“Not a Great Experience” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #66 of 77 St. Andrews B&B and Inns
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
“Not a Great Experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Came here for lunch today after a few people had mentioned the food was good. There was myself and my friend...two diners. We were greeted at the bar and asked to go upstairs. Once seated a young guy gave us our menus and took a drink order.....so far so good. Once our drinks arrived we ordered our food. I ordered the GP burger that came with cheese and bacon, served with coleslaw and chips. My friend ordered Chicken Fajita Panini also served with chips and salad. You know when your chatting and suddenly your aware you haven't had your food, well that is what happened to us we waited 45minutes and not one person apologised, or explained the delay. The place was not full either and although I am not expert I think I could have managed to get an order this size out a lot quicker. When our food eventually turned up it was a BIG disappointment. The server did apologise as he explained "a lot of people all came in at once" and we were offered a free drink. My burger was cold as were the chips and bacon that was on top of the burger. My friend received a Chicken Wrap with Tortilla Chips not the Panini with normal chips. I wondered where my burger had been to get so cold before being served. We could have complained and demanded the correct order served hot but quite frankly we did not have another 45 minutes to wait. Right at the end of our meal we observed two kitchen staff in the dining area. I pray these were KP's as they both had dirty chef whites on. Another comical mention, the special curry happened to be Beef Madras and one customer was told they had run out of rice!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Onegolf P, General Manager at 1 Golf Place, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Good Day,

Your personal feedback is very important to us and would like to thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our venue

I would like to express my sincere apologies on your recent dining experience here at One Golf Place. We were at fault on this occasion and no amount of excuses will remedy your initial first impression.

We do believe in giving the best possible guest experience and therefore would be very grateful if you would accept an invitation to dine with us again compliments of the house.
If you have any other queries regarding this matter please feel free to contact me at your earliest convenience

Mr Murray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Southsea, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Being in a location with a large amount of tourists, especially in the summer months, you could be mistaken for thinking somewhere like 1 Golf Place would be overpriced and overrated. It's completely not. A great location just minutes from both the "Old Course" and the sea, this pub was a great place for a bit of lunch and a pint.
Great prices, even cheaper than my local back at home for a pint, and the food was of a good standard. Staff were friendly and attentive too.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We ate lunch in 1 Golf Place whilst in St Andrews last weekend.

The food was great with a good selection to pick from. It was very reasonbly priced and the staff were very attentive.

Will definitely go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Onegolf P, General Manager at 1 Golf Place, responded to this review, March 9, 2013
Good Day,

I would like to say thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent visit to One Golf Place.

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed it and we hope to see you in the future

Dunfermline, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I had a work thing on in St Andrews, and went for a few drinks at 1 Golf Place with colleagues afterwards.

It's a good bar, with a warm friendly atmosphere. Great selection of cocktails and not too dear. The toilets are also very clean and well-equipped. The live music is a good addition, as you can see some up-and-coming bands for next to nothing. I don't think St Andrews has many music venues, so this is good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Good Evening,

I would like to thank you sir for taking the time to write a recent review about your trip to One Golf Place.

We thrive on all our reviews and are trying to better ourselves with products and services with the aid of reviews such as this one. Ideally it gives us a sense of where we are going right

Many Thanks
Peterhead
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

the Hotel is 100 yards from the Old Course, you book in at the bar which was busy when we arrived but staff were very friendly booking us in and taking us to our room. We eat in the bar and food was very good and keenly priced. The rooms looked like they could do with being freshen up but were spotlessly clean, breakfast was very good you help yourself to cereal, tea and coffee while a full breakfast is cooked for you.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your recent review on TripAdvisor.

Its very warming to know that you enjoyed your stay and found that everything was in order. I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to write a glowing review.

I hope we see you in the near future

Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

My Partner and I spent New Year in St Andrews and stayed here as we had been in the bar a few times and really like it. We payed a very good price of £45 for the room. We were advised that the kitchen was closed on the 1st and only a continental breakfast would be available. The room was a great size with a seperate shower room. The shower could do with a bit more pressure. The only downside to the room was that despite the heating being on full at all times the room was still very cold. I e mailed the manager to notify of this and received a reply that this was the companies first winter in charge and a full room renovation was taking place before the Spring season which would sort this problem. He also invited us back at the same rate as we paid once the renovations have been complete. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and it is ideal for Golf outings and anyone visiting St Andrews.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Just returned from our bi annual pilgramage to St Andrews with the boys and again it was over ll too quickly.We set off from Glasgow looking forward to my two days golf and staying over as we did earlier in the year at No 1 Golf Place. The welcome we recieved from the staff here is second to none and would put larger chains to shame and probably offers the best value for money in the old town in relation to accomadation , great tasty food & service. Ok , the rooms may require a bit of redecoration but they are spotlessly clean and are - wait for it - only a piching wedge to the hallowed turf of the 1st tee!. The modern lounge / bar areas are on two levels with fantastic views looking down to the Old Course and offer a fantastic range of beers and spirits . I am already looking forward to March 2013 and hopefully the golf can match how good this little hotel is.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to 1 Golf Place? Share your experiences!