“First New Year Outing” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Kirkcaldy
Kirkcaldy, Scotland, United Kingdom
“First New Year Outing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

Very disappointing experience at the grill.After many years of excellent food and service at the Dean Park hotel we were let down when we visited on the second of January2013 with relatives who had travelled up from Yorkshire.Table settings were not proper ,paper napkins were used.clearing of drink glasses did not happen,staff did not serve properly and i was brought barbicue ribs after ordering rack of lamb with no advisement and this was with only two tables ordering. Although the duty manager did reduce the bill and accepted there had been short comings on the service and food mix up, our evening was ruined. Liz&Trev White Wendy&Graham Alderson

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Brian W, General Manager at The Dean Park Hotel, responded to this review, January 7, 2013
Elizabeth W, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent dining experience. Let me apologise that things were not to the standard that you expect from us.

Please contact me directly as I would like to respond to you personally.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Fife Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

I have used this hotel for clients staying while visiting my work and they reported it as good . This stay was to attend our Christmas night . The room booked was room 8 which had a lovely four poster bed . The food was very good quality and service excellent .
It is close to the motorway , but with no noise issue . Would not hesitate to book again .

• Stayed December 2012
Brian W, General Manager at The Dean Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Gmoncur, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I am delighted you had a great stay and hope you enjoyed the party night. I will ensure I share your comments with the entire team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon, may I take this opportunity to wish you a Merry Christmas and happy New Year.
Glenrothes
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

High Tea at the Dean Park on a Sunday afternoon was a ritual for many over a good number of years, ourselves included. Regrettably the management in their wisdom decided to change the format which meant "high tea" was no longer an option as a result there are many of us very disappointed with the alternative. On a visit yesterday we were offered a festive menu at £25 per head or a general menu neither of which appeared particularly attractive. Rather than choose to go elsewhere we settled for their fish and chips which was accompanied by a pot of tea and toast. Frankly this was an extremely poor meal, the fish having absolutely no taste whatsoever, and there home made tartare sauce being not to our liking. The toast was browned only on one side and the chips were undercooked. Not so very long ago this was an excellent dining venue with staff known to all their regular customers and nothing was too much trouble. Regrettably this is no longer the case and it might be an idea for the current management to re-think their strategy and consider whether they might wish to tempt back their old customers who, like us, were regular Sunday visitors.
Allan and Liz Adam, Glenrothes

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Allan A, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent visit, I am concerned about the food quality issues and have addressed these with our head chef. We recently reviewed our Sunday offering and no longer offer high teas, but we do offer an all day long Sunday Roast offer.
I always listen to our guests and I will consider the return of high teas on our next menu change and thank you for taking the time to make your suggestions.
St. Andrews, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Had an over night stay at the Dean Park Hotel following my husbands works Christmas do there. We checked in late afternoon, the room was ok, but nothing to write home about. The room could do with redecorating, the paint work is tired and marked, the carpet quite marked, window sills a bit grubby, the bathroom floor was badly damaged and had loose and cracked tiles. The toilet was difficult to flush as the handle qas tight up against the wall. The bed was hard and old. We had room 19, it is right at the front of the hotel and had a "balcony", the door to the balcony had a very flimsy bolt, no handle or lock, definitely not safe for children, if we did have children staying with us I would have asked to be moved. The room was noisey, both from the people stood outside smoking and leaving the hotel and the corridor with creaking floor boards and door slamming, also it was so very hot, there didn't seem to be any way of turning the heaters down, we had to open windows to get some fresh air. The meal was good, piping hot and quite tasty. The staff were quite pleasant and everything ran smoothly. The band was good and a good sized dance floor, which was full. Over all a very good atmosphere. I can see that this hotel does it's main business through events and weddings, it is not the place you would go to spend a few days holiday. Plenty of parking.

Room Tip: room 19 was noisey and the bathroom floor badly damaged
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brian W, General Manager at The Dean Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Cara9567, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay and party night. I am concerned that you had a few issues with the room, I have shared your comments with our handy man and he has been able to rectify a few of the problems. The safety and security of our guests is paramount.
I am delighted you enjoyed the party night, and I will pass on your comments regarding the tasty food to the chef.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I would like to comment on the " breakfast with Santa" event I took my 6 yr old daughter to recently. Absolutely lovely! The kids enjoyed a lovely breakfast of sandwiches pancakes and waffles and the lovely Santa spent time going round having a wee chat with each child which made them all very happy! Santa was more than happy to take plenty time out for photos and after helping the kids make some reindeer dust for Christmas eve they were all given there little gift and a certificate telling them they are on the nice list! All in all it was a lovely morning and all the kids seemed to really enjoy it. I felt it was well worth £7.50

• Stayed December 2012
Brian W, General Manager at The Dean Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Lillybelle2006, Thank you for your kind review of our breakfast with santa. I am delighted your daughter enjoyed the day and meeting Santa too. I have a secret hotline to Santa and I will ensure I share your feedback with him.

May I wish you and your daughter a Merry Christmas
dunfermline,scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

With a few friends we visited the Dean Park Hotel for a music gig.
Had a meal which was very good quality and value, but the service by the bar staff let down the rest of the hotel.
Drinks service was painfully slow and the Port and Sherry were served in the wrong glasses and with ice!! I also overheard another customer returning a drink which had lipstick marks on it before it had been used!
The function was fantastic and our afternoon was really enjoyable - hopefully the hotel will up their game in the bar!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Brian W, General Manager at The Dean Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
ErnieN, Thank you for your review of The Dean Park Hotel. I am concerned that you experienced issues with our bar service, I have taken your comments on board and have shared them with the team. I am delighted that you enjoyed the food and music. The Jazz Sunday is a fantastic event.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

We only stayed here for one night, but could have stayed so much longer, staff were excellent, the food was great and the rooms were excellent to, very clean comfortable, breakfast was great to.
Not got a bad word to say about this hotel, we will definately will be returning.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Brian W, General Manager at The Dean Park Hotel, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Bluenose999, I am delighted you had such a comfortable and enjoyable stay with us. I will ensure your comments are shared with the entire team, particularly housekeeping and the breakfast team.

Been to The Dean Park Hotel? Share your experiences!