Arrived in what on the map looks like the lovely town/village of Glenrothes. In fact it is a squalid place, with the area of activty from what we could tell, coming from the Golden Acorn wetherspoons and the takeaway opposite. Got checked in, and travelled to the 5th floor via a lift which struggled to hold 2 people, and was old fashioned to put it mildly.
The room, whilst a smoking room, was not too overpowering. The door had a hole in it, from someone's leg or fist, and the wall had a gaping hole in it covered with wallpaper. The walls were paper thin, and due to the loud pub, loud locals, and louder guests, a comfortbale night wasn't possible. The bed was lumpy, and made us both itch, and the food in the pub downstairs was awful. I'm amazed somone could prepare scampi and chips so badly. Bar staff were friendly, and i got asked for something i wasn't expecting from one even though my fiance was right next to me! The redeeming feature was that the price of pint varied from £1.49 to £1.89. A Bargain!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Golden Acorn hotel has recently undergone some new and exciting changes transforming many of the bedrooms and communal areas of the hotel. We have 26 bedrooms all of which are available as either King Size Doubles or Twins. All of our rooms are en-suite and include tea and coffee making facilities, complementary water, a hair dryer and Flat Screen TV. FREE Wi-Fi is available throughout the hotel & in the bar area.Rooms with adjoining doors are available on request these are ideal for families or larger groups. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Golden Acorn Wetherlodge Hotel Glenrothes
- Golden Acorn Wetherlodge Glenrothes
- Golden Acorn Hotel Glenrothes, Scotland