room was as dark as a closet and not much bigger. The room was so dark that I could not even read a magazine. The only way I could read was to go into the bathroom. The view from my room was a mossy roof and ugly air conditioning units (see posted photos). My traveling mates complained about mold in their shower and rooms that looked out on the car park. When I went to the front desk to complain about our rooms the front desk clerk was extremely rude and could not have shown less interest. When I called my tour operator to complain, he told me the GM of the hotel told him that we didn't even have the worst rooms in the hotel. Can you imagine if my room wasn't the worst, what a less desirable room must have looked like? In addition to all the other limitations of the hotel, the bar tender was also rude. As a result we cut our stay at Rusucks by 2 days and checked into The Old Course Hotel. What a difference. During our stay in St. Andrews we told several locals who we met about our experience, one of whom formerly worked at Rusucks and they all told us the hotel had "big problems." Does the hotel have a great location? You bet. But all the other negatives far outweight the benefit of the location.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2010

Just 20 paces off the hallowed 18th fairway of St.Andrews this has to be the hotel to stay in when visiting the Home of Golf. Fantastic views over the golf course on one side or step out into the main street of St.Andrews on the other, no better location possible.
Highlights were super friendly and efficient staff, Scottish breakfast to set you up then Club Sandwich post golf . A few beers later on in the bar underneath the hotel to round off the day. Watch the slicers hack it into the hotel from the bar, great entertainment. Rooms, named after Open legends such as Palmer,Locke etc are spacious and comfortable.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
chester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2010

booked giving just a few hours notice, on arrival we were greeted by a fast,friendly and proffesional check in staff. our rooms were presented in first class condition with all ammenities in their place. bar and breakfast staff were very courteous.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Stayed on a golf trip and it could not have been more perfect. Top quality hotel, super food with friendly and attentive staff. Location perfect for anyone interested in golf and the lovely town of St Andrews. Fabulous views over the 18th hole at the old course and the beach beyond. Staff very helpful and use the golf concierge to help you get bookings at the courses. Absolutely recommend it.
I've also stayed with my wife in the past and it has been upgraded in recent times. She loved it too.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Yardley, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2010

Stayed at Rusacks for 5 days..upgraded to Suite and the space was great and so was the view. Cleanliness was below average and the staff was not friendly at all. Not once did we receive a hello or a good morning. Location was great..right in town-while the husband golfed at the Old Course..I shopped. Very comfortable being by myself in town. Went to room that was originally booked the last day due to someone had Suite booked....had view of street which was ok, but size was small and cob webs on ceiling, toilet had to be fixed. Overall, was not that impressed with this hotel for the money! The breakfast that was included was good, but service in restaurant was horrendously slow..

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Macdonald Rusacks Hotel? Share your experiences!