“What a disappointment !!!!” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Scotland
8 attraction reviews
“What a disappointment !!!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We attended a funtion at this hotel. On arrival the reception, spa and bar area looked lovely. Having stayed here before we kind of knew what to expect.............how wrong were we?
The room we stayed in was small, the paintwork was chipped and grubby, the lampshades had holes in them needed putting in the bin and the bed was small!! The bathroom was clean enough however it was also grubby and in bad need of redecoration. The positive side was that the room was clean.

I was really disappointed with the room - not at all what I had experienced previously and to be honest would be reluctant to stay again. On speaking to guests at our function their comments mirrored mine so we know that the rooms were the same throughout the hotel.

The rooms were way overpriced to be honest you would get a better room in the local travel lodge at half the price.

The internet connection was terribly slow and the the mobile signal was not great either!!!

Visited November 2012

stirling
“what a day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

my partner and i went here for a massage and it was great good value and the staff very friendly and very helpful and the hotel is beautiful to we never stayed for dinner but have hear it is good so we will go back and try

Visited November 2012
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Data blocking, grubby room, poor value.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

First of all to balance this review I stayed at this hotel on business, I stay at many hotels and always try to be open minded, although my company pays I still try to find the best value and comfort whenever possible.
My first impression was good upon entering reception, helpful staff, modern decor and a nice feel to the place.
I paid £95 for the room but that didn't include a cooked breakfast (more on that later).
My room was, well... definitely not four star, worn, and worst of all not very clean, especially the bathroom. Not good.
So to add to the disappointment which quickly boiled over to a nagging annoyance which really put me off was not the fact that they wanted to charge £10 for WI-FI but that the hotel blocks your 3g data signal from your phone or laptop in your room so you don't have much choice apart from working in the bar or in your car at the far end of the car park. I am used to paying for extras but this is going over the top and to prevent me from receiving email on my phone is simply not justified and underhand!
Luckily the gym is very well equipped and my fellow gym goers were pounding the treadmill and using their nike plus app after paying £10... just right for motivating that latent adrenaline!
Food was good but be ready to pay extra for sides including chips i.e. Half roast chicken £16.00 and then another £3.95 for chips/potato etc other wise it comes with a half tomato and a small mushroom.
Breakfast was a non event, the cooked breakfast at £16.95 is more than in Mayfair, where does that cost come from in a Hotel next to a gas refinery in Grangemouth?
Sorry to say that despite the very friendly staff, the data blocking did it for me and food is 35% too high. Apart from the gym and spa it is not 4 star and should present better value for money.
I won't visit this Macdonald Hotel (a shame because I visit this area regularly) again and would like to know if data blocking customers 3G is this chain's policy.

Visited October 2012
east lothian
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic spa!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

Had a brilliant day! We got a great deal on spa day for 2 which included champagne afternoon tea. Sandwiches were excellent and very fresh, scones were still warm, and cakes very tasty! Treatments were brilliant, my friend had the facial and I had the best 'firm' massage ever! Decleor products were lovely too. The new gym facility was top notch, and I loved playing a game of sudoku while on the bike, making the time just fly by. We've both been to MacDonald hotels before, but this was our first experience of the inchyra and we both would definately go back. Many thanks to the very attentive staff.

Visited September 2012
Kerry, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
“Not 4 star”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Stayed here as it was the best price and best ‘standard’ I could find to be near Edinburgh. This is an old building which I feel has had the reception, bar and breakfast area (which is in the bar) refurbished and the corridors, stairs and rooms have got a lick of paint and new carpet.

Likes: Staff were friendly, helpful.
Room décor as nice, modern.
Breakfast was plentiful and varied.
Breakfast room, bar and reception area very clean and looked recently refurbished.
Rang reception to ask about train times into Edinburgh and a staff member arrived to my door within 10 mins or so with a print out of times – excellent.
Iron and iron board in room.
Large plasma TV.
Tea / coffee facilities.
Ice bucket to have ice from the bar.

Dislikes: Rooms are not 4 *.
No mini bar. No safe. No air conditioning.
House keeping really need to up their game – toilet leaks, always water on floor in toilet. There was a hole between the wall and window frame that we could see through.
Breakfast was plentiful but the presence of numerous ‘fruit flies’ was quiet disgusting landing on the food.
Distance to ‘Polmont Train Station’ – was told at reception it was a “ 5 min walk”. Under no stretch of the imagination could you walk to the station in 5 mins. We walked and walked and met a guy who informed us it was about 15 mins walk from where we met him. My husband returned to the hotel for the car keys and we drove to the station which has free parking which we didn’t know. Chances are if you are staying at this hotel you have arrived by car so it would be nice if staff told guests it was an 8 / 10 min drive with free parking. To walk I would think would take at least 25 mins.
Unsightly smell in corridor and stair way – at 1st I thought someone had ordered room service (fish) and that’s what we smelt but the smell was there for the duration we were there.

Cannot comment on gym or spa as did not use either.

Visited August 2012