“Christmas Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Falkirk, United Kingdom
“Christmas Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

3 couples - none of whom had eaten here for a number of years - had a great night. Warm welcome and seated in the lounge with drinks to allow time to choose from the Christmas Dinner Menu. Escorted to our table and drinks brought through by their lovely staff. Food was fantastic. Wine was super. Atmosphere warm and friendly. Service was exceptional - only couple of weeks ago dined at Gleneagles Strathearn Restaurant and we were left to pour our own wine. Not in Powfoulis - staff there insisted that was their job! Example of their attention to detail. Thoroughly enjoyed the evening and can't wait to return.

• Visited December 2012

Falkirk, Scotland
“Fantastic hotel but food was disappointing!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have been coming here with friends for a few years now for our pre Christmas celebration and can honestly say that this is the first time we have been disappoiinted. The place is lovely, old fashioned and traditional and the staff are terrific but there were several elements which let the place down this time. We had booked well in advance but when we were shown to our table in the dining room it was the only one not decorated for Xmas with hats, crackers etc. and we had to wait while staff scurried around to find some. There were five of us and I think I drew the short straw with my meal as every course was disappointing. The batter on the prawn starter was heavy and doughy, and the duck on the main course was so tough and overcooked I couldn't get my knife through it and even had difficulty when I borrowed my friend's steak knife! It was a shame because the sauce with it was delicious. The veg were, I think, frozen and not very appetising and my friend had to get her green beans changed as hers were overcooked and black at the ends. Normally I pass on desert as I find it difficult to eat more than two courses but as I hadn't eaten much of the duck I thought I'd give the Christmas pudding a go. Bad move! It was like a cheap shop bought pudding, very heavy and dense with not a lot of flavour. I think they must have a new chef as we have always been delighted with our meal in the past, and it was such a disappointment this time. I didn't want to complain as the staff were just lovely and the place was very busy but on reflection I maybe should have. We had coffee and liqueurs in the lounge after dinner and my friend had to send her drink back as it tasted funny. It had been poured from an almost empty bottle, but he owner replaced it from a new bottle - a very large measure this time and apologised which was fine but I think the overall experience means that we may look elsewhere for our pre Christmas meal next year. Apart from the food we had a lovely night and couldn't fault the staff.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Stirling, United Kingdom
“First class old fashioned service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Have been coming here for our anniversary for past 23 years!! It ticks all the boxes - service, atmosphere, great food, and the most gorgeous lounge with leather Chesterfields with log fire. Mr Barrett and his hard working staff ensure your meal is served when you want, how you want, and to the very highest standard. The dining room reminds you of how restaurants should be, and the whole experience is special. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff and we look forward to our visit every year!!!

Larbert, United Kingdom
“Impressive, Excellent and Good Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

What can I say probably the best kept secret in the area if you want to impress for a very reasonable price then this is the place to go, excellent food and great prices around £30pp for the set silver service 4 or 5 course dinner which had a super selection to choose from (none of your order at the bar stuff here).

Drinks in the lounge while our order was taken for dinner then ushered through when the food was ready, we all had starters and I can honestly say the homemade pate was fantastic rich and tasty, I passed on the homemade soup course but based on what everyone else was saying it also was very good. Steaks and duck for the mains my steak was cooked to perfection and my daughter was absolutely raving about how good the duck in orange sauce was a really nice balance between the flavours. Desserts well out came the trolley hard to make a choice with so much on offer but I settled for the keylime pie and wow talk about giving your taste buds a tickle seriously good.

After dinner a few drinks at the bar while a taxi was phoned for us nice way to relax at the end of the meal.

What can I say it was a great night out service with a capital S from all the staff nothing was to much trouble.

I would recomend booking a table in advance but a little wait is well worth it if you just walk in as you relax in the lounge with your drinks.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scotland
“Lovely Traditional British Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This is the kind of place you take your mum to for dinner, or like in my case your in-laws take you for lunch. Lovely traditional British atmosphere, a menu that's not changed much for years but which is still as good as ever and has something for everyone, and polite and friendly staff. if you have a drink before your meal in the lounge and you've not finished it yet when your table is ready, staff will bring it to your table so you don't have to carry it yourself. Where else does that happen?